You are here

"Broken" Zoom R16

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

"Broken" Zoom R16

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

I got my R16 multi tracker out the other day, intending to use it as a PA mixer while recording my band rehearsal. Popped an 8GB SD card and some batteries in it, switched on: and nothing, no lights on, nobody home.

Checked and changed batteries to new ones. Dug out wall-wart adaptor. Plugged it in. Nothing.

Gave it a shake and a couple of gentle taps, tried everything again. Nowt.

Researched "Dead Zoom R16". Some problems reported, but no solutions other than sending it back. Not an option for me, I've had it 4 years.

Looked up prices of Zoom R16 on internet, expecting them to have fallen a bit. Wrong! Still up near £300.

Oh no! It was working three months ago!

Tried plugging into PC via USB lead. Still, nothing.

Took R16 apart with screwdrivers, looked for loose components, put it back together, plugged it in. Still dead. Did it again. Still dead.

Had sudden brainwave while trying to put it back together a third time. Removed SD card, which by some miracle of returning memory, I remembered had been reported as "corrupt" by my MBP when I last tried to use it.

Plugged R16 in. Bingo! It works. Thank God for that, bought an 8GB SanDisk card off Amazon for £2.50.

I cannot believe I was so stupid, I should have pulled the card first!

Anyway... just in case this happens to anyone else, I thought I'd share the experience!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Re: "Broken" Zoom R16

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:00 am

I've not got one of these beasts but plenty of other bits of kit that use SD cards. I don't think I would have linked a refusal to power up at all to a duff SD card, so thanks for the cautionary tale.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:I've not got one of these beasts but plenty of other bits of kit that use SD cards. I don't think I would have linked a refusal to power up at all to a duff SD card, so thanks for the cautionary tale.

Well, yes, exactly, I'd ordinarily expect to see an error message or a "No memory card" message or something.

Maybe something electrical wrong with the card? Anyhoo, cheap as chips to replace, and hopefully I've not damaged the R16 when I opened it up!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am

Edit: Sorry, didnt read you post fully. I posted a possible solution to a problem you didnt have!

Glad you got it going again. I have an R16 too. Will keep what you said in mind, thanks.

Cheers Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Edit: Sorry, didnt read you post fully. I posted a possible solution to a problem you didnt have!

Glad you got it going again. I have an R16 too. Will keep what you said in mind, thanks.

Cheers Tim

Lol, thanks Tim! Out of interest, what was the solution you posted? (if you can be bothered to post again!)

The R16 is a sterling piece of kit, close to a perfect design IMHO (within the limitations imposed by budget, of course) I was gutted to think I'd lost mine!

The only improvement I'd seriously like, would be four extra inputs and the ability to record 12 tracks at once.

I can get by with 8 inputs and tracks at once, but 12 would give more options for multi-tracking drums at the same time as the rest of the band.

Of course, I could just buy another R16 and master/slave it! Hmmm...
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Richard Graham wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:Edit: Sorry, didnt read you post fully. I posted a possible solution to a problem you didnt have!

Cheers Tim

Lol, thanks Tim! Out of interest, what was the solution you posted? (if you can be bothered to post again!)

The R16 is a sterling piece of kit, close to a perfect design IMHO (within the limitations imposed by budget, of course) I was gutted to think I'd lost mine!

No problem. I'd missed the end bit where you removed the SD card and fixed the problem. I thought that if it were apparently dead, it may have been just the LCD backlight failing, which can sometimes happen with LCD screens, and may have been a worthwhile repair... But it was only the faulty SD card which is great.

My main problems with the R16 are seemingly noisy mic pre's ( I dont trust the noise levels much above minimum gain ) and the very basic 4 segment LED record level metering. The lowest indicator is -48dbFS which is OK, but the next one up is -12dbFS, a whopping gap of 36db!
In setting up I sometimes have to "hunt" the record gain up and down between the two indicators to get more of an idea where the signal is peaking.

By comparison the old H4 that I still use has a more continuous LCD display, making setting levels a lot easier - although I need my specs to read the tiny screen! The H4n of course has many improvements including a bigger screen. But yes for the money the R16 is a very useful little tool. I'm using it to multitrack record audio from the desk for concert live video shoots.

Tim
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:09 pm

I think the H4 (which I also have) only has 3 gain settings (H/M/L): I believe the other recording level setting is just digital and doesn't control the pre-amps, so I never bother with it: but I am happy to be corrected!

I record noisy music from loud, noisy sources (drums, overdriven guitar amps etc). Pre-amp noise isn't such an issue for me! I just turn up the gain until the little red light flashes occasionally, and leave it there!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I share the enthusiasm for the R16 and was a very happy user for several years.

I used mine both free-standing and linked to a desk - either via sniffers or mic splitters. In free-standing mode my only gripe - apart from preamp issues which in all honesty I never found too much of a problem - was that there was only phantom on 2 channels. I understand why; for the money you pay you can't have everything. Eventually in 'free-standing' I married it up to some external preamps.

I've just 'upgraded' to a Cymatic LR-16 which had it's first outing last weekend driven from inserts as it's designed to be. Very pleased, but even with the pads all on and very conservative gain-settings on the mixer I ran out of headroom once on a very dynamic piece. Fortunately, the clipping is very slight and I can rescue what was effectively a live take.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby rec-tec » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:06 pm

hi. there must be some kind of synchronicity here. after reading this post i got out my H4N to do some recording and it would not switch on. i took out the SD card......but actually it was not that. i then fiddled with the adapter, hmm. nothing. i then got the adapter from my R16 (which i agree - is fab for what it is) and plugged it in. after a little wiggling in sprang into life - only to switch off again.

in short - i think i have a problem with the power-in socket on my H4N (which is very disappointing, despite being a few years old has had light/careful (to the point of OCD) use). has anyone else experienced this issue (faulty power-in socket) and is there a solution?

sorry for hi-jacking the OP.....have i transgressed some socially acceptable aspect of posting? :)

cheers

R-T
rec-tec
Regular

Postby Richard Graham » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:51 pm

rec-tec wrote:hi. there must be some kind of synchronicity here. after reading this post i got out my H4N to do some recording and it would not switch on. i took out the SD card......but actually it was not that. i then fiddled with the adapter, hmm. nothing. i then got the adapter from my R16 (which i agree - is fab for what it is) and plugged it in. after a little wiggling in sprang into life - only to switch off again.

in short - i think i have a problem with the power-in socket on my H4N (which is very disappointing, despite being a few years old has had light/careful (to the point of OCD) use). has anyone else experienced this issue (faulty power-in socket) and is there a solution?

sorry for hi-jacking the OP.....have i transgressed some socially acceptable aspect of posting? :)

cheers

R-T

Use batteries!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Weird coda: received new SD cards today - 8gb SanDisk for only £2.60 - how times change!

Plugged in SD card, popped 6 brand new AA Duracell batteries in... Nothing. Screen dead.

Checked polarity of batteries once, checked twice, took out and replaced, repeated. Nada.

WTF?

Tried with mains adapter. It worked!

On checking the Duracells using my handy battery tester, every single one of the 6 was almost, but not quite, flat. These were new out of the packet the other day, and had not been used apart from in my "dead" R16 for 20 minutes the other day while I tried to figure out what was up with it! Coincidence? Or were they somehow drained by my duff SD card?

All very odd.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:21 am

It may be that your faulty card had a short between the power rails and drained the batteries in the time it took you to figure out what was going on. I had a faulty microSD card that had such a fault (and it was bl00dy hot when I took it out of the adaptor!)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Hairy Ears wrote:It may be that your faulty card had a short between the power rails and drained the batteries in the time it took you to figure out what was going on. I had a faulty microSD card that had such a fault (and it was bl00dy hot when I took it out of the adaptor!)

Thanks for that... I figured it could be something like that. Interesting to hear you've had a similar experience. Lucky the damage wasn't worse!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Re:

Postby dennyblokland » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Richard Graham wrote:I got my R16 multi tracker out the other day, intending to use it as a PA mixer while recording my band rehearsal. Popped an 8GB SD card and some batteries in it, switched on: and nothing, no lights on, nobody home.

Checked and changed batteries to new ones. Dug out wall-wart adaptor. Plugged it in. Nothing.

Gave it a shake and a couple of gentle taps, tried everything again. Nowt.

Researched "Dead Zoom R16". Some problems reported, but no solutions other than sending it back. Not an option for me, I've had it 4 years.

Looked up prices of Zoom R16 on internet, expecting them to have fallen a bit. Wrong! Still up near £300.

Oh no! It was working three months ago!

Tried plugging into PC via USB lead. Still, nothing.

Took R16 apart with screwdrivers, looked for loose components, put it back together, plugged it in. Still dead. Did it again. Still dead.

Had sudden brainwave while trying to put it back together a third time. Removed SD card, which by some miracle of returning memory, I remembered had been reported as "corrupt" by my MBP when I last tried to use it.

Plugged R16 in. Bingo! It works. Thank God for that, bought an 8GB SanDisk card off Amazon for £2.50.

I cannot believe I was so stupid, I should have pulled the card first!

Anyway... just in case this happens to anyone else, I thought I'd share the experience!

OMG I was just about to throw this unit out, it froze, I could turn it off but it never turned back on. It was just DEAD.. No response at all. Just like you described...

So I figured to give it a shot on Google searching for 'Zoom R16 dead' and this forum popped up on the top, read your post, was surprised, popped out the SD card, turned the switch... WORKING! Incredible! Thank you for sharing man, this is what the internet should be used for. THANKS!

Denny
dennyblokland

Re:

Postby Sosojey » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Hello, im having the same problem of the dead zoomr16 but it didnt get solved by taking off the sd. I tried with batteries and still nothing

Do you guys know what else I can try?, thanks
Sosojey

Re:

Postby resistorman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:04 am

Yes, the SD card thing happened to me too. I have to wonder if the machine is causing the corruption of the SD card. I’ve never had a bad one other than in this situation, and I’ve used a lot of them. There seems to be a fair amount of people experiencing the same thing.
resistorman
Frequent Poster