You are here

Slightly OT: Quit while you're ahead

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Slightly OT: Quit while you're ahead

Postby SecretSam » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

In an idle moment at work today, I found a collection of youtube clips of Deep Purple at a gig called California Jammin in 1974.

For example:

Guess what tune ?

I take back everything I have ever posted about the band not being able to play in time. This absolutely stomps all over the studio version (begging the question, "Why?). "Might just take your life" and "Burn" from the same series of clips are stunning.

Roll forward maybe twenty years, and you get this:

Oh dear, oh dear

Unless this was intended as a trailer for "Spinal Tap 2, The Golden Years," I can only ask myself, "WTF were they thinking ?"

Other observation: the general waxwork-like response of the crowd in the '74 clips is clear corroboration that MDMA had not yet been popularised ...

Right. Back to the email.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Slightly OT: Quit while you're ahead

Postby ASG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 pm

I've always said that for a song every guitar player can supposedly play, every one but Ritchie sucks playing it.

To be fair to the later version, and I say that as someone who hates the post Blackmore Purple, it is a jam with other players following the restaging of the Concerto, with other players from the event (Ronnie Dio, Steve Morse Band, Steve Morris)and the orchestra.

Regards, Andrew
ASG
Poster

Postby narcoman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:23 pm

ASG wrote:I've always said that for a song every guitar player can supposedly play, every one but Ritchie sucks playing it.

To be fair to the later version, and I say that as someone who hates the post Blackmore Purple, it is a jam with other players following the restaging of the Concerto, with other players from the event (Ronnie Dio, Steve Morse Band, Steve Morris)and the orchestra.

Regards, Andrew

...that's because most people play it wrong - the low root is missing "the right way". I've remixed this track not too long ago - a very variable player - a 17 note run over 16 beats...deliberate? madness? :)
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby ASG » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:43 pm

narcoman wrote:...that's because most people play it wrong - the low root is missing "the right way". I've remixed this track not too long ago - a very variable player - a 17 note run over 16 beats...deliberate? madness? :)

It's not just it should be played without the low root (ie in fourths) it's Ritchie's phrasing. Also plucked with fingers in the studio version, usually up strokes live.

He's a very instinctive player, can't (or most likely won't) play the same thing twice. I'm a huge fan (I even like his folk/pixie stuff).

BTW What was the remix?
ASG
Poster

Postby steve355 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Thats right Blackmore moans about people who play it with a pick. Supposed to be finger picked in unison. Also, its not really, fourths is it. Rather, fifths, but an octave down, if that makes sense.

RB one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, but recent pixie stuff is very, very dodgy IMHO.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:09 pm

ASG wrote:
narcoman wrote:...that's because most people play it wrong - the low root is missing "the right way". I've remixed this track not too long ago - a very variable player - a 17 note run over 16 beats...deliberate? madness? :)

It's not just it should be played without the low root (ie in fourths) it's Ritchie's phrasing. Also plucked with fingers in the studio version, usually up strokes live.

He's a very instinctive player, can't (or most likely won't) play the same thing twice. I'm a huge fan (I even like his folk/pixie stuff).

BTW What was the remix?

remixed the original multitrack for a sync license. Different sonics needed and some changes. Can't say more than that :)
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Tui » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:01 pm

To the OP, I can't hear much wrong with either of the recordings. Ian Paice lays down the law and grooves the heck out of the tune, each and every time. I would say the more recent recording sounds more together and at ease, compared with the earlier one, even though it's a bit of a jam.

Either way... Made in Japan still gives me goosebumps. :D
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby steve355 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 pm

I actually really liked Gillan in clip #2. He hasnt lost it - its easy to forget how good he was. Ian Paice is fantastic too. None better.

The problem with Deep Purple was terrible lyrics. Fabulous musicians, truly great band, no idea what to sing about.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 am

steve355 wrote:I actually really liked Gillan in clip #2. He hasnt lost it - its easy to forget how good he was. Ian Paice is fantastic too. None better.

The problem with Deep Purple was terrible lyrics. Fabulous musicians, truly great band, no idea what to sing about.

well you can lay that one on Zep and most of the other 70's rockers!
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SecretSam » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:53 am

A point well made, Narcoman. '70s lyrics, eh ?

I used to love Yes back in the day (still have most of their stuff on vinyl), but now ... mmm. You can make better lyrical sense by taking a book, rolling a set of dice, then writing down every word that co-incides with a multiple of the dice score. Or maybe they had better acid then. The songs would be better if the singer just hummed, FFS.

And when are Jon Anderson's balls going to drop ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve Hill » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Not too worried about clip 2 - they were clearly making loads of compromises to accommodate guest musos and an entire orchestra and conductor, but I'm sure the crowd had a ball.

You need to judge it as a live event. Not keep rewinding to a particular pint to prove someone made a booboo.

Was it Deep Purple or somebody else famous who said "If I'd known I'd be playing this forty years later, I'd have written a better song"?
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby SecretSam » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 am

Nice quote, Steve. Or from Bad News:

"Put it this way: I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was 19. Jimmy Page didn't even write it until he was 22."

I don't think the second gig was a booboo exactly. Can't think of a word that sums it up. It just made me sad. Which may be 'my stuff'.

While in a nostalgic mood, I looked up some old Led Zepp footage as well. Same story: both bands once were on top of their game. They delivered confident, perfectly executed grooves, worked well as a group, wonderfully tight dynamics, original, forging a new way of playing and hearing music. And the performances seemed relatively low on ego compared with stage practice in the age of the celeb.

Now, well, you get a sorry, mushy pastiche. In most other walks of life, people tend to get better as they get older, as experience and confidence have their effect. The top jazz musicians of the '50s lived as hard as any rock band, and improved with age. I wonder why so many of the musicians I heard as I grew up have just sort of disintegrated. Was Punk just too much for them ?

I'm off to the pub to rewind to a particular pint, as you suggest :-)

Cheers
Sam
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby Rodmps » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Rodmps
New here

Postby SecretSam » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:10 pm

I wonder if they got those suits secondhand from Thunderbirds ?

Oh, hell, I'm only jealous.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:40 pm

SecretSam wrote:I wonder why so many of the musicians I heard as I grew up have just sort of disintegrated.
Genesis were always a fine band live and got better with each tour.

I was worried when they reformed for the recent 'Turn it on again' tour but dear me, those old proggers were as tight as a duck's chuffer and put a lot of today's bright young things to shame.

Bloody great shame Peter won't be persuaded to join them ... just the once. :frown:
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next