You are here

8x8 MIDI Interfaces... where are they?!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

8x8 MIDI Interfaces... where are they?!

Postby siderealxxx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 am

Aloha.

This new Logic update will force me on to El Capitan which might be fine, but my trusty Midiman Midisport 8x8 (15 years old!) hasn't had driver updates for years (but still seems to work). Can't help think that El Cap will finish it off for good...

So I looked around at what's on the market and the choice is only the MOTU 128 which lots of people are also complaining about with El Capitan (despite being so called class compliant) or an iConnectivity Mio 10 (whoever/whatever that is).

I'm shocked that we've had MIDI for 30+ years and hardly anyone is making an 8 way MIDI interface! Especially these days with the increase in outboard hardware synth demands. These things must be cheap to make so where are they?

Any recommendations? What are synth heavy peeps doing?
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Re: 8x8 MIDI Interfaces... where are they?!

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:26 am

I am convinced of a plot to get rid of MIDI!

Fewer and fewer interfaces (and devices that USED to have it) are now equipped with MIDI ports. "They" say it can all be done via USB but USB keyboards rarely have MIDI outs and hardly EVER MIDI ins. MIDI thru' is so endangered as to be virtually extinct.

This is all the more annoying because the provision of MIDI is very cheap (you already have a processor!) because the technology is not just "mature" but practically awaiting a royal b'day card! Even some quite low cost guitar amps have DINs.

Sorry for the unhelpful rant!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am

I think iConnectivity is one of the few (if not the only?) firm to tackle this over the last few years. We've seen advancing builds of Windows slowly erode the options we have as older interfaces have lost support over time. It just seems that few firms see the value in trying develop of developing the segment anymore, which given the hardware resurgence of late seems ever more bizarre.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:07 am

MOTU still seem to have a range of well spec'd MIDI interfaces
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:32 am

If it doesn't work, then how about a USB hub and 8 inline USB>MIDI interfaces? In other words, give each of your MIDI devices USB connectivity.

And, seeing as we're not in the Mac forum here... if the 8x8 is really important to you, there are Win 10 64-bit drivers for the 8x8. (Not a great solution if you happen to be a Logic or Garageband user, admittedly :headbang: )
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Brisey » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 am

Hi
I'm running a not so young mac on El Cap with a MOTU 128vand have had absolutely no problems at all. Always found the MOTU midi stuff rock solid. Don't know if that helps but just another perspective.

Cheers. Brian
Brisey
Poster
Old enough, so I should know better!!

Postby siderealxxx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:If it doesn't work, then how about a USB hub and 8 inline USB>MIDI interfaces? In other words, give each of your MIDI devices USB connectivity.

And, seeing as we're not in the Mac forum here... if the 8x8 is really important to you, there are Win 10 64-bit drivers for the 8x8. (Not a great solution if you happen to be a Logic or Garageband user, admittedly :headbang: )

Thanks, yeh it's an option but somewhat inelegant and probably an expensive way of doing things (and yes Mac/Logic here).
siderealxxx
Regular

Postby siderealxxx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Brisey wrote:Hi
I'm running a not so young mac on El Cap with a MOTU 128vand have had absolutely no problems at all. Always found the MOTU midi stuff rock solid. Don't know if that helps but just another perspective.

Cheers. Brian

That's good to know, it's hard to trust the internet sometimes... I've certainly read complaints about the MOTU 128 in relation to recent versions of OSX.

The old Midisport has never dropped a note in 15 years but M Audio don't seem interested in it or any such replacement unfortunately.
siderealxxx
Regular

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:31 pm

I've got a MOTU 128 running just fine under Sierra. This is on a 2012 MacBook Pro 13".
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Get onto fleaBay (other disreputable s/h sites are also available) or SOS ads and look for an old emagic AMT8 or Unitor8. Both seem to be bulletproof boxes which survive every OS update and go strong.

Although I've just realised that I haven't plugged mine in for ages so I'll check that and get back to you ... :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:22 pm

siderealxxx wrote:Thanks, yeh it's an option but somewhat inelegant and probably an expensive way of doing things (and yes Mac/Logic here).

Inelegant perhaps, but not expensive at all. You can pick up a USB>MIDI cable for about £2.50-£3.00 each. And my 7-port USB hub cost me less than a tenner. Hey, maybe I should stick all this in a rack box and call it a 7-way MIDI interface ;)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Would a hub+MIDI interface cable provide the same sort of solid timing that the 8x8 interfaces aimed to provide? I suppose USB3 should provide more than enough bandwidth for each connection to act as if it were independent.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm

MIDISport 4x4 here working fine with El Cap.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
madtheory creations
Soundware Shop

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm wary of the USB-midi cable thingy. I got one to test and it was flawless on my iPad, but would sometimes drop data when connected to the MacBookPro. It was a cheapy so maybe a reputable brand is better (or I should update OS on laptop). Obviously, YMMV
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Matt Houghton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Dave B wrote:I'm wary of the USB-midi cable thingy... Obviously, YMMV

That's a fair health warning, though I've used quite a few of them now, on both OSX and Win 7 and never had a problem. That said, I don't think I've ever tried to route lots of MIDI data through all of them at once. I tend to use them to hook things up conveniently, rather than drive a host of outboard in real time...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby siderealxxx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
Dave B wrote:I'm wary of the USB-midi cable thingy... Obviously, YMMV

That's a fair health warning, though I've used quite a few of them now, on both OSX and Win 7 and never had a problem. That said, I don't think I've ever tried to route lots of MIDI data through all of them at once. I tend to use them to hook things up conveniently, rather than drive a host of outboard in real time...

This is one of the great ironies of our time I suppose. MIDI has always been, and continues to be incredibly simple but totally reliable. But it's being replaced by technologies which seem to be less efficient, more complicated, less reliable and less future proof. I think there's a good reason all the high end synth manufacturers still put real MIDI in their machines.

Or maybe I'm getting old...! I must admit I don't enjoy keeping up with technological progress anymore (ahem, Apple). I crave stability and a choice selection of gear. I can actually make music that way!
siderealxxx
Regular

Postby Dramatic Hammer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:09 pm

I have an old ESI M8U (not the XL) which works perfectly in Win7. Will test it with El Capitan later and report back...
Dramatic Hammer
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

How's about this mio10 (10x10) 1U model from iConnectivity?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/mio10
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,505 top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby porthoss78 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

Forum Admin wrote:How's about this mio10 (10x10) 1U model from iConnectivity?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/mio10

Just looked up the specs for that, it's looks pretty special. You can connect multiple computers to it!

Thanks for the link, when my Midex 8 dies (or drivers stop working), that would be a great replacement.

J
porthoss78
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

siderealxxx wrote:MIDI has always been, and continues to be incredibly simple but totally reliable. But it's being replaced by technologies which seem to be less efficient, more complicated, less reliable and less future proof. I think there's a good reason all the high end synth manufacturers still put real MIDI in their machines.

Hear hear - after all the problems I've experienced over recent years with USB MIDI ports I scrupulously avoid using them when a standard MIDI port is also available as an alternative :headbang:

Besides which , even if you do experience a problem with a standard MIDI port, you can generally fault find it using an LED :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Next