You are here

Audio to Axon AX50?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Audio to Axon AX50?

Postby nylonpumper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Hi
I want to adapt a 13 pin DIN plug to connect a microphone / bass guitar etc. to my AX50 USB. Is this possible? If so, which pins should I use? The Axon 100 has a jack input so I'm supposing that what I want to do is feasible...
nylonpumper
New here

Re: Audio to Axon AX50?

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:29 pm

I am not exactly sure what you are aiming to achieve.

The 13 pin Roland standard does allow you to connect the output from the magnetic pick-ups to the Roland GK/Axon PU100, so you can connect using the single cable rather than two. But in the AX50 this signal is just passed through to the rear panel jack socket. The signal is not processed in any way, and is not connected to the MIDI conversion and mapping facilities of the AX50.

If you just want to use the pass through facilities of the 13 pin plug, the hot signal from the bass/microphone/whatever is connected to pin 7 and the ground is the common ground which uses the DIN plug sleeve.

If you want to use a bass guitar for MIDI you would need to source a bass equivalent to the Axon PU100 pick-up. Roland make the GK3B for basses (4-5 or 6 string) which fits in the same way as the PU100. It is also available as a kit for building into a bass. Something like the Graphtec Hexaphonic pick-up can also be built into a bass using a piezo bridge.

As for using the Axon to convert microphone signals to MIDI, you have a lot of research to do. I've not heard of anyone attempting that, and the Axon's algorithms are optimised for guitar strings so it might not be very good even if you can get it working.

The Axon pdf manual does include the pinouts, but it is wrongly labelled :headbang:

Axon also produced a separate document for the 13 pin connector which you may be able to find (any problems, send me a PM with your email address and I will email it to you direct).

You can also check these links for the pinout. The first includes Digikey part numbers for the 13 pin plug and socket, the second includes the original information reused in the first link.

Hope that helps.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby nylonpumper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Andy. Yes, I've been trying to find a way of converting microphone signals to MIDI in real time for enhanced performance.
I've tried the Widi plugin which is not up to the job. 'Digital Ear' seems to be the best software solution (great demos on their site) but there's only a PC version available. I'm tempted to invest in a PC just to use this software.

I've been using the Axon with the Godin for a couple of years and been getting great results and just wondered how it might work with a mic (having indentified the right pins to use) as the AX100 does have jack input for monophonic signals.
nylonpumper
New here

Postby zenguitar » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 pm

nylonpumper wrote:.. as the AX100 does have jack input for monophonic signals.

I think you do not understand fully. I mentioned this in my previous post.

The jack input on the pick-up has NO CONNECTION to the audio to MIDI conversion function of the AX50 or AX100.

It DOES NOT provide a way to convert mono audio to MIDI.

The 1/4" input on the pick-up is designed for you to plug the normal guitar pick-up into INSTEAD of using a normal guitar lead. And that input is ONLY connected to the 1/4" output on the rear of the AX50/AX100.

The connection only exists so you only have to use one lead instead of two.

Do you need the audio to MIDI conversion for live use or studio work? If just in the studio a software solution would be a good option.

There are programs like Melodyne which can analyse audio recordings and generate MIDI. And in the Reaper DAW there is a plugin called ReaTune which can generate MIDI from monophonic audio also.

Hope that helps.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Airfix » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:28 am

The Axon AX50 does not have a jack input - the jack socket at the back is the audio out.
You will have to go in from the front.
The Axon 13 pin assignment chart is HERE (page 34).
To have any real chance of controlling a midi instrument 'live' with your voice, I think you will need to put some sort of pitch correction device before the Axon - Good luck with it and please let us know how you fair.
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 am

Hi nylonpumper

The old roland GI-10 has a mic input that would do what you require.

I have one and I did give it a try when I first got it, but my singing didn't produce usable results. It did however do pretty well with a recorder.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby nylonpumper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks Andy - rest assured I DID get what you were saying, first time around lol! It's just that I'd picked up on this other SOS thread below. I didn't know that the mono audio-to-MIDI input had been left out of the AX100 Mk II.
Thanks Airfix - I'll post my results.
Must say again the the 'Digital Ear' singing-to-MIDI demos are really quite impressive, PC required of course, or Boot Camp :/

Voice to Midi - Does it work? Is it possible? Where to look?
Udo
01-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Pitch to MIDI works quite well with Melodyne, but is not available in all versions.

If you want to do it 'real-time', you should try some of the older guitar pitch to midi converters with audio input, like the Roland Gi-10, Axon AX-100 (not the MkII). Can't remember if the older Axon NGC models or the Yamaha G50 (Axon clone) have that facility.

The reason the audio input was dropped from later models does not mean that it didn't work. However, results varied greatly, depending on the freq, range, level and quality of the input signal (and patience of the user, to set it up properly).
nylonpumper
New here

Postby DAGGILARR » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Yes it is possible with JamOrigin pitch to midi software solution.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Postby nylonpumper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes Daggillar, JamOrigin MidiGuitar works a lot better than Widi, but I can only get it triggering in Logic by using it standalone. Inserted as a plugin I can't get it to output MIDI. I had Widi working through the IAC driver but no luck so far with this...
nylonpumper
New here

Postby DAGGILARR » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Thats a Logic thing it will not route midi out of an audio track, I use it as a stand alone but routed to Logic and can record midi no problem, just select rout to DAW and it will trigger any instrument loaded in Logic.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby DAGGILARR » Wed May 01, 2013 4:27 pm

nylonpumper wrote: Inserted as a plugin I can't get it to output MIDI.

This should be fine for performance if you load it as an effect plugin then select your instrument from the drop down in the MidiGuitar GUI it will output the result as audio.

Personally I find the stand alone mode fine and have not encountered any latency issues that matter. (having said that I do not use it for performance just composition, so being able to edit the midi is imperative) I also found the the voice experiment I did was way to flakey to be useable (but then so is my voice :) )

Also there is an update due any day now to V7.0 and I believe that some form of 'midi through' is on the cards. There is an extensive thread about this software HERE and they are very good about responding to queries both on that forum and directly
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster

Postby nylonpumper » Sat May 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks, this isn't bad - it works better with a mic as a plugin with autotune before it.
nylonpumper
New here

Postby FRANCISCO APARECIDO SABIO » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:51 pm

Por favor, alguém pode me ajudar a ajustar o axon ax-50 usb para melhor captar um violão midi pois estou com dificuldade? Obrigado
FRANCISCO APARECIDO SABIO

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Here's a translation from Google translate if that helps. Welcome to the SOS forums.

Please, can someone help me to adjust the axon ax-50 usb to better capture a midi guitar because I am having difficulty? Thank you

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:45 pm

I can't help with instructions, but here's PW's review of it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/terratec-axon-ax50-usb
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound