You are here

New glitchy-y post-rock-y tracks! Think Four Tet mixed with Mogwai (ok, I admit it. Pink Floyd!), looking for feedback

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

New glitchy-y post-rock-y tracks! Think Four Tet mixed with Mogwai (ok, I admit it. Pink Floyd!), looking for feedback

Postby sszdl » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Hey all,

I'm looking for critisism and advice on my music - I make glitchy post-rock stuff, with a bass guitar and some drum machines. I don't think I have much mix skills, and I'm looking for thoughts on all aspects of the tracks!

Please check out this set on my Soundcloud, there's seven tracks but they're only 2-3 mins long each - I may have post-rock ideas, but I'm not falling into the same trap as, say, King Crimson!

I think this track or this track are my best, and this or this are the weakest.

I'm trying to pull together a demo, so please let me know what you think! :?

Edit: bloody hell, I didn't realise how long that title was :blush:
sszdl
Poster

Re: New glitchy-y post-rock-y tracks! Think Four Tet mixed with Mogwai (ok, I admit it. Pink Floyd!), looking for feedback

Postby Matt D » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:48 pm

Erm - the tracks don't load up when I click on your links??
Matt D
Poster

Re: New glitchy-y post-rock-y tracks! Think Four Tet mixed with Mogwai (ok, I admit it. Pink Floyd!), looking for feedback

Postby sszdl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 pm

Matt D wrote:Erm - the tracks don't load up when I click on your links??

Hmm, they work fine for me, they're just linking to the tracks on Soundcloud. Here's the direct download links:

ndrs
hnse
cassie
weld
programme
smgl
22:18

I'm terrible at naming tracks!
sszdl
Poster

Postby Matt D » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:24 pm

OKay - first listen, bear with me.

I like Cassie....... - i think this works best of all and could easily be adapted to lyrics.
I like ndrs ....... - builds up well and takes patience to listen to. Which is a good thing.

The other tracks are not really doing anything for me at all. Especially programme which is very much a looping bassline with some pops and squeaks thrown in.

The problem with giving any sort of critique is your chosen gendre of music is very very esoteric. I can't really think of anything to compare it to.

Only thing I would say. You are very big on the lower and mid ranges and almost non-existent on the upper mid to high stuff. So anyone without a sub-woofer is going to hear this as being a bit flat.

As a matter of interest, did you mix it on Hi-Fi speakers?
Matt D
Poster

Postby sszdl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:03 pm

Matt D wrote:OKay - first listen, bear with me.

I like Cassie....... - i think this works best of all and could easily be adapted to lyrics.
I like ndrs ....... - builds up well and takes patience to listen to. Which is a good thing.

The other tracks are not really doing anything for me at all. Especially programme which is very much a looping bassline with some pops and squeaks thrown in.

The problem with giving any sort of critique is your chosen gendre of music is very very esoteric. I can't really think of anything to compare it to.

Only thing I would say. You are very big on the lower and mid ranges and almost non-existent on the upper mid to high stuff. So anyone without a sub-woofer is going to hear this as being a bit flat.

As a matter of interest, did you mix it on Hi-Fi speakers?

Thanks for having a listen! I appreciate that it can be difficult to judge on music you're not used to or don't have any idea what to reference to, so I appreciate your effort even more; thank you!

I think the obvious reason for my music being heavy on the low end is that I play bass guitar! All the sounds are either manipulated bass guitar, or drum machines. I do agree with the top-end being light, and I think that's the single biggest reason why the "explosion" in the track ndrs works and not in the rest of the tracks. I've got some ideas - better use of distortion, filters, basically cribbing from the article in last month's SOS - to make my future tracks better in that regard. I think there's probably composition issues I'll run into as well, but I'm getting there (I hope).

For what it's worth, I mix mostly on headphones, some mid-range open-back Sennheisers, I forget the model number.

Please, don't hesitate with the critisism!
sszdl
Poster