You are here

Yamaha 02R help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Yamaha 02R help

Postby modula » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi there,
I'm thinking of buying a Yamaha 02r (the original, not the fancy 96, as I am poor). I've seen one that is a V1 and I've seen the second OS for sale too. Would installing OS2 on a V1 02R make it the same as an actual V2 02R, or is there a hardware difference too please? Cheers
modula
Poster

Re: Yamaha 02R help

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:02 pm

It's just the firmware. (software on a chip- or was it 2 chips - can't remember) anyway there was no hardware difference. Great mixer still, go for it.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Excellent - cheers!

Postby Remeniz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 pm

I wanted the 02R but settled for the 03D instead. Love it despite being nearly 14 years old.

It's similar to the 02R and the whole lot is driven by two RISC CPU's and any updates are firmware as mentioned previously.

They're also very easy to fix if needed.
Remeniz
Regular

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:34 am

I'm gonna get a couple of 03D's soon just to stash in case my 02R's ever go down. All my various outputs are routed through the 02R's and on to a 96k finalizer. My producer (who is blind and a great musician - nearest thing to golden ears I'm ever gonna meet) raves about the sound of this box and that box - but it's all 02R!

;)
Howdy Doody Time
Regular
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby clarepiper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:47 pm

How do I route the 2tr analog input to sound through the control room monitor. Yamaha support is no help at all, as they no longer support this model. Sadly I can't grasp the routing concepts at all.
clarepiper

Postby VTypeV4 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:57 pm

The manual is still available online - that routing is possible I'm quite sure with the correct combination of buttons on the right hand side of the console..

On the cluster of buttons mentioned above, you'll need to select the input source '2TR-A1' or '2TR-A2' - which ever you're using in the 'Control Room' section and then adjust the C-R level knob to the required level..
VTypeV4
Poster
Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Postby clarepiper » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:45 am

Already have the manual... I solved the problem of playback, but when i select a new channel to record a second track, the playback cuts out.
I can hear the channels with the control room ST button pressed, but no payback,,,OR 2tr-A2 selected with playback and no live channel.
clarepiper

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:57 pm

The monitor section on that console comprises a very simple one-at-a-time source selector. Followed b the usual control functions (volume, mono, dim, etc).

So you connect a two-track source to the appropriate monitor section input, you select the corresponding button in the control room source selector, and you hear that source -- and only that source. If you select a different monitor source you hear that instead. There is no mixing capability in the control room monitoring system.

It sounds to me that you're not using the mixer in the way intended for multitrack working, but the manual does explain quite well how to use its inputs and outputs, and the various channel controls for that purpose, allowing you to monitor both the pre-recorded tracks and new live sources through the mixer. The control room monitor source would be the stereo bus for this purpose.

The other thing to be aware of is the track monitoring modes configuration of the multitrack recorder which will determine what the track outputs carry when tracks are armed to record etc.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound