You are here

Help, I think I've been scammed on Readers Ads

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help, I think I've been scammed on Readers Ads

Postby jam05 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi there

I paid for a Neumann tlm 103 mic on Saturday morning to a Craig Adamson and believe he may be the Gary Hume that SOS warns about when you send an email through readers ads. His paypal address ended with kyrro.com which, when I researched, found to be a domain based in Dundee in Canning Street with the contact being Gary Hume. The SOS readers ads makes a link to this page:
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2008/02/08/newsstory10909342t0.asp

and it very much sounds like the same guy - I am really concerned about losing my money and being ripped off like this.

He replied to my emails very quickly until after I'd paid and then nothing. He said he'd send a tracking number as soon as he had posted the item on Saturday but I've heard nothing.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or can anyone give me some advice as to what to do?

Any help would be much appreciated and renew my faith in humanity!
jam05
New here

Re: Help, I think I've been scammed on Readers Ads

Postby geefunk » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Contact admin here at SOS as soon as you can - they will have some advice. If you used paypal, you should have some protection with them, I guess? Hope it works out...
geefunk
Regular
I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over
Twitter

Postby jam05 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks

I've sent an email to SOS admin and spoken to paypal - there's a good chance I'll get my money back apparently. Still upsetting though that people do this sort of thing, especially to musicians!
jam05
New here

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

jam05 wrote: Still upsetting though that people do this sort of thing, especially to musicians!

I agree these people are scum, & truly hope you get every penny back, but I have to ask 'musicians as opposed to who?' Nurses? Shop Assistants? Foreigners? The disabled? Write a song about it, I'm sure it'll help with the healing process.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Postby jam05 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:30 pm

Dynamic mike

Fair point - it's a pity people do this sort of thing full stop. I've been a care assistant, cleaner and I'm now a postman - any one who gets swindled is a victim. But perhaps some are victimised more readily - musicians more so than arms dealers, bankers and the power elite I'd say.
jam05
New here

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Sorry Jam05, I knew exactly what you meant, I've just been in a funny mood all day because of certain people with an 'artistic' temperament who think they're somehow special & shouldn't have to face the same harsh realities as the rest of us. If you've worked as a care assistant & a cleaner you know what it's like to hold the shitty end of the stick, so I'm certainly not including you.

You're right, scammers prey upon the gullible & the greedy, and most of us suffer from a bit of both. I however have developed a trait which renders me immune to such scams; I'm so inherently lazy that the scam has normally been exposed long before I think about responding. :lol:

Thanks for alerting us to the reappearance of this particular scam, I hope it all works out okay for you.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Irrational beliefs justify unthinkable actions

Postby Ed_J90 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:12 am

Not being funny but I wouldnt buy anything from readers ad's unless I was meeting the guy and unless the user name was someone ive seen on here with 500+ posts and conducted themselves in a good way...

Sorry to SOS but I dont even visit the ad's section anymore :frown:

pity you couldnt make it like the ebay thing, with feedback etc.. and proof of address etc.. when signing up to the ad's side of things :frown:
Ed_J90
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am

Ed_J90 wrote:
Sorry to SOS but I dont even visit the ad's section anymore :frown:

pity you couldnt make it like the ebay thing, with feedback etc.. and proof of address etc.. when signing up to the ad's side of things :frown:

I appreciate what you are saying but eBay is a specific site with vast resources -- even then, I know people who have been scammed there.

SOS Readers Ads is a free service (currently) designed for its readers -- though way more non-readers seem to advertise there.

We are planning ways to improve security, but nothing we do can stop an excited would-be buyer transferring money direct into the bank account of someone who they have only met via email, know nothing about, etc and alarm bells do not ring when the name of the bank account does not match the name used in emails. :frown:

Soon, readers ads might well have an "enhanced" service option, whereby a fee is paid to advertise (free to subscribers) such that SOS has real credit card or Paypal details... even then, there are ways around this, and scammers will always win out due to human psychology.

Finally, scamming on SOS Readers Ads is inevitable, but only a very small percentage of the 1000s of purchases made every month result in problems.

cheers,
Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 11,065 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
Get FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby grab » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Re Readers' Ads, I've bought a few things from people on there, and never had problems. But I either use Paypal, or I post a cheque to a home address. So if it goes wrong then you've got two fallback options - with Paypal you can talk to them and you've got a good chance of getting your money back; or with their home address you can send the police round.

Also *do* insist that what you're buying is sent recorded delivery, so if it has genuinely got lost then there's some comeback that way.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jam05 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:22 pm

I did use paypal and can start a dispute after 7 days of payment which i will do.

Thanks for advice re recorded delivery - but, as a postman, I would recommend special delivery. Specials receive a lot more respect and if a postie loses one, you face heavy disciplinary!

Hopefully I get my money back, thanks for all the advice.
jam05
New here

Postby danny_g » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems, jam05 but these scams really are a tiny minority compared to genuine buyers and sellers as Ian sez above:-
"Finally, scamming on SOS Readers Ads is inevitable, but only a very small percentage of the 1000s of purchases made every month result in problems."

I took a chance on a very high priced piece of vintage analogue kit advertised in SOS Readers Ads over Xmas, of all times, when everything, including the weather, went titsup, apart from our email exchanges, which were great and very accomodating - to the extent that we ended up on skype with the seller giving a clear demo of the machines' startup routines and voice checks.

Best approach IMO? Go very slowly and carefully with the initial emails - suggest direct bank-to-bank transfer (fully traceable and secure and also avoids the ideological dilemma of dealing with a Citigroup subsidiary!) - the response to that alone should tell you whether the seller is on the level or not.

Someone above mentioned not doing any deals without face-to-face - in my case this was hardly possible, being far away in another country and all...
danny_g
Poster

Postby Kenny Tosh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Canning Street? That's literally round the corner from my house. Want me to go round and beat him up for you? :)
Kenny Tosh
Regular

Postby nhirst » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:40 pm

jam05 wrote:...perhaps some are victimised more readily - musicians more so than arms dealers, bankers and the power elite I'd say.

dunno about bankers. the whole global economic meltdown thing kind of caught them unawares... and they seemed to believe the maths geniuses that told them it couldn't happen.

hope you get your money back.
nhirst
Regular
REVERE
Bearpark

Postby bassjamm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 am

I've literally just experienced the same thing with this 'seller'.

I've notified the SOS team and Paypal to see what can be done.

Have you got anywhere yet?

Jamie
bassjamm
Poster