You are here

Only two x64 compatible 8x8 USB Midi Controllers.....seriously??

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Only two x64 compatible 8x8 USB Midi Controllers.....seriously??

Postby chris... » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:56 am

BlueGuy wrote: it might be sellable to Mac users, as I've heard doesn't need drivers on MacOS?

The drivers it needs are built into MacOS.

(and as far as I know, still supported today)
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:49 pm

I'm trying to decied which one to get. These are the only differences I've been able to see just from the manufacturer's websites.

MOTU MIDI Express 128
- Only bus powered
+ LED for computer I/O

ESI M8U XL
+ Bus power & external power

(From the ESI manual: "[there is] a power connector for an optional power supply. Note that normally no external power supply is required as M8U XL gets powered via the USB bus.")

I like the flexibility of having a choice of both bus and external power on the ESI, so you don't have to turn on your computer to be able to use it.

Has anyone heard anything about reliability and performance regarding these two?
BlueGuy
Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I too have been less than cheered by the paucity of 8x8 interfaces out there now... at least they come up 2nd hand. I could definitely do with another one, as I run about twenty hardware synths here and none of them have USB. I suspect the people who designed USB were glints in the eyes of various postmen when half my gear was made...

Anyway, in answer to the above query:

I use a MOTU MIDI Express 128 with my iMac G5, an Intel 2-core Duo, and it's never done anything except work. Having a couple of spare ports on the front is handy, and they're nice and solid. The plastic window is a bit crummy, but overall it's a good unit. You won't be able to use it standalone though, if that's an issue. MOTU have the Snow Leopard drivers for download for both 32- and 64-bit I think.

The other thing is the MOTU uses time stamped MIDI. I don't know if the ESI does that.

I was thinking of adding an old Unitor8 or AMT8 to my setup; another possibility is the M-Audio 8x8 but if drivers are a problem, well, that kind of settles it. I always had terrible trouble with my old Midisport 2x2, some really apalling timing errors that were no way attributable to my (erm, "loose") playing.

I think it's a shame manufacturers don't seem to think there are still plenty of us out there using gear that isn't all written in code that looks like Terminator crashed into the deck of the Enterprise while fighting Optimus Prime. I really can't do with all that software design mentality. That's partly why I prefer hardware.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BlueGuy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for your input!

nathanscribe wrote:The other thing is the MOTU uses time stamped MIDI. I don't know if the ESI does that.

Hm, yeah what does "time stamped" MIDI really mean in this case? I know my AMT8 has time stamped MIDI as well, but I think it needs support in the host (Logic) as well for it to work.

I can't find the mention about time stamping on MOTU's website anymore though...
BlueGuy
Poster

Previous