You are here

Digidesign 192io interfaces popping and eventually not powering up

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Digidesign 192io interfaces popping and eventually not powering up

Postby Discobox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Hello all,

As much as I hate to bother everyone with this, I thought it might be worth throwing out to see if anyone had any advice. I'm very much reaching my wits end.

In our studio we have three Digidesign 192io interfaces. We bought the original three in early 2007 and since then have had around 6 or 7 replacement units with none of the original units currently remaining. The problem starts when they sometimes make a slight 'pop' when turned on at the start of a session. Then over time they seem to get slower and slower to power up until eventually they pop their last and refuse to power up at all.

We have the units spaced out in an Argosy rack with plenty of space left to the side for their fans. I regularly clean the rack to get rid of dust and the only other units in this double rack are patchbays with a couple of amps as far from the 192's as possible. We use power conditioners and these have been replaced with new ART ones after we suspected the previous Phonic ones might have been the culprits. I've also tried adding surge protectors between the mains and power conditioners and replacing all the IEC leads to the interfaces.

These are the only electrical items in the whole studio that we have a problem with.

Our usual morning schedule will be to turn the room power on at a main cutoff switch for all power points in the room, then turn on the power conditioners and then the interfaces (with everything else - computer, etc - after that).

Once powered up they operate perfectly and we've never had a problem during a session. It's only when power cycled that the problem seems to occur. Obviously this issue takes a while to manifest so it's really hard to know if anything we try works until another unit starts to defect.

Basically, if anyone has any recommendations of either solutions or ways to diagnose this problem then I would be most grateful. I need to rely on these interfaces and not worry that every time I start up a session I could be faced with having to rewire my two remaining interfaces or even worse have to cancel the session.

Digi tech are helpful to the point of replacing the units (under the expense of my hardware assurance that I have to keep renewing) but seem to give a shrug of the shoulders when it comes to diagnosing the problem.

Now, I'm no electrician (although we have had a domestic electrician check over the building and he couldn't find anything of concern) so anything and everything that anyone might think worth trying would be most helpful even if it seems incredibly obvious.

Remember... wits... end.

Thanks for any help! :?
Discobox

Re: Digidesign 192io interfaces popping and eventually not powering up

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 pm

The popping sound in those happens when (and I'm no electrician and possibly wrong) you get some arcing across the surge supressor. The varistor blows. I did once replace one myself and it was fine again but it is an issue with those 192's. It's frustrating.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Digidesign 192io interfaces popping and eventually not powering up

Postby Discobox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:07 pm

Thanks for the input Jack. If yourself or anyone else would have any ideas what could cause this to happen on such a regular basis then I'd be most grateful.
I know the power consumption of the 192 is pretty high (200W compared to the 96io that runs at 150w) but others obviously run them fine without going through this many units in 3yrs.
Discobox