You are here

Just looking for some comments...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Just looking for some comments...

Postby Davedave93 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey everyone, quite new to this site.

I'm an acoustic guitarist/singer of 17 years old from the UK.

I have a hobby of writing an recording music, so I'd jut like to drop this link here...

www.myspace.com/daveabramsmusic

The song in particular I would like comments on is Constellations, my first attempt at branching out in terms of recording and arranging since it uses some violins and various guitars.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Davedave93
Regular

Re: Just looking for some comments...

Postby ian2 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:18 pm

My 2 cents, with the caveat that my brain doesn't really want to listen to lyrics, so I'm in the dark as to what the song is about.

The fingerstyle guitars provide a pleasant backing. The violin parts are simple but welcome and sympathetic - in my book the arrangement is good.

The song is perhaps slightly long, given the modest amount of variation in chord progession and dynamics. I'd think about shortening it a little or introducing more variation.

It sounds like you were singing quite softly when recording the vocal. That may have been deliberate, but I think there would be mileage in projecting your voice more. I'd welcome variation in the dynamics of the vocal, and I think it would give you an additional dimension for expression.

"Constellations" is much more accomplished than the stuff I was recording when I was around your age. Thanks for posting - I enjoyed it. And maybe one day I'll have something for you to comment on. :blush:
ian2
Regular

Postby Matt D » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

Great Stuff and I like your voice.

Considering you have also added some covers onto your myspace page - the original work stands up really well. With this type of music, the technical aspect of recording has a lot more scope, the feel is more important.

Only thing I would do is read the recording acoustic guitar feature in the April issue of SOS.

Mostly, I really enjoyed the idea you are keeping up the tradition of songwriting/performing we used to be very strong with in Britain. You haven't just popped out and purchased a DAW with a sample library and cranked out some Urban tat.

If I was a gambling man - I would happily put a bet on you being a successful artist in your own right at some point within the next 10 years.
Matt D
Poster

Postby Davedave93 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Thank you both very much for your lovely comments.

I have to say, it's basically a style that comes across very true and genuine to me, I can't comprehend alot of emotion in the 'urban tat' you mentioned.

Any more comments would be welcome, I've been working on an Album of songs and getting local gigs. Would need alot of help getting known though!

Dave
Davedave93
Regular