You are here

Tinnitus

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Tinnitus

Postby awjoe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:44 pm

Zukan wrote:I'd swap your white noise for my high frequency sinewaves, ringing and triangle sounds any day...

Mine's a sinewave/white noise combo which pulses, worse on one side of the head, no triangles though. I can't hear much above 12 K, but I don't know if the two are connected. The tinnitus is due to a loud explosive sound near my head when I was about 20. What brought yours about?
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Warhen » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:22 pm

It so s*cks, doesn't it? :madas: I'm a lifelong musician but was fairly fortunate (and wise) to avoid hearing damage. I'm a singer/horn player, so I avoided the assault that a drummer and guitarist would endure. Even so, I took a couple of bad, high-decibel shots years back. I'm 64 now, and have had tinnitus for years on the lower end. After, however, playing for a year with a rock band and standing in front of a very hard-hitting drummer, I developed a new level of higher-end tinnitus on top of it! In fact, at some point, pre-COVID, the ears got really bad- sensitivity to noise in general, nerve pain, and almost constant ringing. I began to wear Eargasm plugs at every gig, and moved away from the drummer and the guitar amp. Thankfully, there's been a lot of healing and those symptoms have settled down a lot, though I'll get occasional blasts of a high-end whine when I'm doing nothing at all. AFAIK, meds: over the counter, holistic, and prescriptive do nothing at all. FWIW, the Eargasm plugs do take the fun out of feeling the music, but I can no longer perform 'naked!' Protect your ears! :crazy:
User avatar
Warhen
Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 am

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller - woodwindist/composer/producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion™

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:38 am

awjoe wrote:
Zukan wrote:I'd swap your white noise for my high frequency sinewaves, ringing and triangle sounds any day...

Mine's a sinewave/white noise combo which pulses, worse on one side of the head, no triangles though. I can't hear much above 12 K, but I don't know if the two are connected. The tinnitus is due to a loud explosive sound near my head when I was about 20. What brought yours about?

Not sure TBH Awjoe. It developed around 7 years ago and has steadily got worse. I have had a lot of health problems and undue stress over the last decade and that could have contributed, but might not have been the cause. Being in 2 wars and a noisy ass revolution didn't help either but I am not sure if tinnitus can be latent - ie be there but unannounced until much later?

I get so many varying degrees of diagnoses that it is often more confusing talking to a doctor than just trying to get through the day. With clearcut cases such as yours it isn't hard to source the cause but with many the causes can range from emotional distress to loud noise....It is a subject that is constantly evolving both in research being cinducted as to the causes and potential treatments.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 8972
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Zukan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:39 am

Warhen wrote:It so s*cks, doesn't it? :madas: I'm a lifelong musician but was fairly fortunate (and wise) to avoid hearing damage. I'm a singer/horn player, so I avoided the assault that a drummer and guitarist would endure. Even so, I took a couple of bad, high-decibel shots years back. I'm 64 now, and have had tinnitus for years on the lower end. After, however, playing for a year with a rock band and standing in front of a very hard-hitting drummer, I developed a new level of higher-end tinnitus on top of it! In fact, at some point, pre-COVID, the ears got really bad- sensitivity to noise in general, nerve pain, and almost constant ringing. I began to wear Eargasm plugs at every gig, and moved away from the drummer and the guitar amp. Thankfully, there's been a lot of healing and those symptoms have settled down a lot, though I'll get occasional blasts of a high-end whine when I'm doing nothing at all. AFAIK, meds: over the counter, holistic, and prescriptive do nothing at all. FWIW, the Eargasm plugs do take the fun out of feeling the music, but I can no longer perform 'naked!' Protect your ears! :crazy:

Good to hear you're experiencing some respite.
User avatar
Zukan
Moderator
Posts: 8972
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Tinnitus

Postby hasser964 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:55 am

Had tinnitus since I was very young!

First appearance of it was at 14 and it's continued to stay until now: 23.

I use earplugs at gigs, and always make sure to keep my headphones low. Always taking breaks around the 1hr mark.

There's also temporary relief you can give yourself by covering your ears, with your hands and tapping the back of your skull 50 times.

Doing this relaxes the muscles that cause it. Not really sure of the science, but it f*** works!
hasser964
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:31 pm

hasser964 wrote:There's also temporary relief you can give yourself by covering your ears, with your hands and tapping the back of your skull 50 times.

With both hands tied up covering your ears, with what do you tap the back of your head?
:wtf: :think: :lolno:
User avatar
Hugh Robjohns
Moderator
Posts: 28326
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Tinnitus

Postby BJG145 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
hasser964 wrote:There's also temporary relief you can give yourself by covering your ears, with your hands and tapping the back of your skull 50 times.

With both hands tied up covering your ears, with what do you tap the back of your head?
:wtf: :think: :lolno:

I was imagining tipping the chair back and banging your head on the wall. (It's something I often feel like doing.)
User avatar
BJG145
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4525
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:00 am

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Warhen » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:27 pm

It's not a 'muscular' condition- it's neurological, specifically, damaged cilia (micro-hairs) triggering sound. That's why it's not possible to alleviate it with current medical science.:cry:
User avatar
Warhen
Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:46 am

Best, Warren

Warren A. Keller - woodwindist/composer/producer
Spontaneous Groovin' Combustion™

Re: Tinnitus

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
hasser964 wrote:There's also temporary relief you can give yourself by covering your ears, with your hands and tapping the back of your skull 50 times.

With both hands tied up covering your ears, with what do you tap the back of your head?
:wtf: :think: :lolno:
Palms over ears, fingers tap the back of the skull. Just tried it and you have to be very, very light-fingered!
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11252
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Folderol » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:
hasser964 wrote:There's also temporary relief you can give yourself by covering your ears, with your hands and tapping the back of your skull 50 times.

With both hands tied up covering your ears, with what do you tap the back of your head?
:wtf: :think: :lolno:
Palms over ears, fingers tap the back of the skull. Just tried it and you have to be very, very light-fingered!
Indeed! It's a quite weird experience :beamup:
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11352
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am
Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Tinnitus

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:52 pm

One could practice scale fingerings
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In the woods in Canada

Previous