You are here

What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: AKG K712 Pro and Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
At this possibly early stage I still can't see how AKG have managed to market a set of headphones that sound so dreadful as is, when they can sound so stunning after some corrective EQ.

Martin

This is a worrying turn of events :? :crazy: :?

Re: What are your go-to headphones for mixing!

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 pm

OK, perhaps I overreacted in saying 'dreadful', and I did go on to say that they CAN sound stunning with a few EQ tweaks ;)

However, I did so after nearly nine years with the Sennheiser HD650's, which have a very nuetral yet revealing sound, and my two sets of monitor loudspeakers (ATC SCM10 Pro and AVI Biggatron Red Spot), both of which are small sealed designs with a largely nuetral sound.

I still love the AKG K712 Pro's with the corrective EQ to make them more nuetral-sounding, but I am having difficulty adapting to the AKG family sound as is, which apparently so many other musicians love. It's very revealing, but with my heritage difficult to adapt to. I'm sure I'll get there - my shock was in hearing how much 'better' to my ears the K712 sounded with the corrective EQ from the Reference 3 plug-in (a MUST now in my book :) )

Will report back again after more burning in, mental adjustment, and some practical mixing work using them 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby John Willett » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:01 pm

The Elf wrote:I'm surprised that they sound so bad to you, Martin. Please bring them with you to the next meet and we'll make some comparisons. For them to be so overtly bad I'm wondering if you've got a rogue pair - if not I'll be making you an offer for them! ;)

So it looks as if it will be a good idea for me to bring my Grace m903 headphone amp along then :D

It will take any input - analogue balanced or unbalanced, digital wired or optical or USB. 8-)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:57 pm

John Willett wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm surprised that they sound so bad to you, Martin. Please bring them with you to the next meet and we'll make some comparisons. For them to be so overtly bad I'm wondering if you've got a rogue pair - if not I'll be making you an offer for them! ;)

So it looks as if it will be a good idea for me to bring my Grace m903 headphone amp along then :D

It will take any input - analogue balanced or unbalanced, digital wired or optical or USB. 8-)
Oh, my aching credit card...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Martin - look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've burned these in. I'd be interested to know if anyone else uses these reference plugins, it's bit much having to fork out for headphones only to find you still have to use a plugin to get the maximum benefits!! :madas:

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:31 pm

Imran500 wrote:Martin - look forward to hearing your thoughts once you've burned these in. I'd be interested to know if anyone else uses these reference plugins, it's bit much having to fork out for headphones only to find you still have to use a plugin to get the maximum benefits!! :madas:

The AKG K712 Pro's are loosening up nicely, and I'm now beginning to appreciate their different family sound compared with my Sennheiser HD650s. Yes, the K712 top end is still slightly 'hyped', but it's really helping me sort out mix details, while the bass end is now more 'natural' and extended to my ears than the HD650s.

Judging by the improvements so far, this AKG burning in seems quite a radical process! :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Martin Walker wrote:

Judging by the improvements so far, this AKG burning in seems quite a radical process! :beamup:

Martin

Looks like it - I take it you are not using the reference plugin as the AKGs slowly 'mature'

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm using the phones both with and without the plug-in at the moment - like you I can't envisage always having to use the plug-in whenever I want to plug in the phones, so I'm getting used to their sound 'as is'.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Martin any update a week on?

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm absolutely loving the bass end now, but am still reserving judgement about the top end, which still sounds oddly peaky to my ears without the plug-in ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby AdrianTatar » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Hrodulf wrote:

AKG K141 MKII
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K701
AKG K702
AKG K712
Audio-Technica M20x
Audio-Technica M40x
Audio-Technica M50x
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm
Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser HD598
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
Shure SRH840
Sony MDR7506
Superlux HD681

I hope you'll introduce also the Focal Spirit Professional on your list, even if there are closed back, their performances are very good.

Does appear by chance on the cover of the SOS Magazine in may ?
AdrianTatar
Regular

Postby Hrodulf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

We just made a preliminary Focal Spirit Pro calibration profile. Shoot me a PM and I can give it to you "under the counter".

It's not the final version, but it should be 90% there.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby AdrianTatar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:06 pm

;)
AdrianTatar
Regular

Postby The_BPP » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:26 am

So, how about a Sennheiser HD800 profile? I've got the AKG702s too, but I'd like to use the HD800's too.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:19 pm

The_BPP wrote:So, how about a Sennheiser HD800 profile? I've got the AKG702s too, but I'd like to use the HD800's too.

The HD 800 are what I use for mixing and mastering - excellent. 8-)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hrodulf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Not that easy to get hold of these HD800's. We did calibrate one from a German client (together with a K1000) and the result was terrific.
Hrodulf
Regular

Postby The_BPP » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Hrodulf wrote:Not that easy to get hold of these HD800's. We did calibrate one from a German client (together with a K1000) and the result was terrific.

I know it's cheeky, but couldn't you just release the calibration you did for the German client?
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby dickiefunk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Beyerdynamic 880 Pro's here. Love them 8-)
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
http://www.richardpenrose.com

Postby Ramirez » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 pm

Jusd demoed the Sonarworks plugin with my K712. It's certainly a massive difference... but I'm not convinced..
I haven't spent much time with it, but first impressions are that it just makes them sound a bit funny, with some odd whoosing resonances around 3k-ish. The very HF was more prominent without the plugin, and I think I prefer that. I may have just gotten used to the K712 'as is', but the plugin just sounded too soft, and just slightly odd.

The bass with the plugin in place is, however, unbelieveable. I listened to Ryan Adams & Norah Jones' 'Come Home' (beautifully done by Glyn Johns) and the bass drum was absolutely incredible. It's great with the K712 as is, but with the plugin... I don't think I've heard anything like it on phones.

Will have to borrow dad's HD650s again before the trial runs out.
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Postby johnny h » Sat May 02, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm using the trial with my Sennheiser 650s and the difference it makes to the bass is outstanding. It really gives you that massive impressive bass you get on a good club system. Whether that helps in making good mixes I'm not so sure. If it does I'll definitely be buying when the trial runs out.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

PreviousNext