You are here

Amiga vst

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Amiga vst

Postby Uberatmos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi, anyone know of any VST's out there that emulate the old Amiga computer sound chip?

I'm a big fan of the old Psygnosis games that appeared on the Amiga and wondered if there was a plug in with these sounds!

Cheers!
Uberatmos
Regular

Re: Amiga vst

Postby caveman82 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Plogue Chipsounds is supposed to the best 8 bit emulator around.

http://www.plogue.com/?cat=5
caveman82
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/earwighoney

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 pm

The Amiga 'sound' wasn't synthesised 8-bit chip sounds, it was mostly heavily 'compressed' samples - compressed as in using low bit depths, low sample rates and very short loops to get all the PCM data to fit in 512k of RAM with the rest of the game along with it.

The music was usually composed with 'trackers', something I'm glad being a relative newcomer to games music that I've never had to use! Perhaps tracking down some old tracker voices designed to be as memory efficient as possible will help you get those kind of sounds, along with some bitcrusher/sample divider plugins to get a crunchier sound.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Mahoobley wrote:The Amiga 'sound' wasn't synthesised 8-bit chip sounds, it was mostly heavily 'compressed' samples - compressed as in using low bit depths, low sample rates and very short loops to get all the PCM data to fit in 512k of RAM with the rest of the game along with it.

The music was usually composed with 'trackers', something I'm glad being a relative newcomer to games music that I've never had to use! Perhaps tracking down some old tracker voices designed to be as memory efficient as possible will help you get those kind of sounds, along with some bitcrusher/sample divider plugins to get a crunchier sound.

I loved Trackers... These are pretty much what I started out with although I never stuck to them for long as I was more into MIDI sequencing (Music X and Pro 12 being my first Sequencers). You can do some funky [ ****** ] with trackers though and the programming becomes second nature once you're in the swing of it. I had the opportunity, a few years ago, to write some music using MadTracker for a PDA game that me and a few mates did. Happy days :lol:

I think Sonix on Amiga, then Soundtracker was where it all started for me. In fact, maybe Rock Monitor on the C64? It's been a while.

Wasn't the Amiga soundchip called Paula?

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby GaryM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:14 pm

Peter Conz Connelly wrote:Wasn't the Amiga soundchip called Paula?

Yep. Paula did the sound and I/O, Denise did the video and Agnus controlled the chipset. Revisions to the chipset had a Fat Agnus and a Fatter Agnus.
GaryM
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Peter Conz Connelly wrote:Wasn't the Amiga soundchip called Paula?

The custom Amiga chips were named Agnus, Denise, and Paula, and you're correct that Paula was the soundchip.

I had quite a few Amiga game soundtracks published back in the 80's. Ah, happy days :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Some very cool stuff! I have just got into the Commodore 64 SID chip sound, honestly didn't know what a great machine this thing was!
I had one when I was a kid but didn't think anything of it lol I preferred my out dated 48k Sinclair ZX Spectrum hahah
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 am

But the 48K Spectrum didn't offer ring modulation and oscillator sync :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby johnny h » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 am

Psygnote wrote:Hi, anyone know of any VST's out there that emulate the old Amiga computer sound chip?

I'm a big fan of the old Psygnosis games that appeared on the Amiga and wondered if there was a plug in with these sounds!

Cheers!

Check out renoise

It uses the same tracker format that was popular on the amiga, but its totally up to date with vst instruments, plugins, plugin delay compensation and loads more. Its an amazing bit of software!

If you are looking for the old amiga sound its great because you can load up old tracker files and steal all the old crunchy 8-bit 11khz samples; there are millions of tracker files around too if you look for them.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:09 am

Martin Walker wrote:But the 48K Spectrum didn't offer ring modulation and oscillator sync :beamup:

Martin

Some programmers still got it to do mental stuff though! The music on the intro screen to Jet Set Willy still gives me nightmares!
And Gargoyle soft's "Heavy on the Magick" was beautiful.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 pm

feline1 wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:But the 48K Spectrum didn't offer ring modulation and oscillator sync :beamup:

Martin

Some programmers still got it to do mental stuff though! The music on the intro screen to Jet Set Willy still gives me nightmares!

Look what it did to Matthew Smith!! 8-)
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby grab » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Happy days indeed. Although "Guru meditation error" anyone? :crazy:

Which games did you do, Martin?
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Strewth - I wrote original soundtracks or converted the coin-op music for about a hundred different projects over the years I was doing it. Here's a page I stumbled across recently featuring a few of my ancient CBM64 music tracks (we're talking about 20 years ago!):

www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/list.php%3Ftype%3Dmusician%26name%3DMartin%2520Walker

As for writing the games themselves, the two most popular were Hunter's Moon and Citadel.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby GaryM » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:57 pm

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_Moon_%28computer_game%29

"The game was well received, gaining a score of 92% in the well-known computer games magazine Zzap!64.

According to game's creator Martin Walker, Hunter's Moon was inspired by the children's game Spirograph."
GaryM
Regular

Postby franciskimberley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Martin, did you write or convert the coin op music for Rodland? :ooo:
franciskimberley
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:52 am

This was famously apparently sampled and ripped off by Timbaland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtUVC11ba4g&feature=related

Fantastic Amiga tune! Played on OctaMed

edit..I think it was originally done on a C64
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 am

GaryM wrote:From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter%27s_Moon_%28computer_game%29

"The game was well received, gaining a score of 92% in the well-known computer games magazine Zzap!64.

According to game's creator Martin Walker, Hunter's Moon was inspired by the children's game Spirograph."

My god, I didn't even know that page existed! :blush:

Martin
Martin Walker