You are here

Waves updated their plan

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby MarcusH » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

James Perrett wrote:I think the whole Ban Piracy episode was shameful...

Yes - I heard of a case where according to one studio, the Ban Piracy 'spies' phoned up, offering work and asking if they had Waves software. In desperation for the business, the studio said 'Yes' then downloaded demo versions. Then the Ban Piracy 'spies' visited the studio, saw the demo software and basically said 'You're Nicked'.

I cannot verify if this story is true - but the point is that if Waves had built more of a reputation for straight dealing, then stories such as this would have much less credence.
MarcusH
Regular
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Tanzania

You live. You learn.


Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby stinkfinger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:...Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...

That's business, nay life! It doesn't matter how many good things you do you will always be remembered for the one gaff, the paying public are a fickle bunch with selective memories.

But in any case they haven't reverted the WUP so your point is redundant.
stinkfinger
Regular
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby stinkfinger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:Essentially what i'm trying to say is people who don't even use or own waves products seem to bitch and moan continuously like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

I hope that is not aimed at me? I was happily using a Waves product until they introduced their scandalous WUP policy, and as such in my opinion I have paid for the right to bitch and moan and will darn well continue to do so whenever the opportiunity arises and I have the time and inclination on my hands to do so.
stinkfinger
Regular
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Nevermind then
User avatar
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 am
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby ken long » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:Essentially what i'm trying to say is people who don't even use or own waves products seem to bitch and moan continuously like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

If they did that just once a year as part of the WUP, I'd definitely keep updating. :D

ken
User avatar
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3316
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 am
Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby desmond » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 pm

stinkfinger wrote:I was happily using a Waves product until they introduced their scandalous WUP policy, and as such in my opinion I have paid for the right to bitch and moan and will darn well continue to do so whenever the opportiunity arises and I have the time and inclination on my hands to do so.

We know, that pretty much means almost *every* post you make here... :headbang:

Do you complain in restaurants too? :bouncy:
User avatar
desmond
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8721
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:00 am

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:...like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

That's pretty much what they did with their Ban Piracy entrapment.

Cheers

James.
User avatar
James Perrett
Moderator
Posts: 8176
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am
Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby stinkfinger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:06 pm

desmond wrote:Do you complain in restaurants too? :bouncy:

When there's reason to do so, I'm not shy if that's what you mean.
stinkfinger
Regular
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:03 pm

James Perrett wrote:
JamesSimpson wrote:...like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

That's pretty much what they did with their Ban Piracy entrapment.

Cheers

James.


Mmmm quite, but anything the industry does about piracy is oh so bad against the majority.

I would never defend what waves did I thought their methods were despicable, I do however applaud them for trying to do something about the rampant piracy, I know studios that charge £60 A DAY and use thousands of pounds worth of cracked waves plugins, cracked cubase, and a few other bits.

Because of their illegal activity they took away work from other local respectable studios.




I don't condone the way waves went about their business, but somebody has to do something.



The same people that moan about piracy and stealing of their samples, plugins, mp3s, songs albums, lost revenue.


Also refuse to pay for the tools they use.
User avatar
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 am
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby Steve Hill » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:18 pm

MarcusH wrote: I heard of a case where according to one studio, the Ban Piracy 'spies' phoned up, offering work and asking if they had Waves software. In desperation for the business, the studio said 'Yes' then downloaded demo versions. Then the Ban Piracy 'spies' visited the studio, saw the demo software and basically said 'You're Nicked'.

I cannot verify if this story is true ...


I can, at least to the extent that I trust my source. I also know that if the "booking" had been confirmed with a cash deposit, the studio would have bought the Waves software as demanded by the "client".

Waves' entrapment wheezes and the ludicrous Ban Piracy stunt are reasons enough not to but their products. But there are other good reasons too.

JamesSimpson wrote:Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...


What steps are those then?
User avatar
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3266
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:00 am

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Steve Hill wrote:
MarcusH wrote: I heard of a case where according to one studio, the Ban Piracy 'spies' phoned up, offering work and asking if they had Waves software. In desperation for the business, the studio said 'Yes' then downloaded demo versions. Then the Ban Piracy 'spies' visited the studio, saw the demo software and basically said 'You're Nicked'.

I cannot verify if this story is true ...

I can, at least to the extent that I trust my source. I also know that if the "booking" had been confirmed with a cash deposit, the studio would have bought the Waves software as demanded by the "client".

Waves' entrapment wheezes and the ludicrous Ban Piracy stunt are reasons enough not to but their products. But there are other good reasons too.

JamesSimpson wrote:Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...

What steps are those then?

Steps are lowering and capping the upgrade fee's, remember what happens when you owned a UAD 1 card have a PC or Mac with only PCI slots,

To upgrade the UAD system you need a UAD 2 card, which for some users means a new computer, so $1000 on a card, and whatever nominal amount on a new computer.


Both companies have "upgrade" fee's its just how you package them.

Remember UAD had a "crossgrade" fee from UAD 1 to UAD 2, they dropped this after much furore by users. UAD listened to their customers on that front, but you have to buy their hardware, and if you own certain easily powerful computers but can't use available PCI slots or are subject to Apple's whims then you can't use the UAD platform, so you have to find something else.


Native is the way forward if somebody can find a decent way to stop plugins being cracked. Until then we native users pay the high price.
User avatar
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 am
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:

The same people that moan about piracy and stealing of their samples, plugins, mp3s, songs albums, lost revenue.


Also refuse to pay for the tools they use.

Are you implying some of the people 'moaning' here refuse to pay for the tools they use? (careful how you answer this one)

And James, it's entirely appropriate for people who have owned a product and been shafted by it to warn future buyers, which is why when anyone ever mentions Waves around here they'll be met with a consistent and resounding chorus of disapproval.

As I said before, as a current client, it's very much in your interest to join the chorus and lobby the company, after all you're the one who's being currently being shafted by their policy - I'm just here to fly the warning flag for future buyers!

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:
JamesSimpson wrote:

The same people that moan about piracy and stealing of their samples, plugins, mp3s, songs albums, lost revenue.


Also refuse to pay for the tools they use.


Are you implying some of the people 'moaning' here refuse to pay for the tools they use? (careful how you answer this one)

And James, it's entirely appropriate for people who have owned a product and been shafted by it to warn future buyers, which is why when anyone ever mentions Waves around here they'll be met with a consistent and resounding chorus of disapproval.

As I said before, as a current client, it's very much in your interest to join the chorus and lobby the company, after all you're the one who's being currently being shafted by their policy - I'm just here to fly the warning flag for future buyers!

Bob



No sorry, my comment was meant as a far more generalization than anything specific on these forums.

"IE, the general feeling i get on the internet is that the freeforall downloading is great! I can get all the albums I want for free, then I know people with DAWs that download all the waves plugins for free, and then regardless of whether or not their actual product is anygood they won't make any money because their cd is available for nada on the web."

This doesn't really apply to SOS as here 99% of people have a very disapproving stance on piracy (as it should be)

It's not a consistent and rousing chorus of dissaproval though is it? there's a fair few users of waves on here that are perfectly happy with their waves plugins, some users are begrudgingly happy (me) and finally there are users who either no longer use or have never used their plugins.

The studio I work for has never complained about waves, anymore than digidesign, or any other software company that locks you into their system and then requests money for each upgrade.

I feel i should reiterate to anybody reading and wondering about waves plugins that you don't have to pay the waves upgrade plan, unless you change something on your computer, be that operating system or the like.

Waves also offer VST, AU, and RTAS as standard, many other cheaper alternatives, do not. Maybe converting the code to work in other formats actually costs a bit of time and money too? Hence there will always be solutions that might work better for you, but not always.

Massey for example offer some great and cheap rtas plugins, but when a client brings me a project in logic format and says I want to take the multitracks back home as well, do I convert the whole project to Pro Tools mix the thing using Massey plugs and export the stems back into logic?

No i just mix in logic using my waves, because they give me the same thing in both formats.
User avatar
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 am
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby jayzed » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

don't get me started on Digidesign and their upgrade policies :-)
User avatar
jayzed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:00 am
Location: North London

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 pm

jayzed wrote:don't get me started on Digidesign and their upgrade policies :-)

Mmm quite..
User avatar
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:00 am
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kwackman