You are here

Can anyone explain the confusing Emu E4 range to this Akai user

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can anyone explain the confusing Emu E4 range to this Akai user

Postby Kolakube » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Im considering at some point an E4. However there seems to be classic version??? how does that fit into the other version? And whats the deal with the turbo? Is there a 28 valve version? Funnily enough I remember Akai used to do a fuel injected version, im sure there was a CD3000"I"

Is it standard to make the range as confusing as poss. I mean Akai with the S2800 coming before the 2000 and looking identically like the 3000XL.

Anyone shed any light.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Can anyone explain the confusing Emu E4 range to this Akai user

Postby arkieboy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:04 pm

It is a bit confusing. You'll get a definitive answer on the emusonacid forum, but as a quick guide, get an Ultra as they have much more processing power and can be upgraded to use FAT formatted drives.

In the Ultras, there are essentially four models: the E5000 Ultra which has 4 outputs (expandable to 12) and one midi in; the E6400 Ultra which has 8 outputs (expandable to 16) and one midi in; the E4XT Ultra which is essentially an E6400 Ultra with a DWAM board which has digital in/out, another set of midi ports and a computer keyboard input; the ESynth Ultra which is an E4XT Ultra with a 64Mb ROM board containing predominantly synth waveforms; and the E4 Platinum which has every expansion option known to man including the semi mythical RFX effects board.

Variously you will find extra input and output boards installed by the user. I covet the DWAM board for the extra midi in and the keyboard input, and of course, the RFX board which is effectively a digital mixer and effects unit, capable of processing external audio alongside the sampler's. But then again, in a home studio the extra outputs would be much more useful.

Hope this helps

Steve
arkieboy
Regular

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 pm

kolakube wrote:Funnily enough I remember Akai used to do a fuel injected version, im sure there was a CD3000"I"

The 'i' versions simply meant they SCSI and a whopping 8mb of sample ram bundled in. I had an S2800i, and still have an S3000i. They were otherwise no different to the standard models.

kolakube wrote:Is it standard to make the range as confusing as poss. I mean Akai with the S2800 coming before the 2000 and looking identically like the 3000XL.

I could see the confusion with the S2800 vs the S3000XL, as they do indeed look nigh on identical. But the 3000XL has much more in common with the older S3000 range. Just in slightly compacted form. I prefer the previous generation Akai's to the XL's and onwards though. Everything prior to the XL's definitely had it's own 'Akai' vibe to it. But XL onwards sounded that bit more generic to my ears.
The 2000 though was just, ugh.. Im not sure many people even gave those a second glance, as that tiny screen likely gave them nightmares of trying to program Roland D110's :tongue: But I believe they are of the "XL" era..

Sorry, here I am waffling on about Akai's when you really wanted to know about Emu's :headbang:
My brief experience of them wasn't good after the Akai's. Programming them was completely different, and to me just seemed less logical. But hopefully you'll have an easier time of it, once you have sussed out the range!

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Yes I can see how the letter "I" could stand for SCSI?? :]

I think im going to not get into Emu mate after posting. Its just more hassle. Im sticking to my PC and the AKai range.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm

this will help wrt to the Ultra range. As you can see the Esynth actually sits below the E4XT..

http://www.synthony.com/vintage/emuultracomp.html

This thread will also be helpful:

http://www.emusonacid.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2403
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby arkieboy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:31 pm

THAT was the webpage I was looking for, Jonny

It does indeed sit below the E4XT Ultra - hmm. Forgot about the 128 voice board...

Steve
arkieboy
Regular

Postby fatbenelton » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:45 pm

The good thing about Ultra's is that every model can be upgraded...My Esynth has the 128 voice board for example. If you are looking on Ebay it's worth looking at the specs for each one as the E5000 advertised may actually be spec'd like an E4XT.........
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Postby hollowsun » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:51 pm

~Paul wrote:I could see the confusion with the S2800 vs the S3000XL, as they do indeed look nigh on identical. But the 3000XL has much more in common with the older S3000 range. Just in slightly compacted form. I prefer the previous generation Akai's to the XL's and onwards though.
The S2800 was a 'baby' S3000 and shared the same internal circuitry but with a smaller case and fewer options.

The S3000XL had new (and less expensive) internal circuitry although the OS/UI was pretty much the same as the previous models with the addition of the MULTI mode. It was decided to use the S2800's panel/case as Akai had all the tooling for that and it enabled to bring the 3000XL out at a good price.

The S2000 used the same internals as the XL but a big cost down was achieved with the stripped down front panel of course.

~Paul wrote:The 2000 though was just, ugh.. Im not sure many people even gave those a second glance
It was the best selling hardware rack sampler ever!!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

The "i" version of the S2800 came with SCSI but didn't it also come with digital i/o over the standard 2800

This was my first Akai sampler and actually first ever sampler
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 pm

hollowsun wrote:
It was the best selling hardware rack sampler ever!!

Seriously? Crumbs.. I had no idea..
I couldn't be doing with that diddy screen and UI myself. It works for older 900/950's etc though, because you had less features to work with anyway. Still, I suppose they were cheap and powerful for their time, and when sampling was too much to ask of the average computer.
I would guess S2000's sell for pennies now, given that the likes of an S3000 is already silly cheap compared to what they cost new...

vinyl_junkie wrote:The "i" version of the S2800 came with SCSI but didn't it also come with digital i/o over the standard 2800

This was my first Akai sampler and actually first ever sampler

I don't believe it had digi IO. It was an option I think. Im pretty sure my S3000i doesn't have it either.
The 'i' was simply 8mb, instead of 2mb ram and scsi. That was it for extra's.

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:54 am

I had no idea the 2000 was such a good seller, but even I did contemplate it when I was young as I couldn't afford a full fat Akai at the time.
Thing with the S-2000 is that it runs MESA so the small screen isn't such an issue as all samples are loaded and edited from a Mac or PC so I guess that's why it sold so well, also as a cheap 3000 compatible playback device is not bad..say you had a 3000XL or 3200XL and needed another one you could get the cheap 2000 and load all the 3k programs into it and be done at half the cost.

Man the 2800...I remember I got the sampler dirt cheap from SOS but then paid almost as much as I got it for on those hard to find 8meg ram cards lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:35 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:Thing with the S-2000 is that it runs MESA so the small screen isn't such an issue as all samples are loaded and edited from a Mac or PC so I guess that's why it sold so well
Yep.

But the 2x16 LCD wasn't actually that bad once you got the hang of it.

vinyl_junkie wrote:also as a cheap 3000 compatible playback device is not bad..say you had a 3000XL or 3200XL and needed another one you could get the cheap 2000 and load all the 3k programs into it and be done at half the cost.
A lot of people did buy it almost as a playback sampler expansion module for their S3000, whatever.

And with care, a 3000 and 2000 could share a SCSI drive. I knew someone with several sharing a common SCSI drive. Rather him than me!

Eeeee! Them were't days! ;)
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kolakube » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:38 am

thanks for the great links.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Wigworld » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:00 pm

If you need 128 voices, get a 128 voice Emu at the outset. In theory they can be upgraded with a 128 Voice card, but I know from experience that they're impossible to find.
Also, get one with an RFX card if you can.
Wigworld
Regular