You are here

What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

Postby Stinki » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm

What physical change to the headphones takes place during the burn in?
Stinki
Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:30 pm

zenguitar wrote:
Zukan wrote:My 712s took over 100 hours.

That not burn in time, that's time spent pole dancing for tips to pay for them...

Andy :beamup:

Zukan

Postby The_BPP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Stinki wrote:
What physical change to the headphones takes place during the burn in?

Dunno, maybe it just loosens the drivers a little. After all, 'speakers are very much physical things, not solid state.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:58 pm

Stinki wrote:What physical change to the headphones takes place during the burn in?

The K701/2 definitely do change character (slightly) after a while, but...

Personally I see absolutely no point in deliberately 'burning in'. Just use them - that's what 'burning in' really is!!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The_BPP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm

Normally, I'd agree with you, Mr Elf, but my experience with the K702 is they don't sound great straight out the box.

I was keen to try them out as soon as I got them. Plugged them into my Violectric V200 headphone amp, and auditioned them next to my HD800's. They sounded very poor in comparison. I burned them in for a couple of days (stuck them in the cupboard, noisy, open-backed things)... Then, they totally held-their-own against the HD800's. Different, but not inferior.

Mind you, there are some people who say that cables need burning in. Nobheads.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:31 pm

K712s are cardboard out of the box. Chalk and cheese once run in.
Zukan

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:34 pm

The_BPP wrote:Normally, I'd agree with you, Mr Elf, but my experience with the K702 is they don't sound great straight out the box.

I agree that they can sound a bit 'hard' out of the box.

But my point is that simply by using them you are 'burning them in'.

If you want to fast-track the process you can leave them unattended playing audio for hours on end, but unless you are intending to trust them for a critical mix on day 2 of ownership I really don't see the point.

These headphones are going to burn themselves in whether you like it or not, so just use them, get used to them, and let them do their thing! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The_BPP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Zukan wrote:K712s are cardboard out of the box. Chalk and cheese once run in.

Have you compared the K712s to the K702s? Is there much difference?
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:42 pm

Yep. Better low end extension. I got the 712s specifically for the genres I work in: EDM and Hip Hop.
Once I get over to Jack's gaff I'll try his Audese. I need a secondary pair and once the auction on my last nut closes on Ebay I will be in a position to hopefully afford one, or at the very least, the cable.
Zukan

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Zukan wrote:
Once I get over to Jack's gaff I'll try his Audese. I need a secondary pair and once the auction on my last nut closes on Ebay I will be in a position to hopefully afford one, or at the very least, the cable.

:D

Tell me about it. I've got the EL8 closed and open backs here and it's getting close to me pulling a card out of the wallet. What I'm finding is that I'm going to need a new headphone amp to drive them well, so that's a bonus. I mean they sound decent stright off the various music players I have sat around, but through a decent headphone amp is proving to be a worthwhile investment to get the very best out of them.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:03 pm

I've been trying out a pair of the LCD-X for the last couple of weeks. They are amazing, but like you say, don't really give of their best from a USB headphone amp or similar.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The_BPP » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Zukan wrote:Yep. Better low end extension. I got the 712s specifically for the genres I work in: EDM and Hip Hop.

Better bass, but presumably a fairly flat response?

I had a look at the LCD-X, and all I can say is, my car is probably worth less than those 'phones.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:43 pm

Zukan wrote:Yep. Better low end extension. I got the 712s specifically for the genres I work in: EDM and Hip Hop.
They look a bit 'National Health' to me, but I'm curious as to how they sound. Drop me a line if we're going to raid Jacks and eat all his flapjack!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 pm

The_BPP wrote:

Having A/B-ed the 702/712 I'll say that the 712's bass goes down deeper without receding. I've probably got used to my 702s such that it's not an issue for me (and I don't much deal in those 30Hz sub-kicks), but when I heard Zuke's 712 they did seem to get down to the subs without seeming at all hyped.

If I recall correctly he was going to swap his 712s for my last sausage tomorrow. At least I think that's what he meant...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 pm

This all sounds good to me, given that the music I record is nearly all acoustic. I should be fine on the K702's at around half the price of the K712's (been trading on a pair of Sennheiser HD590's for a long time and reckon it's about time I moved on up).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Some of the stuff I do actually is dance music with sub bass stuff but the K712's are like a £100 more. Rather importantly I find they look super cool with that orange detailing:

Postby Jeraldo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:04 am

The Elf wrote:

But my point is that simply by using them you are 'burning them in'.

These headphones are going to burn themselves in whether you like it or not, so just use them, get used to them, and let them do their thing! :D

That wasn't an option for me. Mine weren't cardboard, they were metal on metal. Completely unlistenable. 'Am very happy I persevered.
Jeraldo
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:01 pm

The Elf wrote:
They look a bit 'National Health' to me, but I'm curious as to how they sound. Drop me a line if we're going to raid Jacks and eat all his flapjack!

Will do.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:05 pm

The_BPP wrote:

I had a look at the LCD-X, and all I can say is, my car is probably worth less than those 'phones.

It's a hyped sound but one that you can get used to quite quickly. The K series do have the AKG family sound and for me it is perfect. I can nail the low end better with these than my HD650s as they are more upfront in the low end department.

Headphones are very personal and subjective and you really do need to audition a number of makes before you can feel really comfortable with your decision.

I was offered the K812 but I lent my last fiver to the Elf otherwise I would have given them a go.
Zukan

Postby Guy Johnson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm

mine? K 701's and for Lower-Fi the DT 100 is great -- and for tracking, too of course.
Guy Johnson
Frequent Poster
This is my few words.

PreviousNext