You are here

Will RX6 audio editor solve my rustle problem?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Will RX6 audio editor solve my rustle problem?

Postby hooty2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi all,
I have put a work in progress track of mine on Soundcloud & identified x3 places where a rustle/crackle made during recording session, is especially obvious.
(2.05, 4.41, 6.49,)
The source is an Acoustic Guitar, line in to RME UFX, and i suspect maybe a dodgy cable?

https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/c ... ax/s-bd4Xu

Do any users of the Izotope RX6 software have a comment as to whether this is the sort of thing the RX6 could eliminate or reduce?

I'm thinking of investing in the software.
I have been reading reviews and posts about the RX6 & i am aware of a steep learning curve.

Any comments would be appreciated.
many thanks
hooty2
Regular

Re: Will RX6 audio editor solve my rustle problem?

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm

It should certainly help, and in some cases the results are almost miraculous, but you do need to know what you're doing. If you are steeped in audio I doubt you would have much trouble with it.

Alternatively you could farm out the work to someone who can do it for you - I doubt it would incur heavy costs if it's just a few spot fixes as you've noted.

You know where I am! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:25 pm

If I was you I'd discuss terms with the Elf... a knowledgeable chap who knows audio back to front and upside down!

Unless you have to do a lot of 'rescuing' then using an 'agent' like the Elf may be the best solution for all sorts of reasons...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:49 pm

If you want to buy RX6 Elements right now is a very good time because they're having a flash sale or something and right now it only costs $29. That's £27 in England by the time you've converted it and added VAT - still a substantial bargain and I bought it yesterday on the grounds that at that price it was worth buying just to find out if I have uses for it (I'm sure I will have).

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... ments.html

CC

Edit: apparently the offer runs out of steam at the end of tomorrow (28th).
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:42 pm

It sounds as if it may have started out as a series of small clicks, but then reverb was added. I would go back to the guitar stem track and temporarily bypass the reverb or whatever other effects have been added to reveal the unprocessed sound(s) . It may be some simple clicks which could be dealt with by a Declicker. You may already have one in your current DAW tools. That would be my first line of investigation.

Really we dont need to hear the whole mixed track, just the offending sounds on the relevent guitar track. Could you upload just the guitar track with no processing?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:22 am

thanks all for those replies.

here is the link for the isolated and much shortened soundcloud sample:

https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/c ... le/s-Tll6N

Thanks for offers/advice on using third party skills etc. I would want at this stage to learn basic use of RX6 myself. A portion of my work is just me noodling my own poems.

However, i do record various choirs in cathedrals and halls and occasionally at a folky type festival.....that is when i may use a third party for critical production (we know where you live (well virtually:))

I just downloaded the 'elements' package, thanks for heads up, that's a great way to get involved in the software.

re: my song.....if i did not have original files to hand, would RX be able to work still....i think that was answered above, but just to clarify, in the context of my effected stereo track?

regards
hooty2
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 am

hooty2 wrote:re: my song.....if i did not have original files to hand, would RX be able to work still....i think that was answered above, but just to clarify, in the context of my effected stereo track?

Well, it'll certainly help! Ideally you want to clean sound as close to source as possible, but you are where you are...

You'll already have discovered that you can preview what RX will do to the sound as well as listen just to the stuff that RX is going to remove. That way you can tell if, with current settings, you'll take too much wanted audio with the clicks.

But don't be afraid to experiment with the settings until you get the best you can achieve. It's all non-destructive edits so until you do your 'save file' you can always undo if you don't like the result.

... and often several passes removing 'layer's of noise produce more acceptable results than trying to go for one big hit...

The advantage of outsourcing is that the person will almost certainly have more comprehensive restoration tools than you do... For instance, RX Elements is a good little package, but the facilities in the 'full fat' version are something else - especially the spectral editor!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks for the isolated guitar track.

There's still a kind of "reverb" effect there. To hear it better I slowed the playback. Surprisingly in slow playback, each "reverb" sound appears first, followed by a "tic" at the end point. That's the opposite of what we normally hear in nature where the impulse is first, followed by the reverb.

A Declicker seemed to remove the impulse but of course not the "reverb" sound that precedes it.

Are you sure there wasnt some other processing, perhaps upstream of the recorder such as an effects unit?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:55 am

so i double checked...all fx muted and all sends to fx muted

master fader only has Manley variable mu compressor and audio went direct to a folder dedicated to soundcloud 24bit files

guitar tuned DADDAD
fx applied in RME totalmix to headphones only
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:57 am

p.s.
i forgot to add 'thanks' for for looking/listening empirically at this.
much appreciated
hooty2
Regular

Postby hooty2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:00 am

p.s.s.

slowed down, hmmm, i hear what you report
hooty2
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:26 am

hooty2 wrote:However, i do record various choirs in cathedrals and halls and occasionally at a folky type festival.....

Off topic, but we folkies are a small but vociferous minority on the forum. Welcome onboard.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby The Elf » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:37 am

hooty2 wrote:here is the link for the isolated and much shortened soundcloud sample:

https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/c ... le/s-Tll6N
Can you make that clip downloadable and/or send it to me via PM. I'll see what I can do. If we have an example that can be fixed then we have a way forward.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm

hooty2 wrote:p.s.
much appreciated

No problem. It looks like you can download a free demo version of RX6, even the Advanced version.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Aural Reject » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:
hooty2 wrote:p.s.
much appreciated

No problem. It looks like you can download a free demo version of RX6, even the Advanced version.

Just be careful with it...once you find out what it can do you might end up selling body parts to buy it ;)
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby hooty2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:07 am

trialling a demo now
(maybe my university daughter will buy a copy! together we actually did audio restoration of a very basic kind for some of her audio visual presentations)

thanks to concertina chap for welcome note.
And before i get ahead of myself (or raise expectations!)...last folk gig i recorded at was a floody muddy Priddy a few years back (Rory McCloud: Familiar Strangers) bolting myself onto the FOH rig in the wee wet hours. Went well.
Mostly it's choirs and balladeers in my sitting room now.
hooty2
Regular

Postby Aural Reject » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:15 am

hooty2 wrote:Mostly it's choirs and balladeers in my sitting room now.

The standard and advanced versions are highly useful for things like live performances that need 'rescuing' from coughs / splutters / chair squeaks / all sorts of other unexpected things...and also for removing stuff from the most 'musical' takes you have on formal sessions....using the spectral editing facilities, but they're not available on Elements....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby hooty2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 pm

cheers for insider insights:)

on another note, i posted the wrong link in my first post...that link was to something i wished no one had heard.
I know the moment has passed but i'm not comfortable with the wrong piece of work being archived.

can any moderators swap it for this one please?
https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/c ... ax/s-bd4Xu

if anyone comes back to hear the noise in context, the times are below.

2.05, 4.41, 6.49,

cheers
hooty2
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Done
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hooty2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:12 pm

thanks Hugh
hooty2
Regular

Next