You are here

Plextor DVD drive....repair or buy new one??

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Plextor DVD drive....repair or buy new one??

Postby Big Scottish Bloke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Hi all, its been a while, hope yer all well!

My Plextor PX 712A drive is not reading discs anymore...it doesn't see the blank cd sitting ready to be burnt.

Is this repairable? I suspect not....

So I probably need a new drive....back in the day Plextor were the dogs baws, it was simple, everyone said "Buy Plextor, they're the dogs baws".

But now, Plextor seem to have faded away, and apparently the only drive worth buying is the Premium 2...which I cant seem it find anywhere, plus its v expensive and only does cd's.

I've tracked down a Plextor PX 870A...but is this any good?

Appreciate any help...I seem to remember James Perret was the "Obi Wan" of DVD/CD drives.....help me...you're my only hope, etc etc.....

BSB
Big Scottish Bloke
Poster
https://soundcloud.com/studio611

Re: Plextor DVD drive....repair or buy new one??

Postby Big Scottish Bloke » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:54 am

Hang on, I've found another one, and it seems to be cheaper...
Plextor PX-L890 SA...is this any good? Or is it actually made by Matsui or something....? :headbang:
Big Scottish Bloke
Poster

Postby Big Scottish Bloke » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I think this is called a "bump"..... :beamup:
Big Scottish Bloke
Poster

Postby franciskimberley » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Would be worth asking this on the Mastering board... CD/DVD drives and what goes in them are important topics to mastering engineers (myself included!). I'd quite like to know the really experienced pro's thoughts on this, too, seeing as (to my relatively unbrainiac mind) the "drives and media" arena doesn't appear to be as simple as it has been in the past.
franciskimberley
Regular

Postby Tony O'Shea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 am

Hi,
I can´t comment on the quality of a Plextor DVD drive.

However, we just had what we thought was a dying Premium 2 - wouldn´t read blank discs like yours. On further investigation we traced it to a the power cable connecting the drive to the PSU. Changed the cable and the i/o point on the PSU and it´s working fine again. Might be worth a check just in case...

Cheers,
Tony
Tony O'Shea
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I've only just seen this so I guess it has been moved from somewhere that I don't often frequent.

The PX7xx drives are completely different to the newer PX8xx drives. The newer drives are just rebadged from other manufacturers like LiteOn or Optiarc. Plextor also stopped production of the last Premium drives last year so there's not much that I can really recommend. Quite a few people are now stocking up on as many old Plextors as they can find.

One thing that might be worth trying is disassembling the drive and gently cleaning the laser - I've heard reports of this working although I haven't tried it myself.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Big Scottish Bloke » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for your replies, its much appreciated :)

Tony, I did try the drive in another computer and unfortunately it was still the same.

James, I'm not terribly good at taking things apart- is there a laser cleaner disc that you could recommend? Or something like that?
Also, if Plextor aren't great for audio discs, is there any other brand you would recommend without having to shell out a fortune?
Thanks!
BSB
Big Scottish Bloke
Poster

Postby infiniteloop » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Chances are the drive would not see a laser-cleaning disc if it's not seeing any other discs..
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:16 pm

Big Scottish Bloke wrote:if Plextor aren't great for audio discs, is there any other brand you would recommend without having to shell out a fortune?

Aren't CD/DVD burners pretty much a commodity item these days?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 pm

It is a great shame that such quality optical drives are not available anymore. I am pleased I have 2 new ones for when my existing one fails.

It is one headache I can do without.

SafeandSound
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:44 pm

SafeandSound123 wrote:It is a great shame that such quality optical drives are not available anymore. I am pleased I have 2 new ones for when my existing one fails.

It is one headache I can do without.

I hope the firmware keeps up with current media specs. I sympathise with people who bought first-generation DVD players. They have to accept that their expensive "quality" equipment just doesn't do the job as well as a current £25 unit from a supermarket.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Seems perfect right now, I tend to get burns with < 0.5 C1 errors per second average. 220 permissible, and that is on a 5 y.o. 712A drive.

I am not anticipating issues.

SafeandSound Mastering
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
I hope the firmware keeps up with current media specs.

CD media specs haven't changed for many years. I'd much rather be lucky enough to have an old Plextor Premium than have to worry about the poor quality of most modern commodity drives.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue May 03, 2011 3:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:CD media specs haven't changed for many years. I'd much rather be lucky enough to have an old Plextor Premium than have to worry about the poor quality of most modern commodity drives.

Do the Plextors show signs of going on for ever? Good!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Thu May 05, 2011 10:11 pm

Of course they will break ultimately but most people who rely on them have made contingency to a degree. CD pre-masters are rolling off slightly as time goes on so it should be ok.(Thumbs up smiley)
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster