You are here

hi fi speakers

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

hi fi speakers

Postby troy banarzi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Slightly off topic...

Although I've used great monitors in the studio for years, I've always made do with tiny speakers in my living room, which I once bought for the bathroom, and never got round to installing.

I now have a larger living room, and I think its time to get some nicer speakers! I'm looking for any recommendations of speakers (or monitors) for the living room, that anyone has experience of. Obviously neutrality is not an issue here, price, up to about £600, secondhand or new.

One thought was the Spendor BC1s...
troy banarzi
Poster

Re: hi fi speakers

Postby RegressiveRock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Personally, I have just picked up a pair of AVI Pro Nine Plus second hand from the Bay and married them with a Roksan Kandy MKIII. Whilst I am still evaluating the amp, I would certainly say that the speakers are revealing enough for running both the output from my Apogee Mini Me as well as my telly and CD Player.

Just a thought...

Click here for Sound on Sound review by Paul White

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

I have Tannoy 66s for fronts and centre, with Tannoy 6 for rears. They sound great for TV/movies, look quite tasty and stop me getting a 'hi-fi' ear!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Korff » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Reveals, Elf? I'd agree, I really like them for general listening, they're not fatiguing and just pleasant to listen to. Never enjoyed judging bass/kick drum on them, but since I've consigned them to 'home entertainment' usage I find I like them a whole lot more!

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:26 pm

Reveals, yes. They make a solid hi-fi speaker.

I always found the older Reveals a bit of a trial for getting a balance down in the kick/bass region too. the Reveal 8Ds I now use are better in this respect, but I find it all far easier with headphones in place and a finger on the bass cone.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

You could save your self a lot of money seeing as you are not doing any critical listening and opt for some used B&W DM-602 S3's imo they sound great for hi-fi.
I have a set since 03

Seems SOS reviewed them too

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/Jul02/a ... m602s3.asp
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby DaleSmith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Kef IQ5 SE's. well worth a listen in the sub £500 bracket!!
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:00 pm

RegressiveRock wrote:Personally, I have just picked up a pair of AVI Pro Nine Plus second hand from the Bay

Reg

I'm also using AVI monitors in my living room - in my case the Bigga-Tron Red Spot, and I'm well pleased with them. Revealing is certainly the right word! 8-)

SOS review by Paul White here:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jan01/articles/avi.asp

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ted Kendall » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 pm

Small PMCs, LS3/5as (pricey, but still good) - or indeed the good old BC1/SP1, which, given care, practically last for ever. Or, if you're really feeling masochistic, Quad electrostatics, which still do some things better than any other speaker.
Ted Kendall
Regular

Postby turtles » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 pm

Seconded (thirded?) on the Reveals. Embarassingly cheap on the second hand market now, and surprisingly flattering. I like them a lot for dialogue, and they sit nicely as part of a theatre / music home entertaiment setup.
turtles
Regular

Postby RegressiveRock » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
RegressiveRock wrote:Personally, I have just picked up a pair of AVI Pro Nine Plus second hand from the Bay

Reg

I'm also using AVI monitors in my living room - in my case the Bigga-Tron Red Spot, and I'm well pleased with them. Revealing is certainly the right word! 8-)

SOS review by Paul White here:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jan01/articles/avi.asp

Martin

Even loving my AVI speakers as much as I am, Martin, I do wonder at AVI's decision to give some of their speakers (which have a distictly broker-belt price tag when new) names which might find more favour with a teenager on his way to see the latest 'Transformers' movie. :bouncy:

However, just to stress the point to the OP about second-hand units from AVI: judging from the blank looks I have received in a couple of branches of Richer Sounds when I was talking through amp options before again buying in the second-hand market, AVI are not well known to second-hand buyers (or apparently some first-hand sellers) and hence mine came to me for a very nice price indeed!

If you are looking for an excellent pair of speakers, I'd strongly recommend setting up a long-term search on the Bay and seeing what comes up in what condition. You might be surprised by the price that some AVI units can be picked up for. You could find yourself shooting a long way below the 50-70% of new 'street' price that second-hand music tech items often can demand.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby Jaylon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I've been interested in the blue sky media desk for a while...haven't owned one though, but it got a good review.

I like bass music.
Jaylon
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:55 pm

RegressiveRock wrote:Even loving my AVI speakers as much as I am, Martin, I do wonder at AVI's decision to give some of their speakers (which have a distictly broker-belt price tag when new) names which might find more favour with a teenager on his way to see the latest 'Transformers' movie. :bouncy:

I agree. Ashley and Martin at AVI are lovely guys (they took me out for a curry once when I visited, as I used to live just down the road from them a few years ago).

However, their choice of product name can be a little 'questionable' at times :beamup:

Thank goodness my speakers don't have a Bigga-Tron badge on them :D

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Jeraldo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:45 am

If you do want neutral:

I second the suggestion to buy used B&W (older 801's?) and something like the LS3/5a. I was first introduced to those speakers by audiophiles, who seem to be hated always and everywhere (the audiophiles, not the speakers).

If you want new, I heard a few very inexpensive B&W speakers intended for the home market a couple of years ago, and they were difficult to fault.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 am

Jeraldo wrote:I was first introduced to those speakers by audiophiles, who seem to be hated always and everywhere (the audiophiles, not the speakers).

There are two kinds of audiophiles - those looking for accurate sound and those looking for a 'nice' sound. Those in the first camp will be fans of the likes of B&W, Spendor, ATC and other BBC style designs while those looking for a 'nice' sound will be fans of the more questionable designs.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next