You are here

Which is the main version of cubase?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Which is the main version of cubase?

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:37 pm

I know that seems like a ludicrous question but i've looked it up and not really sure still

There seem to be a lot of versions. I'm an FL Studio user myself and have been for 7 years. Have tried logic and cubase etc etc but they're all so long winded for dance music production!

However, i do want to start learning them again as it's been a long time. So interested to see which one i should be getting!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Re: Which is the main version of cubase?

Postby Blue Lizard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm

The main version of Cubase is... Cubase! Any of the other incarnations (adding "Studio" or "LE" or other such term) are feature/cost reduced versions. Current is Cubase 5.5(.1) via update from Steinberg website.

Always been on Cubase (full fat version) myself; I do remember using a lite version somewhere else a while back and being quite frustrated by the lack of the 'trim' automation function...
Blue Lizard
Regular
"It's not pretty, also you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa www.bluelizardstudio.com

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks, i thought that was the case. Wasn't sure if i was to be looking for "super mega pro edition" or something

Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Similarly as bad as Sonar with it's (please note - may not still be the case) 'Studio' and 'Producer' versions. What the hell do they mean?

At least the full version of Cubase is not called 'Cubase Pro'. Blech. 'Studio' is confusing though.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:34 pm

Michael Dow wrote:Have tried logic and cubase etc etc but they're all so long winded for dance music production!
Any new DAW seems long-winded when you begin working with it.

Regardless of musical style I can be up and working on a new track within 10 seconds of Cubase opening. When you've spent some time with Cubase and/or Logic you will wonder why you ever struggled! Spend some time getting your default startup project in shape and it will pay you back many fold.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Peter Conz Connelly » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 am

The Elf wrote:
Michael Dow wrote:Have tried logic and cubase etc etc but they're all so long winded for dance music production!
Any new DAW seems long-winded when you begin working with it.

Regardless of musical style I can be up and working on a new track within 10 seconds of Cubase opening. When you've spent some time with Cubase and/or Logic you will wonder why you ever struggled! Spend some time getting your default startup project in shape and it will pay you back many fold.

+1

I write in a variety of styles, depending on project, ranging from full orchestral scores to hardened dance music. They all do the same thing, albeit it with slightly different methods, so it's sticking to one DAW and getting to know it well.

P
Peter Conz Connelly
Frequent Poster
Composer, Songwriter, Producer, Sound Designer
http://www.peterconnelly.com

Postby Mike Craig » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:52 am

Hi Michael,

You may find this Cubase "Comparison Chart" helpful.
It shows the differences between C5, Cubase Studio 5 and Cubase Essential 5.

http://www.steinbergusers.com/images/C5_ComparisonChart.pdf

Regards,

Mike.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Zukan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:39 pm

The question should be: which is the working version of Cubase?
Zukan

Postby Mike Craig » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:07 am

Slightly OT, but something that has always annoyed me about Cubase (PC versions) is that it never seems to be 100% backwards compatible.

Most of my projects were created in Cubase SL3 and I often have problems trying to load them into C4 - Once the project loads I get the dreaded error message "Cubase has encountered a serious error, please save the project using a different name........".

I can get round this annoyance by loading the project into SL3, unloading all VST instuments, loading the project into C4 and then reloading the VST instruments again.

Pretty damn annoying. :headbang:
Mike Craig
Regular