You are here

Music Production Degree's

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Music Production Degree's

Postby Steve Hill » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 am

Play nicely people...

I'm with Red Bladder here. He may be loath to use ten words where one will do but he's a dour Highlander. He's also right.

Nobody ever hired a music producer because he'd got a good CV. It's what have you done.

You can spend three years at uni clocking up a lot of student debt which you can spend decades struggling to repay - and no doubt have some fun, and getting some very broad educational benefits too, like how to research, and self-motivate etc.

Or you could spend a fraction as much on a home set-up and start producing music 24/7. And that's fun too. At the end of three years you'll know whether you're any good a it, but you'll have fewer debts. And maybe the makings of a decent showreel.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mowens800 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 am

I would say, complete your media production degree, get some kind of job and work sound as a hobby. Spent the £15k debt minimum you would acquire on studio equipment, books etc, and then practice. I would steer away from music production. I have a Bsc (Hons) in music technology, so we studied some of the stuff the oldies above say you need (electronics, acoustics etc). I’m not working in ‘the music industry’, but I am still using the skills from that degree (most people from my course are not). A BA in production might just be playing on a computer, not really a transferable enough skill when you don't get that studio job. Always have a plan B.
Mowens800
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Ok guys, I think everyone has input some useful insight into this thread but the dude has asked for a specific comparable recommendation.
I think he well aware now of the pitfalls etc.

He intends on continuing with his decision so please afford him the response he is after.
Zukan

Previous