You are here

I've failed at becoming a commercial musician...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: I've failed at becoming a commercial musician...

Postby Synthman_ » Mon May 02, 2016 9:51 am

Actually I wont totally jack it in just yet. I want to try Ozone 7 because apparantly it allows me to get a true meter reading for mp3 format so ill be able to turned the switches up more to boost my productions for mp3 recordings.
Plus ,when I tried to turn up the mastering compression to boost the vocals, I heard wurring becasue my Aria is broke. I'll buy another one soon and give it another try. I'm sure that Tunecore is still a joke though.
I've also figured out how to copy a vocal recording from the left and paste it to the right or vice versa so I can pan the vocals.
Synthman_
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 02, 2016 10:15 am

Dear Richard

Please listen to what people here are saying. Many posters genuinely wish you well and want to offer constructive advice.

But this latest post shows that you still have a way to go in understanding the tools you're trying to use and how you (might) get your ideas having some genuine commercial bite.

Fixing your mic could be a very simple thing... why just assume you have to throw it away and buy another one? (Is it because you don't know how to go about having it checked-out?) And I find your comment about panning bemusing... either you have a DAW setup which is way different to anything I've ever come across or you're not using the simple controls that (I thought) all DAWS incorporate.

We really do want to help, but it becomes very difficult when you seemingly find it difficult to engage with what we're saying without either ignoring us completely or totally over-reacting. Most of us are not trying to rubbish your efforts... but want to give you practical advice from knowledge of the musical biz and recording/mixing experience.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 02, 2016 2:39 pm

I'm coming around to the conclusion it's all an elaborate wind-up :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby B. McGrew » Mon May 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm coming around to the conclusion it's all an elaborate wind-up :)

just google him - check out his forum posts elsewhere, his soundclick page and his you tube page. u will realise it is a wind up.
B. McGrew
Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Mon May 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Synthman_ wrote:Actually I wont totally jack it in just yet. I want to try Ozone 7 because apparantly it allows me to get a true meter reading for mp3 format so ill be able to turned the switches up more to boost my productions for mp3 recordings.
Plus ,when I tried to turn up the mastering compression to boost the vocals, I heard wurring because my Aria is broke. I'll buy another one soon and give it another try. I'm sure that Tunecore is still a joke though.
I've also figured out how to copy a vocal recording from the left and paste it to the right or vice versa so I can pan the vocals.

I think you've been fooling a lot of people for a long time :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby B. McGrew » Mon May 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Synthman_ wrote:Actually I wont totally jack it in just yet. I want to try Ozone 7 because apparantly it allows me to get a true meter reading for mp3 format so ill be able to turned the switches up more to boost my productions for mp3 recordings.
Plus ,when I tried to turn up the mastering compression to boost the vocals, I heard wurring because my Aria is broke. I'll buy another one soon and give it another try. I'm sure that Tunecore is still a joke though.

I think you've been fooling a lot of people for a long time :-)

his recently deleted sutton coldfield video gave the game away.
B. McGrew
Poster

Postby johnny h » Wed May 04, 2016 3:38 pm

I don't really get it. At least Colin S was funny. What is the point in this?

Good trolling is doing a minimum amount of effort and generating the maximum amount of response. There is so much material up here - videos, music, website subscriptions etc and we're all just a bit \_(ツ)_/¯
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby RegressiveRock » Wed May 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Synthman_ wrote:I spent years trying do gigs and wanted to form a duo. I spent thousands of pounds on advertising over ten years looking for a singer only to be continuously messed around. I attended karaokes, registered on different online singer databases and advertising sites, even advertisied in the Melody Maker when that was still around and the NME. They were all uncommitted timewasters. I refused to go solo because I needed a singer.
I kept on trying different ways to promote my work on Tunecore,Soundcloud,Soundclick,myspace,you tube.
I've come to a conclusion...if you want to get success using these sites you need to have already played your music live at gigs/concerts etc and to have built up a fanbase from playing live.
I couldn't even get a duo together to do gigs.
How frustrating do you think that has been itself over the years?

Okay Mr Steed,

Getting a working group together, be it with two members or many more, is tough. The payday for all the effort you put in to build a repertoire is a long way off when you start and if you do not have a firm plan in mind for what you want to achieve, you may never get there before people go their separate ways.

However, permit me to note that it takes an open mind and a laid back attitude to other people to make it work. So maybe people are not time wasters: their goals may be simply different from yours. I play in two bands: one works regularly and is commercial in its outlook and charging strategy; the other is a loose affiliation of people who get together to do the odd gig for whom getting paid is a bonus.

It is a matter of finding people who want to play in your pond. Your main pleasure in music seems to be original composition. So find other people interested in the same thing.

You may have already tried this route, but being member of the songwriter's guild offers access to a wide range of services including a register of people seeking collaborators and an inexpensive copyright witnessing service. (The latter being a handy service if you are planning to collaborate with relative strangers).

I spent some time on the the guild's collaborator register and met a broad range of writers working at a wide variety of skill levels. This included people who were lyricists, composers, musicians and so on. Some purely wanted to write; others were also keen to use all reasonable means to promote their work including gigging their material.

Just keep on at it, take your time and keep it humble. I am not a massive jazz fan, although I play some. Take a look at some of the words from the greats in this field though... True players all:

A passion for Jazz - Jazz quotes

I particularly like the following, some of which seem apt to your current predicament:

Dizzy Gillespie - "One of the reasons we're here is to be a part of this process of exchange."

Stan Getz - "You can read all the textbooks and listen to all the records, but you have to play with musicians that are better than you."

Charlie Haden - "Creative Arts raise a person to another level of consciousness as if you could imagine life before words."

I know people on here tend to rib you a bit. Perhaps that is in part because you are so driven to do rather than to listen. So if you cannot listen to the words of people on here, (who, by the way, range from loving amateurs to top of their game professionals), try thinking on the words of some of the greats!

Kindest regards,

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby RegressiveRock » Wed May 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Dear Richard

Please listen to what people here are saying. Many posters genuinely wish you well and want to offer constructive advice.

But this latest post shows that you still have a way to go in understanding the tools you're trying to use and how you (might) get your ideas having some genuine commercial bite.

Fixing your mic could be a very simple thing... why just assume you have to throw it away and buy another one? (Is it because you don't know how to go about having it checked-out?) And I find your comment about panning bemusing... either you have a DAW setup which is way different to anything I've ever come across or you're not using the simple controls that (I thought) all DAWS incorporate.

We really do want to help, but it becomes very difficult when you seemingly find it difficult to engage with what we're saying without either ignoring us completely or totally over-reacting. Most of us are not trying to rubbish your efforts... but want to give you practical advice from knowledge of the musical biz and recording/mixing experience.

Oh dear!

Here we go again. :D Hope all is well with you, Mike.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: I've failed at becoming a commercial musician... [Re: Synthman_]
#1204927 - 02/05/16 08:51 AM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote
Actually I wont totally jack it in just yet

Join da club mate...

Postby shufflebeat » Wed May 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Dear Richard

Pearls.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby Synthman_ » Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 pm

What do you think of this version? I gave each track plenty of headroom like how Mr Houghton told me so what do you think?.... Out to Sea 2016
Synthman_
Regular

Postby jaminem » Mon May 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Genius, best thing I've heard all year....
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby FrVd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:56 pm

I do not know you, so I will not judge or comment your motivations. Also, perhaps you left the field several years before. As an amateur musician who also has some experience in the field of sheet music software marketing, I would just like to talk about music. I listened to one title you published here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgLeyPePYc If I was a luna park or a video game arcade owner or a music publisher involved in retro games, I could potentially be interested. It is true that there is a 'noisy element' in your music, yet it may be interesting to create a special atmosphere. So, to all musicians that could still read these pages, I would want to say that, even if the industry is in fact harsh, the main thing is about finding a personal musical identity. It is even the case for listeners, who are the other victims from a certain sort of critics (not all of them) who want to standardize everything. And even technologists sometimes mock unknown artists. Someone here talked about music as a 'commodity'. In fact, music streaming services are, too often, seen as 'music spigots'. Creating music takes time, listening to numerous styles of music and a vast amount of artists take... time. And those people who run website to standardize music, to make it 'radio friendly' and so on do not have time for those who want to think 'out of the box'. Courage!
FrVd

Postby hobbyist » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:22 pm

Synthman_ wrote:After just receiving my latest Tunecore Song review only to find that the review was so insulting and so poor about my work that classes me as talentless after I've spent thousands of pounds on soft synths,plug-ins,lessons etc. I've finally come to a conclusion that my dream of becoming a successful musician is over.
The industry is in a mess and I think it's now pointless in trying to compete with these low lives who's appalling music now dominates the music industry.
I did what I did, the advice I took, the lessons I did, the many hours,days weeks and years of practising, the money I spent, I've failed and now it seems I might just as well look for something else to do.
I just want to say thanks to the people on here who've provided me with the much advice they've given me on here over the years. It's been challenging and fun but I think it's now time to think about doing something else.
Thankyou.
Respect,
Richard Steed
(Synthman)

Sorry if you thought that doing those things guaranteed success.
Somebody misled you.

You do this for fun. If you hit it big that is a bonus.

There are only two ways to make it big, and both require LUCK in addition to talent and hard work. Also you need to start young.

Either you go viral and get a following and then are able to grow that like Bieber.
Or you start small and work hard with strategic planning to guide you and move up steadily like Gaga.

If you had the basic talent then the lessons were good.
Buying lots of plug ins was questionable.
Spending money to learn how to market yourself would have been more useful. Ditto for learning creativity. And learning what the market wants to buy would have helped.

It is easier to sell what they want to buy, then to make them buy what you want to sell.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 am

Deleted - flames; petrol.... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Freelance Subversive » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:45 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Deleted - flames; petrol.... :)

Mr Stranks, some people just want to see the world burn.
Freelance Subversive
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

Necrotastic.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Ahh, this is a bit like when Apple send me 'Memories' slide shows on my phone.

I for one shall be bitterly disappointed if 'Out to Sea' doesn't appear on the SOS Forum compilation album later this year.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Music Wolf wrote:I for one shall be bitterly disappointed if 'Out to Sea' doesn't appear on the SOS Forum compilation album later this year.

Richard appears not to have been active online here (or anywhere else I could see after a cursory scan around) for the last couple of years. Since this thread was last active and in light of information received subsequently, I revised my view of him and came to the conclusion that he was always well meaning and doing his best.

As such, were he to resurface, and were he to wish to be included on the project then I would accept his contribution on the basis that his heart was in it.

Wherever he is and whatever he is doing now, I wish him well.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

PreviousNext