You are here

Tinnitus

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Tinnitus

Postby Zukan » Sat May 21, 2016 10:49 am

I have quite extreme tinnitus. Sine waves in both ears 24/7. Wonks helped me to sum both ears and phase cancel the sine wave. However, I now look like a goldfish head-on.

All jokes aside, I am coming across more and more people in our industry that suffer from tinnitus.

I have tried all the usual treatments and via the audiology department at the hospital, via the usual associations etc but none have helped.

What have you guys found that helps with your tinnitus?
Zukan

Re: Tinnitus

Postby mick.n » Sat May 21, 2016 10:59 am

Same here.......sometimes quite mild, but other times more severe. It's bloody awful.

Not found anything that helps so far, but i always wear ER20's when gigging nowadays in the hope it won't get any worse.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Luke JD » Sat May 21, 2016 11:12 am

I've got the high pitched frequency version of it, from listening to headphones too loudly when I was younger I think. It's bloody rubbish
Luke JD
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sat May 21, 2016 11:24 am

I have a low level high pitched E that comes and goes in the left ear (or maybe right brain) only, possibly an early signifier. I find even fairly innocuous fast transients set it off; putting the pans away, cups rattling. Now and again it kicks in for a few seconds then fades out more slowly. I also have an intermittent deaf spot where I lose top end for a few seconds which may or may not be connected.

Caffeine is definitely an agonist. When #3 bought me a new espresso jug for the induction hob my head was whistling like a marching band for two days. Not a huge disabler but definitely IEMs/plugs at gigs.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 21, 2016 11:33 am

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I do have tinnitus, high frequency (10-12k ish), but it is relatively slight most of the time and doesn't bother me unduly. Sometimes, when my sinuses play up it gets louder and seems to add a lower frequency component I found having me ears syringed (vacuumed actually) helped, possible by increasing the ratio of wanted sound to background. I wear ACS Pro17s as much as possible when working/gigging (and always when tearing down in the presence of a DJ..... ). And I try to avoid super loud gigs these days.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat May 21, 2016 12:00 pm

My symptoms match yours, Sam, except possibly slightly more volume. The saving grace is it's a very constant sound that allows my brain to screen it out much of the time, so it's there but I'm not so aware of it. So, yes, I'm probably one of the luckier ones.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Postby Zukan » Sat May 21, 2016 12:47 pm

What do you guys do to alleviate the madness?

There are times I really want to scream from the pain. Docs say there is nothing they can do.
I gave up Caffeine, sugar. but not stress and red meats as some have said meat can mess with the tinnitus. I am assuming our cave dwelling forefathers all had dodgy ears?
Zukan

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm

Zukan wrote:I have quite extreme tinnitus. Sine waves in both ears 24/7. Wonks helped me to sum both ears and phase cancel the sine wave. However, I now look like a goldfish head-on.

All jokes aside, I am coming across more and more people in our industry that suffer from tinnitus.

I have tried all the usual treatments and via the audiology department at the hospital, via the usual associations etc but none have helped.

What have you guys found that helps with your tinnitus?

I fear you have to go back 40 years and TURN IT DOWN! I know quite a lot of people who are going deaf, but I'm afraid the ones with tinnitus are all performers. Maybe the equivalent of a cataract operation for ears will be developed. I hope so.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Luke JD » Sat May 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Mine is luckily quite mild, or milder than it use to be for sure. I avoid loud gigs and mixing at loud volumes like the plague, and it wouldn't be the first time I've had to walk out of the cinema either (I promise I am fun to be around, really). When I get bunged up sinuses from a cold it seems to get much worse too. And Red wine is the devil for mine and seems to amplify it. Beer as well. If I drink either of those I have to drink A LOT otherwise my tinnitus is super loud. Cider's okay, which is just as well coming from Somerset :D
Luke JD
Regular

Postby TheReson8or » Sat May 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Zukan wrote:What do you guys do to alleviate the madness?

There are rimes I really want to scream from the pain. Docs say there is nothing they can do.
O gave up Caffeine, sugar but not stress and red meats as some have said meat can mess with the tinnitus. I am assuming our cave dwelling forefathers all had dodgy ears?

Oh, Stop whining!! (geddit?)......seriously, days off from sound ...middle of nowhere stuff! ..this as a drum teacher with 75 students, mostly taught in tiny (insanity) rooms....also, and I have no scientific proof for this, less dairy based food..I sometimes think dairy creating mucus, clogs up the pipes and affects the function in our inner/ears.....mine comes and goes..I have it now, but didn't realise until this thread ( makes Muttley noises). Dave
TheReson8or
Frequent Poster
My head hurts!

Postby mick.n » Sat May 21, 2016 2:39 pm

i've also got "clicky" ears when i move the jaw around or yawn etc.

I put this down to the eustachian tubes being blocked up a little. The nose decongestant sprays help with that a bit.

On gigging, even with my ER20's, i find the lower frequencies are still too much to bear at times.

May try the ACS PRO17's that Sam mentioned......expensive though.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Albatross » Sat May 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Another sufferer here. Aspirin makes it worse. I don't know if you're a regular aspirin popper (many do for the supposed health benefits) but if you are then lay off for a while and see if it helps.

Otherwise its a brain rewire job.

or

How about signing up as a guinea pig on one of the trials.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Sat May 21, 2016 3:11 pm

You know, the one thing that really upsets me is that I can't go to gigs any more and I have missed some amazing concerts this past 2 years.
Zukan

Postby Dave B » Sat May 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Zukan wrote:You know, the one thing that really upsets me is that I can't go to gigs any more and I have missed some amazing concerts this past 2 years.

And we've been desperately trying to drag him there but it just wasn't feasible!

Question to mick.n : those ER20s - how good are they?

We've been looking for a good set of earplugs for Zuke for a while - we really could do with a set that take the overall level down by a few dBs across the whole audible spectrum. Do these exist?

Most seem to try and tame certain frequency regions only...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Sat May 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks Dave.
Zukan

Next