You are here

Project Studio Hearing Protection

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Project Studio Hearing Protection

Postby Earbleed » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Im sure theres a post about somewhere but i cant find one!
I have a Project studio set up in a room in my house, lately ive been trying to avoid mixing through headphone as much as possible as my ears are beginning to hurt. Is there anyway to use headphones safely or even specially designed earplugs for this type of thing?
Earbleed

Re: Project Studio Hearing Protection

Postby necromunger » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 pm

what headphones are you using?

i have some hd650s and dont have a problem using them for hours at a time even at full whack.
necromunger
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 am

Earbleed wrote:Im sure theres a post about somewhere but i cant find one!
I have a Project studio set up in a room in my house, lately ive been trying to avoid mixing through headphone as much as possible as my ears are beginning to hurt. Is there anyway to use headphones safely or even specially designed earplugs for this type of thing?

When you say your ears hurt, do you mean it's uncomfortable? In which case consider headphones like the Sennheiser HD650, very comfortable for long periods.

If you're implying your ears hurt because it's too loud.... derrr.... turn the things down!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby JamesSimpson » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Somebody joins with the username Earbleed and has 1 post and asks a question about his ears hurting when he listens to his headphones what should he do? And you all take the bait...
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 pm

necromunger wrote:i have some hd650s and dont have a problem using them for hours at a time even at full whack.
Then either 'full whack' on your source/headphone amp are at quite a low level or your ears are already shot.

HD650s with a reasonable amp behind them, running at 'full whack', can produce enough level to cause permanent damage to your hearing in minutes rather than hours. Possibly even seconds if you're really unlucky/irresponsible.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:32 pm

I regularly end up using my HD650’s for many hours at a time at reasonable levels with no discomfort, either physical or auditory :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby uphillbothways » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:24 pm

You know the little knobbly things sticking out of the front of your audio interface? Find the one marked "headphones" and turn it anticlockwise until your ears don't hurt anymore. Sorted.
uphillbothways
Regular

Postby Jack Ruston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Er yeah...If you're ears are hurting you're monitoring too loud. Headphones are a bit deceptive in terms of how loud they actually are. I'd turn them down to the absolute minimum level that you can work at.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)