You are here

Need feedback on the mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Need feedback on the mix

Postby Hound About » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 am

Hi all,
Looking for any feedback on my mix.
Any comments are welcome, don`t hesitate to point drawbacks, gaps, flaws what is wrong etc.
https://soundcloud.com/hound-about/you-and-i
Thanks to all.
Hound About
New here

Re: Need feedback on the mix

Postby Dave B » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

I'd want to do quite a lot to this. So far I have :

1. the 'acoustic' that starts it sounds dangerously like a Roland keyboard patch (Fantom?) and that slide is too distinctive and sticks out
2. it also has too much reverb so it sounds 'distant'
3. the other instruments that come in are unbalanced
4. the 'box' percussion (cajon?) doesn't actually match the timing of the track - it needs to accent on the beats. This gets worse when the 'without you' bit comes in as the timing changes and the percussion doesn't change with it
5. the vocals are slightly off in both timing and pitching and need to be at least eq'd to sit in the track
6. when the 'full band' comes in the balance is out still
7. the lead guitars have some dodgy notes and are mixed way too loud.
8. I can hear distortion on the mix - are you pushing a limiter very hard on the stereo bus? Whilst it can make it 'louder' it can also lead to distortion if there are some dodgy levels in the mix

My advice would be to strip the reverb off first, get a nice, simple balance and a little eq/compression, then bring in small amounts of reverb to give a sense of space rather than depth. A touch of delay on the guitar and vocal can sometimes work better than lots of reverb.

HTH
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Hound About » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 pm

Dave B, thanks a lot for the detailed answer and clear tips.
1. Guitar is miked 12 string but it seems I have really over eq`ed it and added too much reverb
I will try to implement your advise starting with less reverb and percussion timing and will revert with new version.
Hound About
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Out of curiosity, how many reverbs are you running? As well as what Dave says above, it feels like each instrument is sitting in its own space rather than all being in a single environment. Though it's quite difficult to tell with the levels as they are.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hound About » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 am

blinddrew, you are right. In this mix I used individual reverbs on guitars, vox, percussion/drums and strings pad. Normally I would use 2 reverbs (one for the early, one for the tail) placed on 3 sends EQ`d and early/ tail mixed for front/mid/back stage. But it didn`t work here the way I wanted. Maybe that`s a mistake...
I agree with all Dave`s comments but for point 4. - do you also hear percussion as out of time?
And vocals out of pitch?
I`m redoing with less reverb and levels and will revert with the new version.
Hound About
New here

Postby Hound About » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Here is the new version. Don`t know if I`ve managed to make it much better..
What do you think?
https://soundcloud.com/hound-about/you-and-i-ver-2
Hound About
New here

Postby The Elf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:32 pm

It's a difficult to mix to comment on, because it really is a long way from a commercial average. The tonal balance is very strange - the vocals are muffled and boxy, and the mix as a whole seems to lack sparkle. The drums are so far back and muffled that the mix lacks drive. The drums (apart from the hand drums) also seem to lack any stereo width.

Some of the lead guitar notes sound wrong.

At the very least the vocals need some tuning help, but quite honestly... and I'm not trying to be deliberately cruel here... could you get someone else to sing? I think that this would do more for the song than any amount of technical work.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby SammyMixer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Really like the brightness and clarity of the acoustic guitar.

I think the voice could be a bit more prominent with less obvious autotune.

Would also like the electric guitar to sit a bit better in the mix as it comes as quite a shock when it comes in! Or perhaps that's what you intended ! :)
SammyMixer
New here

Postby Hound About » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:08 pm

The Elf, thank you. I will definitely record another singer when I have a chance to.
In the meantime I`ve tried to remove boxiness and muffle and also worked a little bit on the drums.
How does it feel now?
https://soundcloud.com/hound-about/you-and-i-ver-3
Hound About
New here

Postby jollyon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Hound About wrote:Dave B, thanks a lot for the detailed answer and clear tips.
1. Guitar is miked 12 string but it seems I have really over eq`ed it and added too much reverb
I will try to implement your advise starting with less reverb and percussion timing and will revert with new version.

Hey dude. I found this article on mixing with reverb really useful: https://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-m ... th-reverb/
jollyon
Poster
http://www.jollyon.com

Postby Hound About » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 pm

System Heavy, thanks for the article it`s really useful!
I`ve removed reverb from the guitars both acoustic and electro and used delays instead, Now reverb is on the percussion, drums, strings pad and voice only.
Could you comment on ver 3 and ver 4 of my mix. Are there any improvements? https://soundcloud.com/hound-about/you-and-i-ver-4
Hound About
New here