You are here

Waves updated their plan

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Waves updated their plan

Postby Glenn Bucci » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

Waves is pleased to introduce a new cap on Waves Update Plan fees!
All non-overlapping Waves products (e.g. Platinum & SSL or Gold & Restoration, etc.)
are now capped at $200 per account per year.
No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than $200 per account per year.
To be eligible for the new cap, you will need to confirm that you use all selected products on one computer at a time.
Waves Update Plan coverage for overlapping products (e.g. Gold & Platinum or Diamond & Mercury, etc.) or identical products (e.g. two Gold bundles) is still capped at $200 per product per year, as usual.
Here's how to take advantage of the new cap:
Access your Waves account and click Buy Waves Update Plan.
Click I Confirm to verify that you use all selected products on one computer at a time.
Select the first product. Identical and overlapping products will become inactive.
Select additional products for Update Plan coverage. You may de-select and re-select products until you have the best combination.
Click Buy Waves Update Plan to continue.
To get Waves Update Plan coverage for other products, return to your Waves account main menu and repeat the steps above.
Find out more about Waves Update Plan
Best regards,
The Waves Team
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby steve355 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:34 am

Universal Audio have also put a cap on their update plan fees for their UAD cards.

0$.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:16 am

:D
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:28 am

Glenn Bucci wrote:Waves is pleased to introduce a new cap on Waves Update Plan fees!
All non-overlapping Waves products (e.g. Platinum & SSL or Gold & Restoration, etc.)
are now capped at Waves is pleased to introduce a new cap on Waves Update Plan fees!
are now capped at 00 per account per year.
No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than 00 per account per year. 00 per account per year.
No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than Waves is pleased to introduce a new cap on Waves Update Plan fees!
are now capped at 00 per account per year.
No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than 00 per account per year. 00 per account per year.

Pathetic really. Don't ever buy Waves.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 am

They announce this like it's good news? We've sold you the software once, we're going to carry on selling it to you annually, but for a bit less cos there's a recession on.

Genius. Can I have a Brooklyn Bridge to go with that?
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

steve355 wrote:Universal Audio have also put a cap on their update plan fees for their UAD cards.

0$.

Couldn't have said it better.................. unless perhaps in song (sung to the tune of 'She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain')

You'll be shafted every year on your Waves Plan,
You'll be shafted every year on your Waves Plan,
You'll be shafted every year, you'll never need to fear,
Your wallet will be be buggered on this plan.

Singing I will, if you will, it's a punt,
Singing I will, if you will, they're all............oops

Apologies :beamup:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby bigster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Whilst I like free software updates as much as the next man, I don't have so much of an issue with WUP as some folks seem to. You're not required to pay every year - it's not as if the product ceases to work when your WUP runs out. I end up paying every 18-36 months, and every time I've done so I've ended up with new, decent plug-ins added to my bundle (Platinum). Since I like many of the Waves plug-ins a great deal, and have no possibility of using a platform like UAD, it seems a reasonable arrangement to me.
bigster
Regular

Postby johnny h » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:35 pm

bigster wrote:Whilst I like free software updates as much as the next man, I don't have so much of an issue with WUP as some folks seem to. You're not required to pay every year - it's not as if the product ceases to work when your WUP runs out. I end up paying every 18-36 months, and every time I've done so I've ended up with new, decent plug-ins added to my bundle (Platinum). Since I like many of the Waves plug-ins a great deal, and have no possibility of using a platform like UAD, it seems a reasonable arrangement to me.

Limp attitudes like that allow Waves to keep getting away with it imo. Most of their plugs are way past their sell-by date anyway.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby JamesSimpson » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 pm

Atleast with Waves I'm not attached to a desktop, given that 90% of the work I get HAS to be moved to different locations, even the latest album mixed in the large room at work was tracked on a laptop using a 002 with some external pre's. Pre production work was started on headphones and in different studios. Then the final thing was mixed on an SSL G+ with a ton of outboard, and some plugins. UAD is not compatable with the latest mac laptops, waves is. UAD can only be used on the machine with the card in it, thats the internal PCI card. So if i wanted to move projects from my system upstairs I'd have to go into the back of both the macs and uninstall the UAD card and reinstall it on the mac downstairs.

Both systems have their pro's and cons. For the way I work waves works.

I think some of us should grow up a little, i had some serious problems with waves and others have other agenda's why they don't like them.

All that should matter to the end user is whether or not the product meets their needs, if it does then great buy it.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby bigster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Each to his own, Johnny - I don't think it's a limp attitude. Waves plug-ins work great for my and many other people's needs, for the reasons James mentions above and others. I'm personally happy to support any company that continues to provide support and updates -what a concept! If Waves isn't for you - fine. No-one's forcing you to buy anything.
bigster
Regular

Postby johnny h » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 pm

I just don't get waves at all. They've always made completely average sounding plug-ins that cost an absolute fortune!

They are inferior in dynamics to Sonnox, UAD, SPL, T-Racks..
They are inferior in eq to Sonnox, Sonalksis, TC, UAD, Nebula, Abbey Road..
They are WAY inferior with reverb to Lexicon, aether, Nebula, TC

Honestly what is the point?

Q-Clone for instance came out and cost £1000 - I dont know how much it is now, but Nebula uses a FAR more advanced convolution engine and costs a fraction of the price. Okay it doesn't LOOK as flashy, but sonically its way ahead.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:59 pm

bigster wrote:Each to his own, Johnny - I don't think it's a limp attitude. Waves plug-ins work great for my and many other people's needs, for the reasons James mentions above and others. I'm personally happy to support any company that continues to provide support and updates -what a concept! If Waves isn't for you - fine. No-one's forcing you to buy anything.

On a more serious note, your last point is true, which I fully accept.

However, given you're a Waves user and I'm not, I'd have thought you'd be far more interested in Waves changing their policy than I am!

These 'tit for tat' debates often seem to be time wasters, but their usefulness lies for people who are considering buying into a new plug-in system. There's no point in trying to convince current users one way or the other. If you've invested thousands of dollars in a plug-in suite, you're unlikely to turn round and say the plugs are inferior and that you're going to stop paying the ongoing rental (WUP), which is the decision I finally made.

James is right, UAD plugs have to be used on a card, so would be less flexible if you're moving between several computers, so it's connected to work flow too, but then any software has to be installed on every computer you use, I guess the difference is the iLok is more transferable.
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:James is right, UAD plugs have to be used on a card, so would be less flexible if you're moving between several computers, so it's connected to work flow too, but then any software has to be installed on every computer you use, I guess the difference is the iLok is more transferable.

There is the UAD Solo laptop card which you can stick in your top pocket and move from machine to machine with ease....
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:52 pm

Waves have always had solid products right from the early days.

While it's true that some of their early plugins are a bit long in the tooth now, and some of them aren't that great, most are decent and some of the more recent ones are very good - certainly some are as good as, if not better than some of their UAD counterparts (Some of UA's plugins are also long in the tooth as well...)

I don't have a problem with their products, or their support. Up until recently, their authorisation procedure was hopelessly complicated and arcane, although they've finally junked that old system and things are I understand a bit better now. They've done some things that are, eh, 'questionable' and it certainly hasn't helped their image.

But I think the "it's fashionable to be a Waves basher" is getting a bit old now. if you don't like their products, or their policies, or their politics, buy something else. It's not like we are short of alternatives... :shrugs:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Tui » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:04 pm

desmond wrote:They've done some things that are, eh, 'questionable'

Not trying to hijack, but out of curiosity: Are they still doing this plug-in Gestapo thing?
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:08 pm

I've been shafted once by Waves.. when buying another of their products. I was told it wasn't compatible with one of my other Waves plugs and had to upgrade...

Since then I don't buy Waves and I don't upgrade my main recording rig. It's stable so I don't try and fix it.

Fluckers.... still great plugs though!
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Tui wrote:Not trying to hijack, but out of curiosity: Are they still doing this plug-in Gestapo thing?

Don't know - I suspect it did far more damage than accounted for in extra plugin sales revenues, so I doubt it. Maybe a few people removed removed Warvez (see what I did there?) from their computers out of concern, but that' hardly going to make any difference to them.

Certainly, "Ban Piracy" didn't, and despite trying to form an industry-wide coalition to try and reclaim "lost" revenues due to piracy, as far as I can see, the only company who ever signed up was Waves. And that was because it was started by an ex-Waves director.

The last news item on banPiracy regarding "action" was February 2009...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Steve Hill wrote:There is the UAD Solo laptop card which you can stick in your top pocket and move from machine to machine with ease....

If you have 17" MacBook Pros.

(or old machines, or PCs)
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby johnny h » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:15 am

desmond wrote:Waves have always had solid products right from the early days.
Exactly, "solid", which means functional, mediocre and unspectacular. Unfortunately these "solid" plug-ins are sold at extraordinary prices and come with obscene usage and upgrading policies.

While it's true that some of their early plugins are a bit long in the tooth now, and some of them aren't that great, most are decent and some of the more recent ones are very good - certainly some are as good as, if not better than some of their UAD counterparts (Some of UA's plugins are also long in the tooth as well...)
That's the vaguest paragraph i've ever read!

But I think the "it's fashionable to be a Waves basher" is getting a bit old now. if you don't like their products, or their policies, or their politics, buy something else. It's not like we are short of alternatives... :shrugs:
I don't bash things out of fashion. I've always found Waves to be massively overrated. I was once a big UAD fan, and I do still really like them as a company, and I respect their plugins too, though I do feel the DSP model is beginning to show its age.

Waves though, I would recommend to anyone to stay as far away as possible.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jayzed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:19 am

I understand completely how boring it can get listening to the moans and grumbles and I agree it's gone on for some time now. However, have a thought for those in a situation similar to this:

A studio setup, with 5 rooms. Waves plugins bought for each workstation to achieve 'industry standard' (at the time) and clients, in particular visiting engineers, often requesting Waves to match what they were used to, or used in their own rooms.

Waves introduces WUP, which for the reasons mentioned above, required expensive, complex and unexpected update costs just to keep the workstations up to date with their systems. In many cases, the options were to either abandon compatibility with other sessions and write off the purchase, or bite the bullet.

Waves had such customers over a barrel and the extra costs were not mentioned when the purchase was first made.

Although reasonable costs for upgrades can and are planned for, unexpected hits like the WUP really bite into budget that is intended for other items.

Of course, people in this situation usually just have to bend over, at least until alternatives can be planned. The only way to express the frustration is to let others know how unhappy they are, and try to get Waves to change their policy which it seems is happening.

I'm guessing a combination of wide scale moaning and changing plugin fashion has made Waves think again.
jayzed
Frequent Poster

Next