You are here

I've failed at becoming a commercial musician...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: I've failed at becoming a commercial musician...

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 am

Elephone wrote:Did you know that only a tiny percentage of classical pianists at top music schools actually make it? Imagine all that practicing?! That said, most of those who fail could probably blow some minds up close, so I don't know what they end up doing, maybe teaching(?)

In one particular case, a student was told to concentrate on his clarinet playing as he'd never make the grade to be a concert pianist. He went on to play for Cat Stevens, David Bowie, The Strawbs, Yes, have solo success ... and all it took was an aversion to barbers and a spangly cape!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby johnny h » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:45 am

Synthman_ wrote:Actually I wont totally jack it in just yet. I want to try Ozone 7 because apparantly it allows me to get a true meter reading for mp3 format so ill be able to turned the switches up more to boost my productions for mp3 recordings.
Plus ,when I tried to turn up the mastering compression to boost the vocals, I heard wurring becasue my Aria is broke. I'll buy another one soon and give it another try.
When I read the above I was pretty sure it was an elaborate windup.

However, the productions appear to put so much effort into the wrong direction without any attempt at humour or parody, its hard to imagine what the motivation could be. Maybe we'll never know.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Elephone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 pm

MOF wrote:
even Mozart got tossed into a Pauper's Grave :-(

This is one of those myths that people often deliberately perpetuate...

Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians: "Mozart was buried in a common grave, in accordance with contemporary Viennese custom, at the St. Marx Cemetery outside the city on 7 December [1791]."

'Common' graves were actually standard practice for the day unless you were aristocracy.

He was on the equivalent of £100K a year not long before he died and had excellent positions on offer had he lived. He was actually excellent at promoting himself, organised his own concerts, had tickets printed, and sold scores (via Artaria & Co of Vienna).

He was extravagant with clothes, instruments, parties, furniture, etc, ...he owned a billiard table and an Anton-Walter pianoforte ...but had dry patches where he had to borrow money.

His early death may have had more to do with the family's belief in blood-letting and other strange medical practices, e.g. use of quicksilver (mercury) to treat a fever.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Previous