You are here

Liquid Mix 16 Enquiry...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Liquid Mix 16 Enquiry...

Postby coojuice » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:52 pm

I've noticed that the liquid mix 16 is going for a crazy price nowadays so I'm considering purchasing one to give me some alternative eq and compression options other than the logic pro native ones I have (which I think are good in their own right).

However, I've done a search on a few forums and although I have found reviews on the original liquid mix unit, I haven't found many on the liquid mix 16...

Is there anyone that could maybe share some of their experience using this unit?

I guess the reviews on the larger unit are pretty useful in respect to the plugins but I'd like to know a little more on the smaller unit, particularly how reliable, and easy to configure it is.

One thing that may be an issue for me is my computer. I have an imac which has one FW800 port and one FW400 port and I currently have an external drive connected to the FW800 port which I use for logic projects and audio samples as well as storing music and movies. On the FW400 port I have another external drive that I use as a backup for my internal drive. I believe that this means that the FW800 port is actually being used as a FW400 port as both FW ports are actually on the same bus. Would this be correct?

As I already have both FW ports occupied my only option would be to either daisy chain the liquid mix to one of the external drives or connect it to one of the FW ports and daisy chain one of the drives to it (if this is even possibly?). Would this cause me any problems or do you think this would be possible and would work for me?

I'd love to hear any thoughts you have or advice you could give :)

If I've missed anything obvious feel free say so and I'll correct it ;)

Cheers

Bryan
coojuice
Regular

Re: Liquid Mix 16 Enquiry...

Postby Persuazion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:41 pm

We have LM 16. I believe it's exactly the same as the 32 just without the display on the hardware?

I've heard of people daisy chaining with no problems.

At the price it's a great tool to have. Distressor, LA2's and Pultec EQ's are fantastic.

Very easy to configure and never had any problems.
Persuazion
Frequent Poster

http://www.loverslanestudios.co.uk

Postby Wease » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 am

I have a liquid 32
Another band mate (separate band - people we gig with regularly and like!) has the liquid 16
gets good results - the machine is basically the same, just with the 32 one can do more tracks.
Be aware - this machine is not a "solve all"...it requires subtlety to get good results, and to be honest i wish i'd have gone for a UAD card....i feel the (UAD) emulations are better for my purposes than the liquid mix
the liquid mix requires a rethink on how one mixes to a certain extent....the emulations are good, but also require good source material to work with imho

however....the price range on the liquid 16 makes it a bargain for that 1 or 2 track requirement to add something to the mix.....so to be honest...if the price is incredible....i'd go for it!

as for daisy chaining - i had issues with my focusrite sapphire pro 10/10 and the liquid mix sharing a port. this is apparently well documented. however - there are some devices that share a firewire port better than the liquid/sapphire combination. Focusrite recommend that the liquid mix doesn't share any firewire port with anything for best results...but to be honest i think you'd be ok

any chance of you demo'ing the liquid mix to see if it works ok? (where are u based? can you borrow a unit to demo from anywhere to check compatibility?)
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Postby BenLD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 am

Just to be clear - the LM16 gives you 16 channels of compression and EQ (actually 16 mono channels or 8 stereo) - whereas the LM32 give you twice that obviously; it can be upgraded to 24 channels with an optional card

I have an LM16 and personally I don't miss the screen on the unit itself - and I actually quite like having a limited number of channels - makes you more disciplined

Having said that I also have a UAD card, and I love the GUIs on those classic emulations - superficial I know but it does affect the way you interact with them and how it feels to use them - with the Liquid Mix the interface basically looks the same whether you're using a Fairchild or an LA2A or whatever, and it's not very inspiring - on the plus side, possibly it makes you use your ears a bit more, who knows.

The other slightly annoying thing is that the emulations have cryptic names (for copyright reasons I presume) so if you want to use and 1176 or an LA2A you have to look up 'Stellar 1' or 'Leveller' etc - in fact I just had to look those two up now - it's a pain

RE the Firewire issue, I'm currently daisy chaining from my Saffire 56, but have been strongly advised to get an extra Firewire card for my Mac Pro - you don't have that option on an imac unfortunately

So for these reasons I find myself not using the LM16 anywhere near as much as UAD or other plugins - as a first step up from Logic's built-in effects I would consider other companies' plugins that run natively - I like the PSP stuff myself, and I have a small number of Waves plugins (some people, including me, aren't too keen on paying for their update plan, but the plugins are good, no question)

Having said that, the LM16 gives you a lot of variety for not much outlay, so I guess you have to weigh up the pros and cons...

Cheers

Ben
BenLD
Regular

Postby coojuice » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:31 pm

Wease wrote:

any chance of you demo'ing the liquid mix to see if it works ok? (where are u based? can you borrow a unit to demo from anywhere to check compatibility?)

I live in a town that is about 45 miles from Glasgow so I could take a trip to there to audition one I guess or see about borrowing one. I'm not too sure where would have one though. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the info too ;)
coojuice
Regular

Postby coojuice » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:36 pm

BenLD wrote:as a first step up from Logic's built-in effects I would consider other companies' plugins that run natively - I like the PSP stuff myself, and I have a small number of Waves plugins (some people, including me, aren't too keen on paying for their update plan, but the plugins are good, no question)

Yes, I was thinking that going down the native route may be an option also. Could anyone recommend anything other than the ones already mentioned?

I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned just now Ben, thanks ;)

I would really like to go the UAD route but unfortunatley I can't due to my limitations on the imac I have. Maybe sometime in the future though...
coojuice
Regular

Postby Dan Clark » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 pm

If you go to Focusrite's website you can do a listening test to hear how the Liquid Mix sounds compared the the original hardware, that will give you a good idea on how good it sounds.

I have the 32 and I'm very happy with it, I would recommend looking for a second hand 32 like I did, I got it for £200 which was how much I was going to pay for a brand new 16, and I've used all 32 channels on one session already.

The screen is no big thing, I don't use it at all.
Dan Clark
Regular

Postby coojuice » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm

Something I probably should have looked at earlier but it appears that both the liquid mix units do not work with snow leopard! :blush:

Oh, well! I'll take a look down the native look for now I think...

Is anyone using any of the stillwell plugins? In particular, the 1973 EQ and Rocket compressor?
coojuice
Regular

Postby planetnine » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:23 am

coojuice wrote:...Oh, well! I'll take a look down the native look for now I think...

Is anyone using any of the stillwell plugins? In particular, the 1973 EQ and Rocket compressor?

Yes, and if you want lots of completely unbiased opinions on these go to http://www.cockos.com/reaper/forum.php

;)

>
planetnine
Regular
Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.

Postby coojuice » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Cheers for the link there Nathan, much appreciated ;)

It also led me to a post about a new plugin from stillwell rumoured to be coming out soon called "the bomb"...
coojuice
Regular