You are here

SPL Crimson

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

SPL Crimson

Postby jodybet » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi
Has anyone had experience with this interface. It is very new and they aren't any reviews out there. It looks perfect to replace my ageing Mackie Satellite and give me a couple more channels.
This combination of a monitor controller and 4 Channel interface (with two extra S/PDIF) seems perfectly pitched at home studios that are looking for a quality interface. M Audio came close with the C600 but it seemed a little plastic and cheap. Plus SPL have a great rep of course. I would rather get two good Mic Pres and then use some external pres than 4 not so good one. Inserts would be nice but you cant have it all.
Thoughts appreciated.
ciao
Jody
http://spl.info/produkte/interfaces/cri ... uerze.html
jodybet
New here

Re: SPL Crimson

Postby jodybet » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 am

Hi
It seems release of this product is delayed until end Nov. But here is some more info just released on their website. They added some new features including Talkback.
http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/crimson/Crimson_Product_Overview.pdf

Looking forward to a SOS review. Hint Hint!!
Reminds me alot of the "ahead of its time" and now discontinued Mackie Satellite (I still use this excellent device - works with OSX Maverick perfectly).
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec07/a ... ellite.htm

Jody
jodybet
New here

Postby Sir Hannes » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 pm

So how do you like it?
I am still on Mackie Satellite - and now they have Crimson 3. :!:
Sir Hannes
New here

Postby Chromeman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:55 am

I had one (V2) for a while. Pros: great sound quality, ease of use and built like a tank. Cons: ultimately not enough inputs (it really needs an ADAT port) and I found the fact that you couldn't record from the 'Source' inputs really annoying. If you know you are never going to need the extra inputs, however, it's a great unit but there's a lot of competition at this price point.
Chromeman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:39 am

The "three" still does not have ADAT. It is not as if there is no room? The MIDI ports could be moved up a tad and a pair of optical ports fitted.

I am NO expert but I doubt ADAT is a seriously expensive addition? I had a Behringer BCA2000 (bought on the strength of an SoS review and FOR which I have never forgiven them!)
That was £150 and had ADAT. In fact when it first came out the SPL Crimson reminded me quite a bit of the BCA2K, a very useful format and with many useful facilities almost never seen today on AIs. What a pity Behringer could not make it reliable and write some decent drivers!

The thick end of £600 is a lot for those few tracks. I seriously wish Native Instruments would "expand" the KA6 to something similar. With ADAT and shipping at sub £400 that could wipe the floor with the competition IF they kept the low latency and stonking drivers.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Amazing how a five years old question about an interface which hadn't come out yet and is no longer produced can produce so many followups... :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:07 pm

ef37a wrote:I had a Behringer BCA2000...
That was £150 and had ADAT.

Dave, I imagine Behringer could include ADAT ports on their low-cost device because they'd negotiated a license rate from Alesis based on the number of units they would be manufacturing/predicted sales, and for the BCA2000 that would be a lot higher globally than the Crimson.

Being a smaller outfit, the license cost to SPL would therefore be higher per unit.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,310 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Chromeman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:45 pm

CS70 wrote:and is no longer produced :D
..they've just come out with version 3...
Chromeman
Regular

Postby Sir Hannes » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Chromeman wrote:however, it's a great unit but there's a lot of competition at this price point.

So what interface come to your mind? The Version 3 has the Phonitor Matrix. I recently bought some reference headphones and I will continue working more on them than with studio speakers. This Matrix would be the next step for my work.
But still, I am open to other one. E.g. the new Audient i4, because of the three buttons you can configure for your own (e.g. mono, swap, dim) it's what I want and need. BUT I am a lazy man and to earn money with what I do is not enough to always get the newest interfaces. That means, what I buy, I will use for minimum 5 years or more! And that's a big contra for the Audient, as this device will work mostly only with drivers - with computers. The SPL works for it's own, it does not care about if you use a PC, a Mac or if you're still on OSX Mavericks. As with the Mackie Satellite, I switch it on, and it works. If the drivers for Audient won't be updated, I can switch it on, but their mixer software might not run. So throw it away after 5 years? No, I don't want to waste high technology just because of that. That's my point.
I could buy for the price of a SPL Crimson 3 a second hand RME, which drivers are excellent (they say). But I don't like the format (19"HE), I don't like the buttons and so on.
:headbang:
Sir Hannes
New here

Postby Chromeman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Well you might consider the RME Babyface Pro for starters. More i/o, runs standalone, drivers have huge compatibility etc etc....
Chromeman
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:42 pm

Chromeman wrote:
CS70 wrote:and is no longer produced :D
..they've just come out with version 3...

Exactly..
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

Forum Admin wrote:
ef37a wrote:I had a Behringer BCA2000...
That was £150 and had ADAT.

Dave, I imagine Behringer could include ADAT ports on their low-cost device because they'd negotiated a license rate from Alesis based on the number of units they would be manufacturing/predicted sales, and for the BCA2000 that would be a lot higher globally than the Crimson.

Being a smaller outfit, the license cost to SPL would therefore be higher per unit.

B.B.B.But James it is 600 quid! The tassy 20-20 is £400 and knocks chunks off the Crimson for connectivity. Ok, it could be argued that the Crimson is a better product in some ways but could you actually tell? Lot of money for a lot less I/O!

Oh and I am glad Behringer had to stump up for a license! The AI was a brilliant concept but unreliable crap. I hope they lost money on it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 pm

ef37a wrote:
B.B.B.But James it is 600 quid!

I think that was Ian you were replying to...
ef37a wrote:Oh and I am glad Behringer had to stump up for a license! The AI was a brilliant concept but unreliable crap.

They probably wouldn't have to stump up for a license these days as they've now bought the chip making side of the company so other people have to pay Behringer for the ADAT related chips.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm

James Perrett wrote:
ef37a wrote:
B.B.B.But James it is 600 quid!

I think that was Ian you were replying to...
ef37a wrote:Oh and I am glad Behringer had to stump up for a license! The AI was a brilliant concept but unreliable crap.

They probably wouldn't have to stump up for a license these days as they've now bought the chip making side of the company so other people have to pay Behringer for the ADAT related chips.

Sorry James my laptop shut down on me, think I am going to have to stump up for anther battery! Then, SoS does not auto-save so this med-ridden, 1.25 eyed old feller got confused!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Dave,

I'm not offended, so nee problem.
Forum Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:37 pm

James Perrett wrote:They probably wouldn't have to stump up for a license these days as they've now bought the chip making side of the company so other people have to pay Behringer for the ADAT related chips.

Not sure this is factually correct, James. Behringer do have in-house chip manufacturing capability, but as far as I am aware they did not buy Alesis, so a license/royalty would still be required to include ADAT connectivity on any B. products.

(I may be wrong, of course, so happy to be proven so.)
Forum Admin

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:02 pm

Just had a look at the data sheet for one of Wavefront Semiconductor's ADAT chips and it says:

Use of the ADAT Optical interface
(including the OptoGen and OptoRec)
requires a license agreement (generally
royalty-free) between the manufacturer
and Wavefront Semiconductor. Details
and agreement information are available
upon request from Wavefront directly, or
on our web site.

This implies that it is Wavefront that own the rights and Behringer's parent company now own Wavefront. Mind you, the mention of royalty-free would imply that other manufacturers don't have to pay either (apart from actually buying the chips themselves).

Of course, I've never tried to market anything with an ADAT interface on it so the actual legal arrangements could be different (but most interface standards like SPI and I2C don't require royalty payments).
James Perrett

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:06 pm

I stand corrected James. Didn’t know it was Wavefront they’d bought.
Forum Admin

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 pm

Forum Admin wrote:I stand corrected James. Didn’t know it was Wavefront they’d bought.

TC bought Wavefront and then the Music Group bought TC Applied Technologies. Interestingly, The Music Group have now split the semiconductor group into two with TC Applied Technologies supporting the DICE III chips and a company called Cool Audio looking after most of the other product range (as well as apparently acting as distributors for other semiconductor brands).

http://www.coolaudio.com/aboutus-page.php
James Perrett