You are here

Would you like your track remixed by SOS?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Would you like your track remixed by SOS?

Postby Zukan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:49 am

blinddrew wrote:Working on some stuff at the moment but not ready yet! :)

Well, get your act together...sigh.....
Zukan

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:58 am

Zukan wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Working on some stuff at the moment but not ready yet! :)

Well, get your act together...sigh.....

Literally working on it right now!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Korff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:54 am

Not at all — in fact, most of the tracks we work on are; that's what gives the column its 'rescue' name (though they're not all salvage jobs, by any means). The idea is to show people how a mix can be improved, but it's not an audio-editing or auto-tuning workshop, so ideally it'd be a musically competent track whose mix is letting it down, if you see what I mean.

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:36 am

Yeah, the column started out that way, and we're still very happy to take on amateur projects. Though of course we reserve the right to suggest that you go back and try to re-record certain sections if the salvage job looks too daunting ;)

The Mix Rescue column is now a mix of those sort of projects, and of more straight-forward mix jobs (those written by Neil Rogers generally fall into the latter category). The reason we added those is that we felt that the column had been giving the impression that you *should* be doing all of this corrective stuff in the mix stage, whereas in reality, on commercial projects many such problems would have been avoided further upstream, at the recording/programming/arranging stage. It's great that plug-ins can help you problem-solve such things, but we wanted also to give an impression of what mixing *should* be about when those first parts go as they should in the first place!

I'm also keen to add a few remix features under this guise — where someone does something like a dance remix of a rock or pop tune and writes up their approach, so candidates for that are welcome too. Just be clear about that when you write in.

Cheers,

Matt
mixrescue@soundonsound.com
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Zukan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:17 pm

You know Matt, now would be a good time to relaunch the Fiona Joy New Age stems remix project. I have all the stems and necessary info, and of course, all permissions in place.
Zukan

Previous