You are here

Does my Apogee miniDAC "need" a computer to work?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Does my Apogee miniDAC "need" a computer to work?

Postby Kolakube » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi guys,

Im wondering, could my miniDAC sync to my CD or DVD player and re clock it etc like it does my PC?

Or do you 'need' a PC for the thing to work?

Anyone know for sure?
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Does my Apogee miniDAC "need" a computer to work?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:41 pm

kolakube wrote:Im wondering, could my miniDAC sync to my CD or DVD player and re clock it etc like it does my PC?

Or do you 'need' a PC for the thing to work?

Yes. The miniDAC was oringally designed as a stanadalone converter, with an optional USB (and then Firewire) interface.

The dual-stage clock recovery system applies to all selected digital sources.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kolakube » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Hugh thats great.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

In a recent issue of SOS the benefit of a master clock (barring special cases) was pretty comphrehensively debunked (though this didn't stop them reviewing a lot of expensive gear - "you don't need one, but if you DID..." :-)

An external DAC isn't quite the same question. But you still, I think, need to ask very searchingly whether one will give you any real difference or improvement.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Kolakube » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Wombat,

We have done this dance a thousand times mate. I gave up explaining to you in another thread re DACs. To cut a long story short only you in the whole world think a good DAC makes no difference.

No offence
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:03 am

kolakube wrote:Wombat,

We have done this dance a thousand times mate. I gave up explaining to you in another thread re DACs. To cut a long story short only you in the whole world think a good DAC makes no difference.

No offence

Ah, it's you again! Hi, howya doing? Having success with your music? I hope so!

Yes, as you stick to your opinion, I stick to mine. My experience of today's equipment (and things have changed quite a lot from only, say, 5 years ago) is that the cheap-and-nasty stuff isn't half as nasty as it used to be and the mid-price stuff is getting harder and harder to tell from the high-end stuff. It's getting cheaper too.

There's no such thing as "accuracy" in sound recording and reproduction. (Particularly when you're dealing with samples amd effects :-) But a competent D>A box probably comes as near to it as any component in the chain. If you find one that sounds different, something's wrong.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 am

Ah, it's you again! Hi, howya doing? Having success with your music? I hope so!

Hello again. Not sure about success with music. Its such an expensive hobby and all as it is is a hobby unless I make money and Im not sure there is any money left to be made these days.
I have a family and at 73 (EDIT - IM 37 NOT 73!!!! :] ) am a full time degree student so money not exactly flush. Music production always seems to demand yet another purchase for X amount of hundred pounds.

Also the time investment these days is like nothing to what it used to be years ago. Years ago you were assisted by a studio programmer and mix engineer and producer. All as you had to do a was a demo.
These days of perfect production on your PC the entry standard is so high you have to invest months and I get board before then and also haven't got months.

In the word of Mickey (myself) I feel the PC has ruined the whole music industry. These days its all torrents and the day of the studio has all gone. You can literally sit on your arse and write, produce, distribute, collect any earnings etc etc all from your bedroom PC.

I much preferred the rip off music industry people complained about, Real budget 24 track hardware studios with real people inside, having a few synths and a sampler in your bedroom that took you years to save up for, having to go to the post office to post off a load of demos, having to buy real vinyl and CDs from a real shop, having to get of your arse to do stuff.

Mini rant there I know, haha sorry mate, just your question of how im doing in music is no small answer for me.

Lets just say I hope you doing better. I have fallen out with doing anything other than cover versions . remixes at best and that hangs by a thread.

Yes, as you stick to your opinion, I stick to mine.

Yes thats prob's the best thing to do. But honestly, if you could hear my system with and without the DAC keeping in mind my monitors are 2 grands worth you can hear a huge boost. So its not really an opinion as such, more a real world perception.

My experience of today's equipment (and things have changed quite a lot from only, say, 5 years ago) is that the cheap-and-nasty stuff isn't half as nasty as it used to be and the mid-price stuff is getting harder and harder to tell from the high-end stuff. It's getting cheaper too.

I suppose range of gear depends on budget. Id class my monitoring set up as upper mid to low high end and my DAC as mid range. Either way as an avid music listener I am in sonic bliss. And I am a right fussy whingy type. If theres a fault Ill pick it, and I cannot with my DAC / Twins.

All the best.

Mickey
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:14 am

ha ha ha My above age should read 37 not 73. Hey I have flu at mo and am bed ridden and feel 73 though
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:23 pm

kolakube wrote: Music production always seems to demand yet another purchase for X amount of hundred pounds.

Or find a girl who meanders around standard tunes while strumming her guitar, put a mic in front of her and REALLY clean up. It helps if she's pretty and she dies though.

Seriously, please chant this mantra every day: "IT ISN'T ABOUT THE GEAR" :-)

if you could hear my system with and without the DAC keeping in mind my monitors are 2 grands worth you can hear a huge boost. So its not really an opinion as such, more a real world perception.

Are you SURE it isn't just a bit louder? :-)

I suppose range of gear depends on budget. Id class my monitoring set up as upper mid to low high end and my DAC as mid range. Either way as an avid music listener I am in sonic bliss.

Yup. I can enjoy the hi-fi experience too. But, unless you're making live recordings of top-rate acoustic musicians in a really nice space, it's all a bit irrevelent to music production (once your gear's of a standard that allows you to hear how much bass you're mixing in). For catching nit-picking detail, headphones can be useful.

PS why would you lube a koala? I might have a proposition for you :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:My experience of today's equipment (and things have changed quite a lot from only, say, 5 years ago) is that the cheap-and-nasty stuff isn't half as nasty as it used to be and the mid-price stuff is getting harder and harder to tell from the high-end stuff. It's getting cheaper too.

There's no such thing as "accuracy" in sound recording and reproduction. (Particularly when you're dealing with samples amd effects :-) But a competent D>A box probably comes as near to it as any component in the chain. If you find one that sounds different, something's wrong.

Hi EW!

As someone who has A/B tested 86 audio interfaces to date I have to agree with you that today's 'cheap and nasty' gear sounds way better than it used to a few years ago.

However, the sonic benefits from adding a decent D/A converter offering jitter reduction to otherwise modest digital gear can be quite dramatic.

And I should know, as I reviewed three of the things side by side for SOS, each fed from a variety of audio interfaces covering a wide price range from £100 to about £650 :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker