You are here

Need help with Studiomaster 16-into-4 console!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with Studiomaster 16-into-4 console!

Postby FLIP22 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for reading.
I got a vintage 16-into-4 as a temporary piece for my new studio, specifically because I was led to believe that the 1/4'' inserts under every channel can be used as a direct out. Though I can find some info on similar models of this mixer, I can't find any specific manuals or info on this one, and I can't seem to figure out if I just can't do it, or if I'm missing something.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone!
FLIP22
New here

Re: Need help with Studiomaster 16-into-4 console!

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:51 am

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 13,475 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:44 pm

You'll also need some 'sniffer' cables. These are cables with a TRS connector on one end and whatever sort of connector you need for the gear you want to connect on the other. The TRS on the mixer end needs the tip and ring connected together if you want to send the signal to the faders - and this connection also goes to the signal input of whatever you're connecting to.

I'm sure Hugh will be along shortly with a suitable diagram ;)
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby FLIP22 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:20 pm

I really appreciate the help, but the 16-into-4 is actually not the same as 16-4-2, and I've already looked into that, but I will go through that manual again in case I missed something helpful.
FLIP22
New here

Postby FLIP22 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 pm

I have the right cables, and honestly don't care about sending the signal through the faders. I actually just need the direct outs to run into my interface. All real mixing elements are done digitally.

Sum up - Truly, thank you both, but my issue is not yet solved.
FLIP22
New here

Postby zenguitar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:12 am

Have tried contacting Studiomaster direct?

That link is to an email form, but the page has an address and phone number as well. You might be surprised how helpful they could be.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 am

An insert point can always serve as a direct out, so there must be something awry in the way you're using it, or in the way the desk is configured.

I'd suggest starting an exploration by running a signal through channel 1 to the main outputs. If that works, try plugging a TRS Y-cable or insert cable nto the insert socket for channel 1 (leaving the plugs at the other end isolated). The main output should go quiet because the signal is being diverted to the insert send and there's nothing being returned.

Next, touch the tips of the two TS plugs at the end of the y-cable together. This should link the insert send back to the insert return, and so the signal should reappear at the desk main output.

If all that works, the insert is fine, and you just need to figure out which TS plug is the send and which is the return! Most modern desks send from the TRS tip and return on the ring... But many older desks did it the other way around, and I think Studiomaster desks might be backwards (I can't remember I'm afraid).

If you want the signal to run through the desk as well as provide a direct out, you'll need to make up dedicated 'sniffer cables' in which the tip and ring of the insert plug are wired together, and the tip also wired to the direct out plug tip.

If the insert socket doesn't work in the way I describe above, something unusual is going on, and it will take rather more involved exploration. For example, there might be some links on the channel circuit boards to disable the inserts, or there might be a button on the channel strip to disable the insert socket.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Most modern desks send from the TRS tip and return on the ring... But many older desks did it the other way around, and I think Studiomaster desks might be backwards (I can't remember I'm afraid).

Fairly sure you are right Hugh as I seem to remember having to rewire my inserts when I went from a Studiomaster to A&H desk.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby FLIP22 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:37 pm

I'd been doing some exploring techniques like that. I will try and follow your method specifically and let you know how it goes.
Thanks guys.

Why is it that you have to go online to people you've never met to find someone who's actually willing to be helpful?
FLIP22
New here

Postby Urthlupe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am

Given this is a 16 into 4 I'm wondering if it's a custom build of the Series 3 modular system? IIRC there were jumpers for insert routing options on the individual channelstrip boards (ooooh, all individual, vertically mounted circuit boards - it were done proper back then.....).

A friend had one for some years - i loved it's smooth sound (I had a Seck.....) but it were noisy as buggery - which nicely complimented his Fostex 1/2inch.. :D

He's a hoarder and may well still have the manuals or could offer advice. Simply ask if you'd like me to chase him up.

Loopy
Urthlupe
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser939150 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:32 pm

Forum Admin wrote:http://pik-fuenf.blogspot.com/2008/12/just-picture-of-my-former-mixing-desk.html?m=1

Manual split into two scanned image files.
It's not available to read. How do I access this?
forumuser939150