You are here

What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

Postby Andy McBain » Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Likewise - trialling Reference 3 with my HD650s. It makes them sound lovely, I have to admit. But I can't decide whether it's "useful" loveliness... I suppose time will tell as to whether my mixes actually translate properly after using it.
Andy McBain
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm also really impressed by the bass end on both my phones with the appropriate Reference 3 profile in place.

I'm also still loving the remainder of the spectrum through it as well. Having done some serious mixes since my last post, I've found I can work with my new (and now much coveted) AKG K712 Pro's with or without the Reference 3 plug-in, but I still maintain that they sound more natural with it in place.

For me, a very telling test was when I was initialy setting up a rough mix using pink noise (following the advice from our very own Eddie Bazil, aka Zukan of this parish:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/dec14/articles/pink-noise.htm

Just listening to the pink noise in isolation proved to me how natural the 712 sounds through the plug-in, but it still sounds odd to me without.

Having said that, loads of musicians seem to love 'em as is, so what do I know? Image

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hrodulf » Thu May 07, 2015 5:17 pm

What we had in mind when developing this software was of course improvement of sound, but above that for us comes the unification of sound signatures. I know that ATC openly state that all of their speakers share the same tonality with bigger boxes playing louder and dishing out more bass.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Well to return to an earlier stage in the thread I've now burned in my new K702s. At the beginning when I compared them to my old phones (a pair of Sennheisser HD590s, 20 years old now) they sounded bright and very harsh. Now they sound fine but the old phones simply sound muddy. So I guess that's a result.

I think I'll live with them a while before I try out the Sonarworks thing.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Zukan » Fri May 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Martin Walker wrote:

Having said that, loads of musicians seem to love 'em as is, so what do I know? Image

Martin

More than most Myth.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Fri May 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Zukan wrote:
Martin Walker wrote:

Martin

More than most Myth.

Aw shucks Image

However, with folks of the calibre of both you and Max extolling the virtues of the AKG K7xx family, I'm left with a little confusion about how natural they are supposed to sound. I've studied lots of measurements that seem to indicate the the K712 has both lower distortion and better transient response than the K701/702, yet their measured frequency response seem to be significantly less flat.

This to me reinforces The Elf's confidence in his own K701/702, but leave me wondering about the K712, which I currently love for their open and extended bass end, and the incredible detail, but not for their currently peaky midrange and top end response 'anomalies', even after about 100 hours burn-in.

Is it my ears? I suspect not, since the Reference3 plug-in corrects these anomalies beautifully, leaving the K712 sounding similar to both of my sets of nearfield monitors used over many years. But if it's not my ears, why is Max (whose audio opinion I really trust) so vehement that the K712 should be used as is, and not via any corrective plug-in?

I'm confused (not for the first time ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Cargo » Mon May 11, 2015 12:00 am

I ended up with focal spirit professionals. I'm doing this at home, within a busy house, so closed was the way to go. I went with a recommendation on these, and I love them, but I don't have a lot of reference to what most of you are using. It would seem that a flat response is a flat response, but I know every one has preferences. But I'm curious as to what the opinion of the focal phones are amongst the folks here.
Cargo
New here

Postby Ramirez » Mon May 11, 2015 1:10 pm

I'm trying the plugin out again. I hereby declare I haven't got a clue what to think.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon May 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Knowing how much I love and trust my Sennheiser HD650s, and having seen this quantified by our Latvian friends' graph :) I now am intrigued to see if they have a graph for Sennheiser's HD800's!
Although those cost over a grand #ouch
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Hrodulf » Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Have a gander.

Sennheiser HD800

Audeze LCD2 rev.2.5 (a rough measurement, hence there might be gremlins in highs).

Please don't ask for the profiles, we are far from having a good average curve for these headphones.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby ramthelinefeed » Mon May 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Thank you - certainly looks "better", in that the sub bass and very top end are flatter - there is actually an *extra" peak in the hi end though!
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby SecretSam » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:37 pm

"Clear !"

Foley: loud zapping noise, followed by moaning from the patient.

Right. Thread resurrected ...

These headphone calibration plugins of which many speak.

So you drop those in the master channel, yes ?

Would a calibration plugin fight with Waves Abbey Road studio three?

Is it a good idea to run both ?

Yes, I know I should download the demo and try it out. But it's a busy week.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby SecretSam » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:54 pm

... and how are those AKG712s working, now they have had five years to burn in ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Not necessarily the master channel, but in principle yeah - whatever channel you monitor through be it a bus or the master.

Doesn't seem to interfere in the slightest with Nx, if anything it complements it - be sure to run it AFTER the NxVMR / AR3 in the chain though.

Speaking about Sonarworks Ref 4.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby johnny h » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Andy McBain wrote:Likewise - trialling Reference 3 with my HD650s. It makes them sound lovely, I have to admit. But I can't decide whether it's "useful" loveliness... I suppose time will tell as to whether my mixes actually translate properly after using it.
I didn’t find it any easier to mix with the 650s. They simply aren’t physically capable of very good bass no matter what the correction curve.

The Audeze on the other hand are a big step forward and with Sonarworks Reference they are just outstanding.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous