You are here

Tackling room resonances

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Tackling room resonances

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:17 pm

TNGator wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
Ah. Yeah I dont mind cans when recording or lets say listening to educational vids when trying to hear the effect of an EQ or compressor. But i couldnt mix with them. Id feel closed in and claustrophobic.

Nobody is suggesting you mix exclusively on cans, just that you can use them to check the bass.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby TNGator » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:PS...forgot to mention Mike...I was avoiding using headphones to mix but then I noticed you mentioned "open cans" not closed ones. Im guessing the open cans let in a little of the room?

Open cans don't really let any room in because you are not exciting the room but they do sound more natural.
Ah. Yeah I dont mind cans when recording or lets say listening to educational vids when trying to hear the effect of an EQ or compressor. But i couldnt mix with them. Id feel closed in and claustrophobic.

Nobody is suggesting you mix exclusively on cans, just that you can use them to check the bass.
Worth a shot. The car test or Ipod test will be needed in the end to check the sound outside of the room.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

TNGator wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Have you ever tried good open-back headphones? All headphones are not the same... :lol:
No Mike, I only have a pair of closed ones. They are great for recording but Ive never tried open ones. Might be worth investing. Like closed ones, are these designed for studio use as opposed to everyday hi fi headphones?

Yes; there are many different brands, models and prices of open and semi-open aimed at the studio market. People here who've commented use various makes and models, but some 'firm favourites' are:

AKG K701/702/712
Sennheiser HD650

and others that will doubtless be mentioned!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:19 am

TNGator wrote:Worth a shot. The car test or Ipod test will be needed in the end to check the sound outside of the room.

Yes indeed :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby TNGator » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Now this is interesting. So i was watching a vid done by Bobby Owsinski (apparantly a well known mixer etc). He was addressing a college in Canada and talking about home studios. As part of the usual DIY suspects such as Rockwoll he also mentioned everyday carpet underlay. Does it work? Well its not something that's expensive at all so I guess worth a shot. So i was looking at a web site here in Dublin of carpet suppliers and looked their underlay stuff. Have a look at his. Its a product called Acoustalay. And it says in its specs it has a 19dB reduction. It appears to be a product to install if perhaps you live above someone and dont want noise disturbing them.
Now, at only 20 euro for a roll certainly worth a shot. But should we avoid a product that boats sound proofing as opposed to sound treatment. After all, sound proofing and sound treatment are very different animals. I'd never heard of this product before. Anyone here ever come across this?
https://www.ie.screwfix.com/polyolefin- ... y-15m.html
I then found this site in the UK also selling the acoustalay product.
https://www.soundreduction.co.uk/sectors/domestic/
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Sounds like it might work as a 'limp mass membrane' but you'd need to check prices of 'proper' stuff.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

I doubt it has enough mass to be very effective as a LMM, although it might work in multiple layers...

I imagine it's really designed to attenuate direct mechanical vibration from footfall noise, rather than deal with energy from acoustic air movement.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:26 pm

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby TNGator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:58 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I doubt it has enough mass to be very effective as a LMM, although it might work in multiple layers...

I imagine it's really designed to attenuate direct mechanical vibration from footfall noise, rather than deal with energy from acoustic air movement.

H
:thumbup: I think so...it does seem to be geared towards footfall etc. But for 20 euro a roll it might be worth the experiment.and as you say I can layer it to get say 10cm or such. I'll keep y'all posted.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Wonks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 am

Note that it has a waterproof membrane layer. That means that sound waves won't pass through it like it does through open celled foam, so multiple layers will not be anything like as effective as rockwool. For bass traps, you can normally get away with one impermeable layer (as long as it is free to move), but I'd have thought that once you get to two layers, especially if pressed together, you won't get any further worthwhile improvement by adding more.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby TNGator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Wonks wrote:Note that it has a waterproof membrane layer. That means that sound waves won't pass through it like it does through open celled foam, so multiple layers will not be anything like as effective as rockwool. For bass traps, you can normally get away with one impermeable layer (as long as it is free to move), but I'd have thought that once you get to two layers, especially if pressed together, you won't get any further worthwhile improvement by adding more.

Good point. Which brings us back to the question of sound proofing versus sound treatment. Well it was worth looking into I guess. We can only experiment unless your lucky enough to be qualified in acoustics sciences. And i can barely spell those words.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby James Perrett » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm

The right sort of carpet underlay could have its uses but it needs careful thought. I've used the underlay made from recycled car tyres in my studio under the floor joists and also where the walls meet the floor. This was after seeing how the old fashioned felt underlay was used by the company who built my previous studio.

In previous builds we had used neoprene sheet in those places but the underlay was cheaper than neoprene sheet so I thought it was worth a try.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby TNGator » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:19 pm

James Perrett wrote:The right sort of carpet underlay could have its uses but it needs careful thought. I've used the underlay made from recycled car tyres in my studio under the floor joists and also where the walls meet the floor. This was after seeing how the old fashioned felt underlay was used by the company who built my previous studio.

In previous builds we had used neoprene sheet in those places but the underlay was cheaper than neoprene sheet so I thought it was worth a try.
Is that the multi coloured stuff? I have that under the carpet in the front room. It looks like someone chopped up bits of runner and compacted them together with glue.
I saw something on the AIKEA site which might be useful. A large mesh laundry bag. I have some spare mineral wool but its on a roll. Hard to work with and get into a frame. Shoved down into a large mesh bag it would be easy to experiment with. The bag is only a fiver. Cant go wrong there. Two of them and i could test them in two corners. If all else fails...I can always just go and get the pack of rockwool slabs. At the end of the day its the one product everyone agrees is a very good DIY option.
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby blinddrew » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:28 pm

All being well I'll be able to confirm on the rockwool front in about a month or so. Maybe a couple of months to allow for 'learning experiences'.
But frankly, if Max says to use RW3 rockwool then that's what I'm going to use! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 pm

TNGator wrote:Is that the multi coloured stuff? I have that under the carpet in the front room.

This is the stuff I used

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/duralay_s ... erlay.html

It seems to help cut out most external noise apart from low flying Chinooks.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 pm

TNGator wrote:I saw something on the AIKEA site which might be useful. A large mesh laundry bag. I have some spare mineral wool but its on a roll. Hard to work with and get into a frame. Shoved down into a large mesh bag it would be easy to experiment with. The bag is only a fiver. Cant go wrong there. Two of them and i could test them in two corners.

Why bother? you don't need the mesh bag for anything other than cosmetics, leaving the insulation in the plastic bag it came in will be just as effective at low frequencies. Just shove a couple of bags the corners and see if the room sounds better. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby TNGator » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:10 am

James Perrett wrote:
TNGator wrote:Is that the multi coloured stuff? I have that under the carpet in the front room.

This is the stuff I used

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/duralay_s ... erlay.html

It seems to help cut out most external noise apart from low flying Chinooks.

:thumbup:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby TNGator » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
TNGator wrote:I saw something on the AIKEA site which might be useful. A large mesh laundry bag. I have some spare mineral wool but its on a roll. Hard to work with and get into a frame. Shoved down into a large mesh bag it would be easy to experiment with. The bag is only a fiver. Cant go wrong there. Two of them and i could test them in two corners.

Why bother? you don't need the mesh bag for anything other than cosmetics, leaving the insulation in the plastic bag it came in will be just as effective at low frequencies. Just shove a couple of bags the corners and see if the room sounds better. :thumbup:
To be honest I thought the plastic would simply bounce all frequencies back. I didnt think anything would get through. Quick question. As its most likely the low frequencies that cause problems, when looking at a room sweep graph, should i concentrate only on frequencies below a certain value. Say everything below 400 Hz for example. Or even from 6 or 700 down maybe?
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:23 am

TNGator wrote:To be honest I thought the plastic would simply bounce all frequencies back. I didnt think anything would get through.

Imagine yourself standing on the other side of that plastic - what frequencies would you still hear? Most of them, apart from the very high ones ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby TNGator » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 am

Martin Walker wrote:
TNGator wrote:To be honest I thought the plastic would simply bounce all frequencies back. I didnt think anything would get through.

Imagine yourself standing on the other side of that plastic - what frequencies would you still hear? Most of them, apart from the very high ones ;)

Martin
Cant say I would have known the answer to that one bro. Ah so much to learn. Do you use a diffuser...no..why? Your room is too small. Do i put stuff on the wall? No, its the corners are the problem. Theres a guy on a website called Acousticfields.com says its a myth that the corners are the problem. You need to treat the front wall. And of course you could always treat the side walls. AAAAAAHHHHHH
Im officially starting to go insane regarding this stuff. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

PreviousNext