You are here

Hi Fi Question (Dont know where else to post) How do I do this?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Hi Fi Question (Dont know where else to post) How do I do this?

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:06 am

Hi guys.

In my DJ days I have just got a mixer. But these days im not bothered about mixing and totally focused on sound quality
However I need to be able to play two separate devices into one pair of speakers. IE a turntable and a CD player.

With a firm emphasis on sound quality is there a simple switch that allows me to select?

My turntable has a pre amp im happy with and I have no stand alone amp as my Focal Twins have built in amplification.

Can anyone suggest what I need to allow switching like this? I worry slapping a DJ mixer on my chain will seriously degrade quality. Also I need no such features like a mixer. Just a one at a time switch.

After researching I felt I needed a product called a speaker switch. However these seem to let you select different speakers as opposed different sources.

Note to Mod - How about a Hi Fi forum guys? Cant hurt right?
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Hi Fi Question (Dont know where else to post) How do I do this?

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 am

There's this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9328

Maybe you're running balanced connections on TRS jacks or XLR though? I don't see anything ready-made at Canford or RS , though I see all the components for making up a top-quality one yourself. I suspect professionals would be using a patch bay and/or mixer.

Just for a laugh, I was going to see how much Russ Andrews was charging for one, but he seems to have missed out on this opportunity to rip off the audiophool market :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi,

Yeah just like that, thats exactly what im after.

Don't mean to sound snobby but I worry a tenners worth may degrade the quality. As this is part of the signal chain im after something that doesn't degrade it much or at all if poss.

At least I now know such a thing exists.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm

kolakube wrote:Hi,

Yeah just like that, thats exactly what im after.

Don't mean to sound snobby but I worry a tenners worth may degrade the quality. As this is part of the signal chain im after something that doesn't degrade it much or at all if poss.

At least I now know such a thing exists.

Don't wish to sound snobby back, but if this box fits your system you're using unbalanced connections on phono plugs so you don't care about quality anyway! :-)

In reality, unbalanced is fine if you're in an enviroment where noise pickup isn't a problem. And phono plugs are fine if you keep them clean and don't yank them. As will be the switch in that el-cheapo box. But if you're of the opinion that every extra pair of contacts degrades the signal (and every pair is indeed a potential point of failure which WILL affect the sound) buy a suitable switch from one of the sources I suggested, put it in a box and solder your cables directly to it. And that's perfectly serious advice.

I'm going to keep trying to drag you into the real world, and away from "expensive = better" :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:46 pm

I've already said this to Mickey privately, but for the sake of continuing the dialogue in the open, surely some kind of monitor controller is required so that the listening level can be adjusted.

Something like the SM Pro M-Patch 2 will provide level control and source selection for two sources, with a balanced passive signal path where appropriate.

Got to be the way to go, surely?

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:23 pm

And how is he feeding his computer into the system when constructing and mixing his music - surely the main consideration? Why a separate CD player - there's a perfectly good one in his computer. Has he been listening to audiophiles? :-) I think we need to look at the WHOLE system.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Wombat,

Sometimes I feel were getting somewhere and then I feel it was all just a dream. I give up now.

Hugh

Just about to do update everyone. Beat me too it.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah. You're not going to turn me into an audiophool, and I'm not going to make you think like a pragmatic pro musician. No matter.

All I would add - last week I made a few hundred pounds directly from using my musical and technical skills on adequate but far-from-high-end equipment (though my Kurzweil keyboard IS rather nice:-) It's mid-summer, that was a slow week, and it's not my main job. I'm selling the content, not the last 1% of technical perfection. Isn't that really what it's all about?

And if I wanted a switch box, and a cheap off-the-shelf unit wasn't available, I wouldn't dream of doing anything other than making it myself. It's about making money, not spending it, surely?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:10 pm

Mr wombat, you seem to be completely missing the point of what Kola's asking about.

Your ability to earn an income, your interest in computers, and your ability with a soldering iron all seem to be entirely irrelevant to Kola's requirements.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Or possibly, with knowledge of previous conversations including his music-production aims, might it not be permissible to suggest that what he ASKS for isn't necessarily what he WANTS?

If you go on a Studio SOS, and the first question is "where should I put the Brilliant Pebbles , might you feel justified in trying to change the question? :-)

PS, in the recent issue, kudos to the team for having the honesty to say "you don't really need a master clock" when there was all that shiny and expensive equipment to review.

And special kudos to Hugh for not taking the attitude "you're disagreeing with the boss! Out!" which is sadly prevelent on some other forums, notably www.cubase.net. (Though it's never happened to me, before you ask :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Wombat,

I have accused you of this before when you stated my Focal Twins were prosumer monitors and my DAC was a toy (here on another SOS thread.)

But now I am giving up giving you the benefit of the doubt. I believe you to be a troll!

A very good one, but you have huge gaps in your knowledge and try to over compensate by either

A) going of on a tangent and trying to distract people or
B) coming back with totally irrelevant replies.
C) where you try to cause debate where you say a £10 piece of kit is as good as a £100 or even £1000 piece and money is of no relevance and other daft arguments like a £700 DAC makes no difference at all.

I wish you no harm or malice but please don't answer any of my threads again. I haven't got time to waste like this.

Al the best,

Mickey
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:Or possibly, with knowledge of previous conversations including his music-production aims, might it not be permissible to suggest that what he ASKS for isn't necessarily what he WANTS?

If you're going to go around answering questions that nobody asks all the time it's going to get very hard to follow a thread...

If you go on a Studio SOS, and the first question is "where should I put the Brilliant Pebbles", might you feel justified in trying to change the question? :-)

No. I'd ask why he wants to use the pebbles and take it from there...

PS, in the recent issue, kudos to the team for having the honesty to say "you don't really need a master clock" when there was all that shiny and expensive equipment to review.

That's not actually what I said. I suggested that there are a number of good reasons to use a digital clock and that in some situations a master clock is absolutely essential.

However, in almost all cases a master clock degrades the performance of the converters and it is therefore not an appropriate device to employ in most small-scale systems.

And special kudos to Hugh for not taking the attitude "you're disagreeing with the boss! Out!"

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether they agree with me or not. All that is required is polite and civil behaviour.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby fay spook » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:55 am

Here are a couple of ideas if you dont mind a relatively easy kit

http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Preamps_-_poweramps/index.html

They also do a small valve pre-amp. You will recognise the ALPs pot from a lot of high end stuff. I know the company from their Gainclones. The kits arent expensive and you can try upgrading the PSU on the active pre-amps etc.

This is a more basic switching kit that also accepts balanced

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/control/darwin.aspx

BTW I always find Hugh's comments to be well informed and valid. I might have some disagreements in the details for the hi-fi discussions- but I am not saying he is wrong!!! I work with in audio processing where every detail and 0.1% can make a difference, so that is where my head is.
fay spook
Regular