You are here

Tinnitus

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Tinnitus

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Interesting, shows how much notice I take of ads on my News Feed :oops:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:40 pm

I saw an interesting article on the subject of tinnitus today:

... researchers show that combining sound and electrical stimulation of the tongue can significantly reduce tinnitus, commonly described as “ringing in the ears.” They also found that therapeutic effects can be sustained for up to 12 months post-treatment.

More information here and here.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Trevor Johnson » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Eddy, thanks for the link. I accessed the full text through my uni account and it appears to be a well conducted randomised controlled trial, which followed CONSORT, even better!

One point to mention after my quick read through, is that one of the inclusion criteria for the study participants, was to have had tinnitus, (as defined in the paper), for between 3 months and five years, thus excluding long term sufferers. This may, or may not be, important.

What is now needed is for other researchers to follow the study protocol and conduct similar studies, followed by a systematic review including a meta-analysis if appropriate.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby SteveKD » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Hi, I remembered reading this thread last year and that a number of you seem very well informed about it. Could I have your opinions please.

A few days ago I noticed a ringing in one ear when playing the piano. At first I thought it was some sort of reflected sound off the wall next to me as I only heard it at the beginning of each chord I played. Turning my head and playing backwards revealed that wasn't the case. I then noticed I heard it whenever I whistled a note.

Doing google research (always dangerous with medical issues!) seems to show tinnitus in just one ear is not common and mention scary things like cancer. (This rang alarm bells for me as my best friend died of a brain tumour, she'd been suffering from tinnitus which suddenly disappeared after we went scuba diving, 6 months later she collapsed and was diagnosed).

I couldn't find any reference to tinnitus turning itself on and off like a compressor or gate.

any ideas please?
Steve
SteveKD
New here

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:39 pm

Get yourself booked in for a check up with an audiologist.
Tinnitus does seem to be a fairly common side-effect from Covid-19, it's not yet clear whether these cases will clear up naturally over time or not.
Either way, get yourself checked by a professional first.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:59 pm

Wise words. The vaccine actually stopped my tinnitus for 2 days but now it comes back even stronger so I’m booking an appointment.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm

There are lots of possible causes of tinnitus, and most are benign, if annoying. Your symptoms could be something as simple as a build-up of wax resting on the eardrum...

So before dredging google and fearing the worst, visit your GP and/or a professional audiologist...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby SteveKD » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks, it's just I was very surprised that the assumption is tinnitus effects both ears.
SteveKD
New here

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:58 pm

If you hear ringing in an ear temporarily for something like a minute or two, it could be the equivalent of a muscle spasm in your ear where one of the receptors at the end of the hair cells activates without any real stimulation. As I understand it, these episodes are fairly normal and nothing to be worried about. If it lasts more than a minute or two then it is worth getting checked out.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby SteveKD » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:23 pm

It's literally just for the 'attack' portion of notes played on a piano above mp/mf and disappears as the note fades.
I will of course get it checked out once lockdown eases.
SteveKD
New here

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat May 15, 2021 1:00 pm

I just wanted to pass this on from a musician innovator friend -
In his case he found his tinnitus became not so severe after he started using hearing aids.

“ Also, I’ve been doing some consulting for a company that makes the high-end stage in-ears that the big name artists use. we’re working on getting prosumer models that are much cheaper than their original models which cost about $5k and require ear molds. They sent me an early version that I’ve been wearing and loving. In addition to being in-ear monitors, each in-ear has a microphone on the outside and the software lets you add in a variable amount of ambient sound so you can hear your acoustic voice or instrument while maintaining the acoustic seal in the ear that’s required for low bass response. These sound amazing - much better low end than my hearing aids and I’ve been experimenting using them instead of my hearing aids, without external sound input. The iPhone app has excellent half-octave graphic EQ that goes from 20-20k and the sound is amazing. The price for these will be about $700 for these and we hope to get that down to about $300 for the next versions. I’ll keep you posted.”
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Previous