You are here

Manufacturers offering Educational Discounts

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Manufacturers offering Educational Discounts

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:09 pm

I think the right to use the products (Destktop Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) only lasts while you are a student/employee.

From memory, MS 'checks' every so often to make sure you are still licensed. I have Office 365, which I can install on five PCs, multiple other devices, etc., through York University. However, rather than just being a bonus, they are an essential part of your ability to function, especially with so much online working at present. And who would actually volunteer to use Sharepoint or Teams unless they had to!
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Office 365 is a subscription though not a one off licence purchase?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:22 pm

You’re correct, Sam.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Yes Sam, either monthly or yearly, although there is a one-off payment for Office Home & Student 2019. But you would be better of with Libre Office.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/buy/compare-all-microsoft-365-products
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Yes, Open Office is great, being all Mac here these days I have Open Office. But OO Base is not so good, it appears, for relational databases, I have tried to recreate an Access invoice database I wrote a few years ago for my wife's ballet school and it crashed frequently so eventually I gave up. By the time the antique Win7 netbook we currently run it on dies we will have got over to an online billing system so we won't have any need for MS Office.

FWIW Access and Publisher are the only Microsoft apps I miss and, on a Mac, the subscription version of Office (i.e. Office 365) is the only way to get Access, Publisher has, AFAIK, never been available for OSX.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Stafford » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:12 pm

When I was an OU student I got MS Office free. That was 2017.
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Zukan » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:55 am

ben_nugenaudio wrote:
Zukan wrote:
ben_nugenaudio wrote:NUGEN Audio offers 50% discounts for education institutions, faculty members and students. Email support (at) nugenaudio.com for more info :D

Ben

It's a shame you don't provide this for private tutors. I would love to send my students to your site to buy tons of goodies as I rate and use your products.

Feel free to email support (at) nugenaudio.com - they might be able to help you out!

I have an excellent relationship with them so good call I will thanks.
Zukan

Previous