You are here

"It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

"It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

Postby alexis » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:30 am

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jan01/a ... maudio.asp

Hello - I have one of these old units (pre-USB model), it's a great little signal router/mixer that has a direct connection to a Delta 66 sound card. It's functionality includes 2 preamps, inserts, sends, multiple outs.

I'd thought about using the unit as a live box, or even potentially down the road with a new soundcard, but M-Audio have said it can't function when not connected to the computer/Delta 66. Indeed, I gave it a go, and a mic input routed to the direct outs sounds very soft and weak.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to "non-destructively" modify or otherwise use one of these in a standalone fashion? Thanks-
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: "It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi alexis,

Happy New Year to you!

I'm afraid I don't know if anyone has modified the Omni I/O to work as a standalone unit, although if it has its own power supply it ought to be possible.

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: "It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

Postby alexis » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Happy New Year everyone!

Thank you Martin and BJG145! (And thank you :) Martin for editing the jet-lagged silly error I made in the post title).

I have used the Omni I/O as a stand-alone pre-amp (IIRC, I had to take the out from the insert). Encouraging that it is likely doable (as it does have its own power supply) to mod it so as to use it as a stand-alone little mixer as well.

Having no perspective on this sort of thing - would it be expected to be a routine quick little fix for someone who knows what they are doing? Or, instead, the equivalent of experimental brain surgery?

Thx much!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:21 pm

My pleasure alexis ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Will Bailey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I use these as external pres too. I have a couple. Their THD tests at something like >0.001 at -0.1dBV and they're linear well past 24kHz. lots better than my mBox!
Will Bailey
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 am

Hi Will, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Thanks for that useful feedback too :)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Will Bailey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks!

It occurred to me a couple of days ago to use a male DB15 connector and short the respective outs to ins, this routes the mic/lines back into the mixer section of the omni. It also means that it's not a permanent mod. if you ever need to use it with a card you can remove the bypass plug. You could also make a breakout cable for patchbay action? that's probably overkill though.

Pinouts can be found here:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3775-Need-a-Pin-Out-for-Delta-66-15-way-connector

15 pin D-subs are here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/d-sub-connectors-1113
Will Bailey
Poster

Postby alexis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Will! Can I ask a few questions please!
Will Bailey wrote:Thanks!

It occurred to me a couple of days ago to use a male DB15 connector and short the respective outs to ins, this routes the mic/lines back into the mixer section of the omni.
Which specific ports did you connect please? Don't feel like I'll be offended if you use "baby" talk and say something like, "I connected Line In 1/2 to Direct Out 1", or something like that. I won't be!

Will Bailey wrote: It also means that it's not a permanent mod. if you ever need to use it with a card you can remove the bypass plug. You could also make a breakout cable for patchbay action? that's probably overkill though.

Pinouts can be found here:

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3775-Need-a-Pin-Out...

15 pin D-subs are here

http://www.maplin.co.uk/d-sub-connectors-1113

Thanks for that link! The last question is ... what is the end result of all this ... as a preamp alone, or is the "mixing" function now available w/out a computer?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Will Bailey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Which specific ports did you connect please? Don't feel like I'll be offended if you use "baby" talk and say something like, "I connected Line In 1/2 to Direct Out 1", or something like that. I won't be!

The pinouts on that link are given as:

1 - analog out1
2 - analog out2
9 - shared ground/shield for out1 and out2

3 - analog out3
4 - analog out4
11- shared ground/shield for out3 and out4

13- analog in1
6 - analog in2
14- shared ground/shield for in1 and in2

15- analog in3
8 - analog in4
7 - shared ground/shield for in3 and in4

on a male 15 pin d-sub connector, solder jumpers from the outs to the ins etc. i.e pin 1 to pin 13, pin 2 to pin 6 and so on.

This creates a "bypass plug" (for want of a better term), routing the signal that would have gone to the PCI card back into the omni box. This means that the mixer section (direct outs, FX sends, stereo bus, Headphone outs) can be used.
Will Bailey
Poster

Postby AmbitEnerg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:26 am

Will Bailey wrote:

1 - analog out1
2 - analog out2

3 - analog out3
4 - analog out4

13- analog in1
6 - analog in2

15- analog in3
8 - analog in4

on a male 15 pin d-sub connector, solder jumpers from the outs to the ins etc. i.e pin 1 to pin 13, pin 2 to pin 6 and so on.

This creates a "bypass plug" (for want of a better term), routing the signal that would have gone to the PCI card back into the omni box. This means that the mixer section (direct outs, FX sends, stereo bus, Headphone outs) can be used.

So, Alexis, are you satisfied with these reply? :?
AmbitEnerg

Postby alexis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Will Bailey wrote:

1 - analog out1
2 - analog out2

3 - analog out3
4 - analog out4

13- analog in1
6 - analog in2

15- analog in3
8 - analog in4

Just getting to see this, thank you, Will Bailey!

After googling/wiki basic terms, I think I may understand a lot more of the details mentioned. I think maybe two more questions would help me a lot:

1) just for the "big picture": would the end result be that' "visually" the distal end of the 15-pin cable (the end usually plugged into the computer) would now "dead end" at the modified sub-connector?

2) is the numbering convention of pins on a d-sub connector chiseled in stone? Though I didn't find such a convention on my 1st two looks in google, I'm sure that won't be a problem to find - just more concerned that 1 man's "pin 1" isn't another's "pin 3" etc.

Thanks, much! I'm very excited about this, in that when I have to get a new soundcard/interface, I'll still be able to use the nice mixing function of this box if the new gear isn't as flexible as, say, the rme totalmix-containing devices.
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby alexis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused again/still after thinking about it a bit more, and trying to figure out the signal routing ...

If the mods are made to the 15 pin connector ... what would the signal flow be if someone then plugged a mic into Input 1 or 2 (where the pre-amps are)? Would there be some horrible feedback loop?

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Will Bailey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm

The signal flow would be the same except instead of a computer you have a bunch of jumpers soldered to a DB15 connector.

so, the signal flow is described on the top of the unit. the arrow (and line) marked "computer" is replaced with your DB15 plug. This means that your four input channels are fed into the stereo bus along with the Aux and FX return channels. there will be no feedback unless you connect an out from the stereo bus into an input.

If you plug a mic into 1 or two your options for output are:

1. Insert point
2. Direct out
3. Effects send
4. Mix out
5. Mon out
6. HP out

For example, you could put a compressor on the insert point and a reverb/delay on the effects send and return then record from the mix out into your DAW.
Will Bailey
Poster

Postby Will Bailey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Sorry forgot to address the previous post! :headbang:

The connector will look like a connector with wire jumpers accross all the pins. it depends how neat your soldering is! if you get a connector that comes with a casing it will look like a plug stuck in the back of the unit.

The pins given are for the I/O card so in fact on the uni they are reversed (outs become ins) however, this doesnt make any difference to what you are doing, routing analog signals that would have been sent to an A/D converter to a line in that would have been expecting analog signals from a D/A converter. you're just cutting out the middle man.

Will
Will Bailey
Poster

Next