You are here

2 questions 1. mixer to lightbridge. 2.cable

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

2 questions 1. mixer to lightbridge. 2.cable

Postby banjukes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi, I have an M-Box Pro and protools 8 LE. I asked about lightpipe transfer of alesis xt 8 tracks all at once to protools and was told that the M Audio lightbridge would do it. Thats fine. Alesis Adat optical I/O's to lightbridge and firewire conection to PC. How does my analogue mixer connect to the lightbridge? Even if I change to a digital desk with firewire I only have 1 firewire input on the lightbridge. My second question is, Is there such a cable that is optical on 1 end (for my Alesis Adat optical out) and firewire the other end to connect to my second firewire port? Better still, is there a "Y" lead that has 1 firewire and 2 optical? or would that make life too simple!!! :D Thanks, Conor
banjukes
Poster
banjukes

Re: 2 questions 1. mixer to lightbridge. 2.cable

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:38 pm

i thin k you've misunderstood...

the point of the ADAT optical connection was to remove the mixer form the equation altogether...

it allows you to transfer all 8 tracks off an ADAT tape into protools simultaneously.... directly, without the need to pass through a mixer on the way.
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

It may be that he just wants to connect his mixer *as well* as the Alesis XT. If that's the case then it's perfectly possible. The Lightbridge has 4 separate sets of ADAT inputs and outputs. You need to get an analogue-to-digital converter (the Behringer ADA8000 comes to mind). Connect the mixer to the analogue inputs on the ADC and the ADAT output on the ADC to one of the free ADAT inputs on the Lightbridge. In your DAW you can see all 34 inputs from the Lightbridge (thats 4*8 for the ADAT plus 2 for SP/DIF) so you're home and dry. You only use (and *can* only use) one firewire cable in all of this.

Note: if you want to use the mixer at the same time as the XT then you may have to delve into the mysteries of Word Clock. If I can get to grips with that then it can't be too difficult!

Chris
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Puresonics » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:58 pm

Did the OP say he has PT LE and an M-Box Pro ?

I believe to use the M-Audio Lightbridge into PT he'll also need to buy PT M-Powered ? I don't think LE will talk to an M-Audio product.

Lee
Puresonics
New here

Postby banjukes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Yes I want to keep my Mackie 1604 VLZ in the set up as it warms up the sound and I run the powered monitors from the control room outs.Lee is right, PT 8LE is not compatable with M Audio lightbridge I would have to upgrade to M powered which begs the question, will it be compatable with the M-Box? I have a JL Cooper data sync2, so all cane be synced. I of course need the analogue / digital converter. Can anyone reccomend a particular one to get?
banjukes
Poster
banjukes

Postby Puresonics » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 pm

You must check that you can install LE and M-powered on the same computer

Then use your M-Box with PT LE and the Lightbridge with the PT M-powered

I'm pretty sure you cant run both at the same time though - your last post hints at that as a desire ?

The other thing I'm not clear on is your 'audio flow' - it seems like you want to go via the desk, so you could come out of the Adat into the Behringer ADA 8000 into your desk and then in on 4 inputs of your M-Box (no Lightpipe required) ???

May I suggest looking at this in a completely different way

By the time you've bought M-Powered (£160), a Lightbridge (£270) and even a crappy Behringer ADA 8000 (£165) to run through your desk, you'll have spent £595 !!!

Another option that would allow you to keep everything in LE is to upgrade to a 002 or 003 and sell your M-Box (and not bother with M-Powered and Lightbridges)

That would give adat input to PT LE and give you 8 outs to mix via your desk to 'warm it up' and record the mix back into PT on a stereo input - granted you wouldn't be going into the desk on the way in but you'd have the option on the mix down - like an analogue summing unit

I hope all this makes some kind of sense

Lee
Puresonics
New here

Postby banjukes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks Lee, Thats where I want to be and that's just what I'll do. I'll look for a 002 rack. Thats good advise.
banjukes
Poster
banjukes