You are here

"It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: "It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

Postby alexis » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:39 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
alexis wrote:the back of my D sub pin looks just like the one Hugh posted above (with the colored lines connecting), i.e., with little "tubes" sticking out the back. It almost looks like the tiny tubes would be ready to accept really tiny pins attached to tiny wires that could make the connections, instead of soldering. Is that possible, or is that just what things that need to be soldered look like?

No, the 'tubes' are where you place the wire and then solder. There are no 'plug pins' and attaching them to the wire would be harder than simply soldering the wires into the holes anyway!

H

Ok then - off to the solder girl!

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: "It's not possible to use Omni I/O as a stand alone unit, not connected to a computer" - just checking to see if true …

Postby alexis » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:58 pm

Ladies and gentlemen - it works! :) :) :) :bouncy:

All soldered up with a "metallized" covering hub ... I can now use the unit as a free-standing pair of pretty decent pre-amps for live use (or, I think, even as a 3rd and 4th mic input into my current interface) ... or a pretty decent headphone amp x 2. It's got a pair of inserts, 4 individual direct outs, a Mono out/Stereo return aux channel ... much better than before the modification, when it was barely better than a brick (since it required a PCI card and my new computer doesn't have a PCI slot)!

Thank you everyone, especially Hugh - as always - and also to wherever you are Will Bailey, 2 years later, for supplying the pin out assignments and saving hours of time!

You guys are :angel: :angel: !
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:17 pm

8-)
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:50 am

Hurrah!

Only two years and you're sorted 8-)

And thanks for giving my January 2001 review of the "M Audio Delta 66 Soundcard & Omni I/O Front End" a couple of airings in the process :smirk:

Ah, that takes me back to the halcyon days of AKM AK4524 codec chips and GSIF-compatible drivers :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby alexis » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Hurrah!

Only two years and you're sorted 8-)

And thanks for giving my January 2001 review of the "M Audio Delta 66 Soundcard & Omni I/O Front End" a couple of airings in the process :smirk:

Ah, that takes me back to the halcyon days of AKM AK4524 codec chips and GSIF-compatible drivers :beamup:

Martin
You are welcome, imo none of the praise you gave it was misplaced, it was a great unit. Just to clarify, it wasn't a 2-year project, I just found I didn't actually need to modify until now! :)
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re:

Postby DINKIN » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:31 pm

I just purchased one of these off of eBay and I would like some assistance with understanding what the pinout plug connector should look like completed:

Are we just using jumper wires, or are there other components like resistors and capacitors and inductors and diodes?

If we are just using jumper wires, how do we limit the voltage and current so you don't damage the pre-amps?

I'm a little confused regarding the protection scheme and overcurrent protection, unless I'm just over thinking this?

Please advise, and if there's a pinout or diagram I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much
DINKIN

Previous