You are here

Tannoy 802 Monitors - Great Sound - But Some Noise

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Tannoy 802 Monitors - Great Sound - But Some Noise

Postby pacificm » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm

I have a pair of older Passive Tannoy Reveal monitors (Red-faced monitors - http://www.tannoystudio.com/media/1143/reveal_series-4-.pdf.) When I turn them on, I hear no noise coming from them at all. Just quiet.

I just received a pair of Active Reveal 802 monitors. They sound great. But, when I turn them on, I hear a subtle electronic noise coming from them when I put my ear near them. This occurs whether the 802 volume is set to low or high and with no audio connected. The 802 is plugged into the same electrical source as the older Reveal speakers and is routed through a Furman 8 + 1 Power Conditioner. (The noise is present even if they are plugged directly into an outlet. Also, the Voltage Select is set to the correct setting.)

I contacted the dealer regarding this. Their tech department tested an 802 and found the same noise. Now, the dealer is recommending I return the 802s for other speakers. This is a dilemma. Is it normal for there to be a subtle noise coming from the 802s when they are turned on or is this a sign of a problem that should be addressed? I would appreciate any feedback others might have. Thank you.
pacificm

Re: Tannoy 802 Monitors - Great Sound - But Some Noise

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:23 pm

What sort of amplifier are you using with your old Reveals? Do you hear much noise through them when the amplifier is turned up?

A small amount of noise when you put your ear close to the HF driver is perfectly normal with most speakers as the noise free amplifier hasn't been invented yet. However, it shouldn't be audible from your normal listening postition.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:44 pm

As James says, the noise-free amplifier hasn't been invented and there will most certainly be some noise from your passive Reveals when the amp is running. It's just too low to hear above the ambient noise of your listening room. This suggests a very good amp design and a sensible gain structure.

Most budget active speakers use 'chip amps' which are often a lot noisier than an external discrete-circuitry amplifier, and I suspect that's the issue here.

However, it is not unusual to hear some low-level hiss from the tweeter when you put your ear right next to it, and it isn't a problem either provided you can't hear the noise when you're listening from a normal position.

Naturally, the closer you are to the monitors, the more audible any self-noise will become. So if you are pretty close to your monitors (such as if they are on a small desk etc), perhaps a different type or brand with lower self noise would be more appropriate.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby sos4andy » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 pm

Old thread, but with my Adam A5X, balanced cables and Focusrite Pro 14, I can't hear a thing even with my ear right up to the cone... Do you have a fluorescent light in the room?
sos4andy
Regular