You are here

adaptor / unit for lightpipe to firewire?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

adaptor / unit for lightpipe to firewire?

Postby banjukes » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi, I,m using a PC and xp operating system with 2gig ram. I have a digidesign M-Box pro with Protools 8LE. I normally only record one instrument or vocal at a time through a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro to the M-box and firewire to the hard drive. It works great.I alsomonitor through the control room and have 4 channels permanently hooked up so I don't have to go changing connections. Now,I have old Adat tapes that I want to transfere into protools for safe keeping and ease of use/edit etc in the future. I have an Alesis Adat XT and a JL Cooper Adat sync2. My problem is trying to transfere all 8 tracks at once into protools using lightpipes.Hooking up 8 I/O's would take all the channels I have and mean plugging in in and out all the time, so I want to use lightpipe. I know about the "digidesign Adat bridge unit" but suspect it may not be compatable with protools 8 LE. If not, is there another unit out there compatable with the 8LE and M-Box's firewire connection to PC. The M-Box has s/dif and firewire connections on the rear panel, Thanks
banjukes
Poster
banjukes

Re: adaptor / unit for lightpipe to firewire?

Postby Dave B » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:29 am

It looks like what you want is the M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge as that turns Adat into Firewire.

The big issue that I can see is that it is compatible with ProTools M-Powered and I don't know if that is a change of license / upgrade from bog standard ProTools LE. Perhaps someone more ProTools-y can help there...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 am

I had one of those. Great gadget, until I plugged the firewire cable in the wrong way round and burned it out.

They sent me a replacement and I burned that one out too.

:headbang:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby grab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:03 am

I'm curious - how did you do that? One shape has a triangular end on one side, and the other has a big notch in the middle. How hard did you have to hammer it into the hole to get it to fit? ;)
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 am

cheap firewire 400 sockets tend to split at the pointy end if you try and put the cable in upsidedown... i've never done it, but i've seen many cases of it. people trying to put the cables in without looking at the socket, typically on the back of a computer in cupboard , but also in racks and such like.
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:23 am

...yeah, didn't take much, just a firm push into the firewire socket on a Creative Audigy on the back of the PC (without looking).

It was only after I destroyed the second one that I realised what was happening. Power down the data lines - bad news. The original socket was a pretty crummy design, and I wasn't the first to fall foul of cheap implementations.

The most exasperating thing is that it seems well-nigh impossible to get M-Audio products repaired in this country.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:27 pm

Don't the Digidesign 002 or 003 interfaces have ADAT?

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby grab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Eep! Thanks for the warning.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby banjukes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks, I will look into M Audio profire
banjukes
Poster
banjukes

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:47 pm

There's one ending on Ebay this evening. I'd bid on it myself but I can't afford it. And I'd probably break it anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300419361528&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks also for the warning. And another +1 for the Lightbridge. I found it unusually easy and straightforward to use, apart from some silliness with the main outs sharing its output with the S/PDIF out.

BTW, coincidentally with the above ebay listing, I also have a Fostex VC-8 which I inherited when I bought something else. I note it's 20 bit rather than 24. I think I've got the theory of why 24 bit is better than 16. 20 obviously offers the same advantage but not to the same extent. In the light of that is it a worthwhile bit of kit?

Chris
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby grab » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Yeah, I was tempted to go for that myself, but I'm currently bidding for some subs so the bank account wouldn't look favourably on buying both in the same week!
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Puresonics » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:50 pm

The commonest way to burn out the M-Audio Lightpipe device is to have the firewire and the mains adapter plugged in at the same time !

It gets power down the firewire cable so doesn't need the mains adapter when used in this mode.

Unfortunately if you connect both it cannot cope :-(

Lee
Puresonics
New here