You are here

absolutely definitely a stupid DI box question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

absolutely definitely a stupid DI box question

Postby jimbobbley » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:11 pm

greetings all,

i'm having a total wobble here and haven't got the equipment in front of me to check, can someone help me out with what i'm sure is a very stupid question?

if i want to take the output of a laptop (probably through the built-in headphone out as i'll only be playing stereo files) and get it into a mixer on which i've already used all the mic inputs, can i put it into 2 DI boxes (or a stereo one) and then simply plug from the XLR out of those into a line in on a mixer?

my head says 'no' but then i start thinking that plugging, for example, a keyboard into a DI then into a mic channel you'd almost always have to pad it down, so maybe it is a line level signal providing what you feed it is at a high enough level?

really being thick here, sorry.

john
jimbobbley
Regular

Re: absolutely definitely a stupid DI box question

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:32 pm

the answer is probably yes, provided that it's either a passive device, or has a battery or external power supply, because you won;t be able to run it from phantom power as is usual....

and unless they're good ones.... is there really much benefit.... have you tried simply plugging the laptop directly to the mixer??
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby jimbobbley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:00 pm

thanks max. the reason for DI-ing is that the laptop is going to be a fair distance from the mixer so i figured it would be better to do a longer run as balanced XLR rather than just get a really long 3.5mm -> two TS jack unbalanced cable..
jimbobbley
Regular

Postby planetnine » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:31 am

If the line-in is balanced jack instead of XLR, make sure you use FXLR to TRS jack adapter leads on the end of your mic leads to keep it balanced (assuming here your line-ins are balanced). As for active boxes/phantom/batteries, -what he said... ;)

>
planetnine
Regular
Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.