You are here

multiple synchronised video outs

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

multiple synchronised video outs

Postby Doll Face » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:23 am

I have a live project coming up, where I need to combine live music with pre-recorded music and sound, all synced to 3 separate projected visuals.

I can do sound/music synced to one video, with a click track for the live musicians, but don't have any experience of projecting 3 separate snychronised videos.

From the bit of research I've done so far, it seems I have 2 options - buying 3 video cards, and running them all from the laptop. It sounds expensive. And what software and additional hardware would I need to supplement the laptop (Macbook Pro)?

The other option seems to be hardware that splits the signal from one video card into 3 sections, e.g. left, centre and right, and sends each signal on to its own projector. This sounds more manageable. But what software would I need to bring together and edit the videos?

Any one done something similar?

Thanks
Doll Face
Poster

Re: multiple synchronised video outs

Postby benniferj » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 pm

We do this quite a lot at work. We use a Matrox Triplehead2go which gives us 3x DVI outputs from our Macbook pro. This shows up as 1 huge monitor, something like 3800x1024 resolution. We edit video using Apple's Final Cut Pro, making one huge composition with all 3 clips next to each other and then export. We normally output to 3x 50" plasmas in our TV studio. Looks great and easy to setup :)
benniferj
Regular

Re: multiple synchronised video outs

Postby The Korff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am

Indeedy! In fact, for laptops it's probably the only decent solution (if you were using a desktop I might suggest ATI Eyefinity, which I think is a technology compatible with their 5*** series GPUs, though I don't know much about it and it's still quite young in the market).

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)