You are here

Patchbay noise?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Patchbay noise?

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:00 pm

vetsdiggy wrote:I'm strugleing to find a straight answer on line as to which of the bits on the back of the sockets I need to bridge to do this...
One of the main reasons I prefer the Samson S-Patch bays. Fully balanced and normalisation is a switch on the front panel for each pair. Simply superb.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm

The Elf wrote: One of the main reasons I prefer the Samson S-Patch bays.... normalisation is a switch on the front panel

Unfortunately, the Samson S-Patch costs around £100 compared to the Neutrik's £35 (for 2x24 connections in both cases). That's a huge premium to pay for the ability to change normalisation with a switch in my view. In general, once a system has been designed and installed there is no requirement to change the normalisation. That is only likely if there are significant changes to the equipment, in which case half an hour reconfiguring a patchbay isn't really much of a headache...

On top of which, the reliability and signal quality of connections through patchbays is questionable at the best of times. Adding further contact points in the form of unnecessary and unused switches to get dirty, coroded and noisy is surely asking for more trouble?

I know you'll probably tell me they have been 100% reliable, and you reconfigure the normalisation on a daily basis... ;) but that's why I recommend the Neutrik SPP patch bay: they are cheap, reliable, and good quality, with excellent grounding options, and comprehensive normalisation options -- albeit that require a few minutes with a screw driver rather than flipping switches.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I know you'll probably tell me they have been 100% reliable

I will! Much more reliable than my old Isopatch and Neutriks.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:and you reconfigure the normalisation on a daily basis...

No, but it makes it a doddle to do; far better than all that old-fashioned tedium of flipping modules or messing around with solder tags - god that was a pain!!

One studio where I work still has those flippable modular bays and the number of times they've come loose is depressing - I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

When I bought these bays I did it with some trepidation. I view Samson gear on a par with Behringer much of the time, but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised. These bays have been the best I've ever used.

I can only tell it like it is! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:13 pm

The Elf wrote:I will!

:D

... it makes it a doddle to do; far better than all that old-fashioned tedium of flipping modules or messing around with solder tags

No solder tags to worry about, and while the normalisation options do require the modules to be 'flipped' to the appropriate orientation, they are clamped firmly between front and rear panels and can't work lose -- althoguh I have come across other patch panaels that are poorly designed and do come lose (I had an old MXR one that suffered that way, and it was a real pain!)

These bays have been the best I've ever used.

Fair enough -- a good alternative recommendation is always useful.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby vetsdiggy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Cheers chaps!

I've actually gone with the TT option though.
I got all I need for it cheaper than you might think..... and the 96 way saves me on rack space...

Thanks for all your help!
Much appreciated!

Steve
vetsdiggy
Regular

Previous