You are here

What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

Postby Ramirez » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Fresh K712 user here. Although just made the jump to them after using HD650 for years (the Sennheisers weren't strictly mine). Really enjoying listening to the AKG, but have started struggling a bit at this early stage with mixing. I have no doubt it'll come with time - they're just a bit different, and it's already getting a bit easier. It's hard, with all this talk of 'burn in' time and such, to know if they are actually 'burning in' or that simply I'm getting used to them.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby The_BPP » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Ramirez wrote:Fresh K712 user here. Although just made the jump to them after using HD650 for years (the Sennheisers weren't strictly mine). Really enjoying listening to the AKG, but have started struggling a bit at this early stage with mixing. I have no doubt it'll come with time - they're just a bit different, and it's already getting a bit easier. It's hard, with all this talk of 'burn in' time and such, to know if they are actually 'burning in' or that simply I'm getting used to them.

It's not just getting used to them, like I mentioned, I did an A/B comparison with a pair of HD800's before and after burn-in, and the difference was tangible.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby mr_sheen » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I can sing nothing but praise for the AKG K702's, they take a little while getting used to, but the clarity of them is sensational. The thing about getting used to them over other cans is that the bass may feel a little underwhelming than a lot of other headphones, which may make your mixes seem a little funny for a while. But you get used to this I find. They've currently went down in price a lot the past while (last I checked they were something like £150, which is £100 cheaper than when I bought mine.), so they're super headphones at the price especially.

I think AKG have now updated this range to the K712, which apparently improve on the K702's, with enhanced high end clarity, and a 3dB increase in the bass presence, which may be more preferable to some people.
mr_sheen

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:38 pm

Zukan wrote:The K series do have the AKG family sound and for me it is perfect. I can nail the low end better with these than my HD650s as they are more upfront in the low end department.

I've finally been worn down, and just placed my order for a pair of AKG K712 Pro headphones to partner my well-worn HD650s, largely because of the to-ing and fro-ing I'm currently doing at the bass end.

You guys are costing me money! :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm starting to feel like the poor kid in school here, slumming around with my 702s! :crazy:

Let us know what you think of them, Martin.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby John Willett » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:57 pm

If people really want to compare....

I have the HD 800, HD 650 and HD 600 (HD 580 Jubilee actually - same as the 600 but with a different paint job) and a Grace m903 headphone amp.

If you really want to hear the differences I can bring these with me to the Bristol Sausage Meet and if you bring along the K802 / K712 etc. and some known music we can compare.....
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 pm

John Willett wrote:If people really want to compare....

I have the HD 800, HD 650 and HD 600 (HD 580 Jubilee actually - same as the 600 but with a different paint job) and a Grace m903 headphone amp.

If you really want to hear the differences I can bring these with me to the Bristol Sausage Meet and if you bring along the K802 / K712 etc. and some known music we can compare.....

Is this an event for lovers of bangers, or something more naughty... :D :D :D

P.s. I'm waiting for my next pay cheque and then getting the AKG 712s as I'm skint at the moment :frown:

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm starting to feel like the poor kid in school here, slumming around with my 702s!

Say not so! Not when you've just convinced me that now's the time to buy a pair of 702s.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:47 am

John Willett wrote:If people really want to compare....

Now THAT's a good idea John Image

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:09 am

Well here's a thought, then. As I say I'm just about to buy a pair of K702s. If someone else can bring along a well used pair then in the spirit of scientific enquiry I'm prepared to put my new K702s on one side until the SoSmeet. We'll be able, once and for all, to see how much difference burning in makes.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby turbodave » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:28 am

Hi,Since buying the K712 pro , my mixes have improved..no doubt! Dave
turbodave
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby Hrodulf » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm

Just wanted to tell you that we at Sonarworks just updated our supported headphone list! Here's what you can use now -

AKG K141 MKII
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K701
AKG K702
AKG K712
Audio-Technica M20x
Audio-Technica M40x
Audio-Technica M50x
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Shure SRH840
Sony MDR7506
Superlux HD681

Or just send me a message and I'll get you the link to our latest plug-in release. It will be functional for 21 days.

If you were one of the blokes beta testing the previous 2.2 headphone plug-in, message me and I'll get you a free licence for this version as well!

P.S. My desert island cans are Audeze LCD-2. Marvelous sound and extra firewood if things go south!
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby FREisound » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 pm

SONY MDR 600 - a legend!
FREisound
New here

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:51 am

Hrodulf wrote:
P.S. My desert island cans are Audeze LCD-2. Marvelous sound and extra firewood if things go south!

Ha. Have you tried the LCD X? Flatter than the 2s or 3s. Apparently the new EL8s are very similar but at a fraction of the price... More like 500 quid or so. They will be a game changer if so. As they say (on Gearslutz). I believe the SOS review wheels are in motion.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hrodulf » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:52 am

Yeah, supposedly the X'es are flatter. Though you need to keep in mind that I run my headphones calibrated, so they should be very accurate. +/-0.3dB, if my engineers are right.

I still want to hear what Audeze has done with the EL-8 series. First impressions from people whose ears I trust are not very positive.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby Orgo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm

AKG DF 240 or Beyerdynamic tesla DT 1350.

The more surgical the better and DF 240's are.
Teslas are sickeningly loud and teleports
you right in front of an rather bold Genelec setup.
Orgo
New here

AKG K712 Pro and Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:43 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm starting to feel like the poor kid in school here, slumming around with my 702s! :crazy:

Let us know what you think of them, Martin.

Ok - a few days on, so here are my initial thoughts for what they're worth.

I still have my trusty Sennheiser HD650's, and have always been pleased with them, but last week bought the AKG K712 Pro's in search of 'deeper and easier to judge in mixes' bass.

I was well aware from this forum that the K7xx series sound initally hard and plasticky at the top end, and need at least a few tens of hours loosening up before any serious listening takes place, so I plugged them into my audio player and left them doing just that for a couple of days.

First listen to the K712 Pro's confirmed the lovely bass end, but the top end still sounded very harsh to my ears.

That is, until I downloaded Sonarworks' ( http://sonarworks.com ) Reference 3 headphone calibration plug-in, whose Hrodulf posts a lot here.

The difference was night and day - when I first tried the Beta of Sonarworks with my HD650, the plug-in did sound slightly different, but not so much that I anticipated having it in circuit all the time. However, with the K712 Pro it turns a a harsh, bass heavy monster into a superb listening experience.

At this possibly early stage I still can't see how AKG have managed to market a set of headphones that sound so dreadful as is, when they can sound so stunning after some corrective EQ. I'm very pleased I bought the K712 Pro's, but thus far I can't imagine using them without the Sonarworks plug-in.

Any thoughts from AKG users - am I not yet used to the family sound? :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Inglis » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

I wouldn't describe the K712s as 'dreadful', by any means, but yes they do have the AKG family sound and that means they are quite bright. I always feel there's something artificially wide about the way they present the stereo field, too, as though hard-panned things are made slightly more prominent than centre-panned stuff.

Personally I prefer phones with a fuller mid-range and a less pushed top end, but I don't think it's hard to adapt to the K712 sound.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: AKG K712 Pro and Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:26 pm

I'm surprised that they sound so bad to you, Martin. Please bring them with you to the next meet and we'll make some comparisons. For them to be so overtly bad I'm wondering if you've got a rogue pair - if not I'll be making you an offer for them! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Jack Ruston » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Those AKG's do need quite a bit of time to soften up. I found that when I reviewed the 812s.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext