You are here

Sound quality difference btwn, logic/apogee + protools 8 le

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Sound quality difference btwn, logic/apogee + protools 8 le

Postby deadman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi all, i'm at a decision making point and need some informed opinion. I am currently running Logic, while it is great at most things, it WILL NOT work as i want it to in terms of midi programming, so i must change, i have to, there are many different DAW's out there which DO suit me, but Pro Tools 8 LE has been at the back of my mind for a while, i actually like the idea of dedicated hardware for software, doesn't harm Apple : ) however, i have not used it much and cannot comment on the quality, So, the question is, is there anyone out there that has used the 003 systems and RME or Apogee based systems that could tell me if the Digidesign stuff (converters/preamps etc) are up there with the same quailty as those others? Thanks in advance for any help... :)
deadman
Poster

Re: Sound quality difference btwn, logic/apogee + protools 8 le

Postby Jonnypopisical » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi - If Logic does not do MIDI as you need then I can't see Pro tools doing it either as protools has the least advanced MIDI spec of any of all the DAWs?!! :headbang:
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster
Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:28 pm

ditto really.... AFAIK There's nothing you can do in any other DAW for midi that you cannot do in logic... indeed, there's stuff you can do in logic that you cannot do in any other DAW>...

so please explain what you mean... maybe a way to do it can be pointed out to you....

protools Midi is positively prehistorically clunky by comparison
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Ditto the comments of the guys above.

But as to hardware - I wouldn't swap the mic pre's in my RME Fireface for the ones in my MBox 2. The RME is livelier and more crisp.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm

I have to ask what do you want Logic to do in regards to MIDI?
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby deadman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm not on here for a natter, i do not want to go into why, even the logic pro help forum were no help, because, TRUST ME! Logic has an insurmountable midi input issue with which i cannot work! End of story. This was not my question, i wish i hadn't mentioned it, just want to know, FROM PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY KNOW! If there is a major quality difference betweem the likes of Apogee/RME converters and pre's, vs the Digi 003 series. Thankyou...
deadman
Poster

Postby Zukan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

If your question is only about converters then the DAW choice will have no effect unless you need to use proprietary software like PT that requires generic (M-Audio,Digidesign) hardware to run it on.

Additionally, your list only contains makes and not models for the converters. BUT, if I had to stick my neck out then the only comment I would make is that the 003 features at the bottom of the list assuming you are going for like for like in terms of feature sets.
Zukan

Postby The Fold Studios » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 pm

I'd say that the 003 converters would stuggle to compete with anything RME or Apogee have to offer. To some extent it's a subjective thing, but there are certain aspects which you can look at objectively... I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, for example, that any apogee converter would have significantly greater dynamic range, lower total harmonic distortion and noise, a more stable clock with lower jitter etc.

From a subjective viewpoint, I don't much like the preamps in the 003, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to them running through the wooly converters that follow them.
The Fold Studios
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Is this the time to mention PT LE's lack of Automatic Delay Compensation.

Makes it a dead duck for me. :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby deadman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Zukan wrote:If your question is only about converters then the DAW choice will have no effect unless you need to use proprietary software like PT that requires generic (M-Audio,Digidesign) hardware to run it on.

No! Really? i didn't realise!!!! sorry for the sarcasm, actually i'm not, i think it's obvious from my post, that is WHY i am asking about the 003!!

may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, for example, that any apogee converter would have significantly greater dynamic range, lower total harmonic distortion and noise, a more stable clock with lower jitter etc.

How sure? Enough for me to blow £1500 on? This is getting me nowhere...
deadman
Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't know but i'd have a look in seeing about that sand in your vagina as it seems to be iritating you.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby The Fold Studios » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:50 pm

deadman wrote:
The Fold Studios wrote: I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure, for example, that any apogee converter would have significantly greater dynamic range, lower total harmonic distortion and noise, a more stable clock with lower jitter etc.

How sure? Enough for me to blow £1500 on? This is getting me nowhere...

Easy Tiger. The kind of specs I was talking about shouldn't be too hard to find on the internet. I'm not saying you should just splash out your cash on whatever has the best specs, but that's what's quantifiable, everything else is opinion and you may have to form your own by testing out the gear you mentioned. I did give you my opinion about the 003 pres but like I said, I've only heard the 003 pres through the 003 converters and I've only heard RME fireface pres through their internal converters. If you were thinking about, for example and apogee ad16, you would probably be looking at stand alone preamps infront of it, and that opens up a whole new can of worms. I think everyone on here is doing there best to be helpful.
The Fold Studios
Regular

Postby Persuazion » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 pm

I personally wouldn't encourage the guy. He's clearly got issues. For someone so cocksure it's surprising he doesn't know the answer already.
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Agreed. His response to Zukan has lost any help he's getting from me.

Getting angry and sarcastic is not the way to ask for help. :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby JamesSimpson » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Don't get upset on the internet, go to a shop that has both, take some headphones, reference material, listen to both converters. Decide which you prefer, buy that one.

Either one can be used to make great records.

DAW workflow and compatability with projects would be my primary choice, that being said, I'd prefer apogee converters over stock digi ones anyday.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Next