You are here

Recommend CD printer?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recommend CD printer?

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 am

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent ink jet printer for printing on CDs? I've been using the stick on labels in the past but they aren't ideal for a number of reasons. CD printing is my only requirement - our need for colour printing is otherwise amply covered by a heavy duty high quality LED printer left over from my wife's days as a graphic designer and greetings card publisher.

I should also say print runs will be short, a dozen at the very most. If I needed more than that I'd go to a CD duplicator.

TIA

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Re: Recommend CD printer?

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 am

I suspect it's no longer made but I've had one of these https://www.epson.eu/products/printers/ ... photo-r265 for years, I'm sure there's a current model in their range.
Inks are expensive but the generics work just as well at a fraction of the price.*
Comes with the software for setting the images on the CD, which is basic but functional.
I'm about to curse myself, but I've had zero problems in the time I've owned it and been very happy with the print.

*Would be worth checking carefully on this, I read a while back about printer manufacturers putting rfid chips on inks to force you to use own-brand stuff.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

I don't do much of it now, but I've used various Epson printers to print on-body CD artwork without any problems.

I recently had to change my office printer as the last one died. The new one is an XP-760 which I bought partly because it has a CD print capability -- although I haven't yet got around to trying it... so it's probably a bit pointless telling you about it! :blush: :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:23 am

I have a Canon iP7250... very pleased with it. Also does double-side paper printing...

https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_ip7250/specification.aspx
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby James Perrett » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I have an old Canon IP4200. I nearly bought a newer Canon with CD capability recently but the reviews were very discouraging. I thought that the IP4200 took long enough to print the first CD but apparently the newer ones take much longer. Once the IP4200 gets started, it prints a batch of CD's reasonably quickly.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby artzmusic » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:27 pm

I am using the Canon MX922 which does OK. It uses the My Image Garden software which is very limited.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm

I must say the IP7250 does look the right sort of printer at the right price. My only concern would be this Image Garden software, which from the documentation looks as if it tries to do everything but nothing well. All I need from it, as I say, is to print CDs, not organise my photos or edit them or anything else!

Many thanks for the thoughts so far.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:57 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I must say the IP7250 does look the right sort of printer at the right price. My only concern would be this Image Garden software, which from the documentation looks as if it tries to do everything but nothing well. All I need from it, as I say, is to print CDs, not organise my photos or edit them or anything else!

Many thanks for the thoughts so far.

CC

Image Garden does try to be all things to all people and takes a bit of getting used to. But once you've worked out a workflow I don't find it particularly irksome. I also have some on-CD templates that I use that speed the process even further. If you have any version of Photoshop (Elements or Full Fat) I'd be happy to share those. (I only use IG for CD prints... I don't go near it for doc or photo printing.)

As some reviewers have commented, when it has a mind to it takes a l-o-n-g time to get itself set-up. It whirls, clanks, shuffles to itself while you have time for a light lunch! Of course, I exaggerate, but it can take two or three minutes to get itself fettled on occasion.

But it's proved to be totally reliable with all forms of printing
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster
The older I get, the better I used to be

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks for that, Mike. My wife has a full-fat Photoshop, so if I get the IP7250 (which I probably will) I'll take you up on that.

Cheers,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 am

Definately Canon :thumbup:

I have had several over the years and they line up and print perfectly.

My latest is the Pixma TS8050 which scans and prints from a smart-phone as well as printing double-sided.

£134.99 from Amazon and was one of the more expensive ones as I wanted the scanning (photocopying) and smart-phone prinying as well - but, most important, it had to print DCs/DVDs.

Very happy. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:46 am

I have an old Epson R200 which still soldiers on producing decent basic CD prints using Hornsea Inkjet Supplies super-cheap ink. Will definitely replace with whichever Epson does CD printing when it eventually dies.

BTW the quality of the result depends as much on the quality of the white coating on the blanks as it does the printer.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:45 am

Which blanks do you find good, then?

Thanks,

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:45 pm

John Willett wrote:Definately Canon :thumbup:

I would be interested to know how you find the new ones compared to the older ones. I was thinking of going for a Canon when our general household printer died recently but the reviews from people who had owned older Canons looked bad. My IP4200 in the studio still works fine but it probably won't carry on forever.
James Perrett

Postby James Perrett » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:47 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:Which blanks do you find good, then?

Never had any problems with either the standard Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables or the Watershield version but I've no idea what the newer CMC manufactured discs are like.
James Perrett

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm

I found that some unbranded/no-name blanks didn't take ink as well as Verbatim/TDK/Phillips etc, but I have also had success with TraxData from Scan too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm

James Perrett wrote:Never had any problems with either the standard Taiyo Yuden inkjet printables or the Watershield version but I've no idea what the newer CMC manufactured discs are like.

Yes I remember you saying you'd stocked up on them while you had the chance.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Scramble » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:05 pm

I've had Canons and Epsons over the years, including for CD printing, and I found Canon's were definitely better.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm

James Perrett wrote:
John Willett wrote:Definately Canon :thumbup:

I would be interested to know how you find the new ones compared to the older ones. I was thinking of going for a Canon when our general household printer died recently but the reviews from people who had owned older Canons looked bad. My IP4200 in the studio still works fine but it probably won't carry on forever.

My new one is great and prints in better quality than the old one.

I did have a bit of trouble printing my first disc and had to get telephone help - but fine.

The line-up is automatic and prints perfectly every time.

Image Garden is a new software for creating the image, but the learing curve was OK - the biggest downside is that it cannot print from the old Canon CD image files and I have to make them again if it's a re=print from the old - but as I passed on the old printer to the wife I just print old CD files to the old printer.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am

Sorry for the slight zombification of this thread, but this article shows that companies are still trying to tie you into the expensive ink scam: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170 ... .shtml#c27
So if you've not already bought, I'd avoid HP.
blinddrew
Frequent Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:56 pm

James Perrett wrote:My (Canon) IP4200 in the studio still works fine but it probably won't carry on forever.

I've got that exact model, and it's worked fine for years, but now all that happens when you turn it on is multiple flashing of one of the front panel indicators but no other sign of life :cry:

I can't decide whether or not to replace it - do I really need to print many more CD artworks now CDs are falling out of favour? :beamup:

By the way, if anyone has any hints and tips on how to get it back up and running I'd be grateful (sod's law indicates that I still have around a dozen unopened ink cartridges for it stored away :x )

Martin
Martin Walker

Next