You are here

Can anyone offer constructive feedback?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can anyone offer constructive feedback?

Postby adfish48 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:53 am

Please take a listen to our song "Nowhere Nearer" and offer us some feedback in terms of the song writing and the recording.

http://dreamersnightmares.bandcamp.com/track/nowhere-nearer

Thanks
adfish48

Re: Can anyone offer constructive feedback?

Postby Wease » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:05 pm

i like it a lot

Love the time sig...love the song - love the feel

recording is ok...where was it done? - how? etc
I think the drums are a little weak and the electric guitars a little strong in the recording and tone...and there is space for changing the sound on the guitars through the song

love the vocals though - kinda english folk meets US fleet foxes - in a good way!

excellently played...which is the main thing

you're in brum - where are you based and where are you playing next?

Love the Mirror mirror bit! - great tune! :bouncy:
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby adfish48 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Wease, thanks for replying and glad to liked it.

It was recorded about a year ago by the guitarist and drummer. The drums were recorded in a packaging warehouse with a Boss BR-1600 multi track and then the vocals and guitars were later added in a bedroom with no treatment and just an SM58. I got involved with the band soon after and re mixed a few songs for them in Logic 8, but as the drums had been bounced down to 2 channels I had barely any mix control and the cymbals were too high in the mix.

I'm now the keyboard player in the band, we've been gigging a lot recently around Brum. We're all from Halesowen (About 10 miles out of birmingham) We played the O2 Academy 3 last week, and quite a few others over the past 6 months. Now we plan to have a little break from gigging for 2 months, but we'll be back.

Thanks Again
adfish48

Postby Wease » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm

ahh..... black country boys!
We're (big stones) are outta walsall and tipton - so pretty near you guys...

would be good to know when you're around next - wold love to go and see you live....you'll have to let me know... :bouncy:
Wease
Frequent Poster

Postby ian2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm with Wease - really great track!

You seem to have been very creative (i.e. non-derivative) with the songwriting and arrangements. Lots of lovely variation, in various dimensions.

My engineering and mixing skills aren't up to much but I will say that the vocal panning is unusual. As a matter of interest, did you try a mix with the lead vocal panned centrally?

If you can create a whole album containing tracks of this calibre you'll deserve a lot of attention.

Ian
ian2
Regular

Postby Soundseed » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:57 pm

Sorry...

I thought the arrangement was fussy, and too guitar centric given that the most interesting thing was the vocal line. I'd be inclined to significantly tone down the guitars, get rid of the distortion in favour of cleaner, more ringing tones .. Drop the fiddly intro and get to the vocal quicker, shorten the instrumental break.

Cheers
Chris
Soundseed
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Wow! LOVE this track! It's great to hear sharp music played with integrity by a band that aren't afraid to challenge ears jaded by anti-melodic 4/4 yawn-a-thons.

Well done! I'm reluctant to sign up with my email address, but I'd buy this track without a second's hesitation.

Technically I'd like to hear a stronger/tighter drum sound and I'm biased towards thinking that some keyboards would add some extra colour. The guitars sound great, but the solo mumbles a bit.

Small points - more please!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Matt D » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 pm

I like it - one question, have any of the band heard of Peace Love and Guitars?

It's a very similar sound and feel.
Matt D
Poster