You are here

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro vs TC Finalizer Wizard series

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro vs TC Finalizer Wizard series

Postby iceman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:30 pm

hi guys, yes i know behringer stuff gets a bad rep but i was wondering if anyone on here had actually used any of these units and of so what your thoughts/opinions on said units are? I'm basically looking for something to add to my setup to give my mixes a more polished finish, i tend to mix back through my console with compressors and eq outboard etc which is why i'm not going the software route, i like to get hands on

regards

Jon
iceman
Regular
as metal as your nanna`s new hip

Re: Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro vs TC Finalizer Wizard series

Postby Bob Bickerton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Even though you're mixing with outboard and a console I presume you're destination is still a stereo recorded track on a computer. In which case I'd tend to think UAD plug-in options at that point a better option. I'd be surprised if the outboard units you mention would be anywhere close to the likes of UAD's classic emulations.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby grab » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:49 pm

If you don't like software, why use digital EQs in a box? No idea about the TC, but the Behringer has nothing that can't be done equally well with regular EQ and compression plugins.
grab
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby oneflightup » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Don't bother with a behringer unit, you'll only regret it when it stops working and isn't worth fixing. And as the other posters have noted, there's nothing it will do that can't be done better with a good plugin.
I'm also an 'analogue' guy who mixes out of the box with outboard and a real console, but when it comes to mastering I'll either use a plug or, preferably, send the mix off to a mastering engineer.

Best of luck,

Nick
oneflightup
Frequent Poster

Postby The_BPP » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:14 am

I owned a TC Finalizer, back in the day. I always found it to be fairly musical, even at quite compressed settings. I doubt the Behringer could match it, to be honest.

Still, I concur with the other posters. There's some good plugins out there that will beat either of them. I personally like Ozone 6, but you're not short of choices.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby davidpurton » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:16 pm

Clearly appears that most of those replying haven't even used one, so advice is limited to the usual anti behringer vitriole.

I have 3. The behringer stuff I have has been 100% reliable which I can't say for tc electronics or dbx. Mind you it's hard to find a "brand" now that is not owned by music tribe.

The Ultracurve is unique as an outboard equaliser in that it is the only one I can find that has digital in and out. Used solely in the digital domain it remains a "high end" device of superb flexibility. There's even software now to control it from your computer.

It operates as an A to D as well which may be attractive to vinyl junkies, a facility I use with my turntable set up with great results. Of course if that isn't good enough for you, use a high end AD/DA converter and feed directly into the digital in on the Ultracurve..

So given it's performance in the digital domain has never been in doubt, it's inherent reliability and flexibility I would recommend it very highly...snobs may look elsewhere (!), but I doubt they will find a digital eq with these features at any price. If you find one, with dig in and out, please post the info here!!
davidpurton